宇 都 宮 市
|Geographical location in Japan|
(October 1, 2019)
|Population density :||1663 inhabitants per km²|
|Community key :||09201-1|
|Postal code area :||320-0001-329-1116|
|Flag / coat of arms:|
|Flower :||Rhododendron indicum|
|Day :||April 1st|
Utsunomiya City Hall
1 - 1 - 5 , Asahi
|Location of Utsunomiyas in Tochigi Prefecture|
The origin of the name is not certain, but probably comes from ichi-no-miya , which designates the highest Shinto shrine in a province, here the forerunner province of Tochigi, Shimotsuke , and refers to the Futaarayama shrine in the city center.
It is located about 100 km north of Tokyo . As Utsunomiya is increasingly becoming the place of residence for day commuters working in Tokyo, the number of inhabitants is growing steadily.
Utsunomiya also has a Canon optics factory, a Japan Tobacco factory, Honda design centers and various other industrial groups in the Kiyohara Industrial Park. There is also one of the largest shopping centers in the North Kanto region near the city center.
Utsunomiya is still known in Japan today as a production facility for Gyōza (dumplings with meat filling).
Utsunomiya lists five twin cities :
|Auckland (previously: Manukau City )||New Zealand||1982|
|Qiqihar||People's Republic of China||1984|
sons and daughters of the town
- Kozue Andō (* 1982), soccer player
- Minori Chihara (* 1980), voice actress and singer
- Yukio Edano (* 1964), politician
- Yūta Koike (* 1996), soccer player
- Koiso Kuniaki (1880–1950), 28th Prime Minister of Japan
- Ikuo Matsumoto (* 1941), football player and coach
- Keiya Nakami (* 1991), soccer player
- Aya Sameshima (* 1987), soccer player
- Wahei Tatematsu (1947-2010), writer
- Kōhei Tezuka (born 1996), football player
- Sadao Watanabe (* 1933), jazz saxophonist
- Tetsurō Yano (born 1946), politician
- Naoki Yamamoto (* 1988), racing driver
- Tochigi SC (football club)
Neighboring cities and communities
- う つ の み や ま ち づ く り 市民 会議 第 １ 回 全体 会 ・ 分科 会 資料 . (No longer available online.) City of Utsunomiya, 2005, p. 14 , archived from the original on March 5, 2016 ; Retrieved July 9, 2013 (Japanese). Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- 宇 都 宮 市 の 国際 交流 - 宇 都 宮 市 . Archived from the original on April 12, 2015. Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved April 5, 2015.