City of Montabaur
|Height :||189–220 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||1.43 km²|
|Residents :||62 (Aug 1, 2018)|
|Population density :||43 inhabitants / km²|
|Incorporation :||April 22, 1972|
|Postal code :||56410|
|Area code :||02602|
Location of Wirzenborn in Rhineland-Palatinate
Wirzenborn (dialect "Weazeborn") is a district and a local district of Montabaur in the Westerwaldkreis in Rhineland-Palatinate . In terms of population, it is the smallest district of Montabaur. Until 1972 Wirzenborn was an independent municipality in what was then the Unterwesterwaldkreis .
The pilgrimage site Wirzenborn is located in the northern part of the Westerwald part of the Nassau nature park in the Gelbachtal, about three kilometers east of downtown Montabaur. In the southeast is the Montabaur district of Reckenthal . The district of Wirzenborn also includes the Grubenhaus and Wirzenbornermühle residential areas to the right of the Gelbach .
Middle Ages and Electoral Trier times
Wirzenborn lies in the area of the ban and parish of Humbach (later called Montabaur), which was first described between 930 and 959 . The place was first mentioned in 1363 with the names "Wirzindale" and "Wurcendal" in a list of properties of the Ebersbach monastery . The first settlement took place on a sliding slope lying in a wide meandering loop of the Gelbach , which was called "Küppelfeld" (today's field name "Kippelfeld"). The first part of the place name is derived from the personal name "Wirzo". In the 15th century, a chapel was built on a rock on the left side of the Gelbach, because of a spring or fountain next to it, the chapel was called "Wirzenborn" from the beginning. Later the name Wirzenborn was also transferred to the village.
According to a directory from 1548, the three localities Bladernheim , Reckenthal ( Reckendal ) and Wirzenborn (then still called Wirzendal ) formed a "colliery" (administrative district) of the Electorate of Trier Montabaur . The management of "mine" was one of Montabaurer bailiff used Heimburger transmitted. The three villages together had 19 fireplaces ( courtyards ). Six Malter oats had to be given to the St. Florin Abbey in Koblenz every year . In the Trier fire book of 1563 six fire places are given for Wirzenborn, which corresponds to about 30 inhabitants. This also included the mill, which was built in 1486. In 1684 there were also six fireplaces, three Trier , one West Burg and two Isenburg subjects (families) were counted.
In 1786 Wirzenborn had 50 inhabitants.
Nassau and Prussian times
Until the beginning of the 19th century, Wirzenborn belonged to the right bank of the Rhine from Kurtrier , which was assigned to the Principality of Nassau-Weilburg as a result of the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss 1803 . After the formation of the Rhine Confederation , Wirzenborn belonged to the Duchy of Nassau from 1806 . Under the Nassau administration, Wirzenborn was assigned to the Nassau Office of Montabaur and until 1815 to the administrative district of Ehrenbreitstein, then to the administrative district of Wiesbaden .
According to statistics from the Duchy of Nassau from 1843, the municipality of Wirzenborn had 95 inhabitants who lived with 23 families in 17 houses. The residents were without exception Catholic.
In 1866 the Duchy of Nassau was annexed by Prussia . The municipality of Wirzenborn became part of the Prussian province of Hessen-Nassau in 1867 and belonged to the then newly formed Unterwesterwaldkreis . In 1946 the municipality of Wirzenborn became part of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate .
As part of the Rhineland-Palatinate municipal reform that had begun in the mid-1960s , the previously independent municipality of Wirzenborn was incorporated into the town of Montabaur on April 22, 1972 with 119 inhabitants.
Marien pilgrimage church
A pilgrimage chapel in Wirzenborn was first mentioned in 1497, but at that time it had existed for some time. The pilgrimages took place mainly from Montabaur and were possibly first caused by the great city fire in 1491. From 1498 to 1510 the present church was built in place of the chapel. The Wirzenborn miraculous image , a standing Madonna with the baby Jesus on her left arm and the scepter in her right, is estimated to date from around 1380 due to its shape. The miraculous image did not come to Wirzenborn until 1600, and it probably comes from an abandoned Benedictine convent in the Westerwald. In the 18th century, fifteen stations with depictions of the seven joys and the seven sorrows of Mary were set up on the old pilgrimage route from Montabaur to Wirzenborn .
In 1784 , the Archbishop of Trier , Clemens Wenzeslaus , forbade all processions that stretched over an hour. Then the pilgrimages to Wirzenborn were stopped. No pilgrimages took place during the Nassau period (1803–1866) either. From 1890, after the time of the Kulturkampf , and after 1945 (end of the Second World War), the pilgrimages were revived.
The pilgrimage church Wirzenborn belongs to the Montabaur parish of St. Peter in Ketten.
Since 1817 Wirzenborn formed a school association together with the neighboring communities Bladernheim and Reckenthal . The common school building was in Reckenthal. The children have been going to school in Montabaur since 1972. Wirzenborn belongs to the school district of the Joseph-Kehrein-Elementary School.
The district of Wirzenborn is identical to the district of the same name , which corresponds to the former municipality of Wirzenborn. The interests of the local district are represented by a local advisory board and a local director .
In the direct election on May 26, 2019, Christel Müller was confirmed in her office as mayor for another five years with a share of 94.87% of the votes.
- See also list of cultural monuments in Montabaur
- The center of Wirzenborn is designated as a monument zone . This includes the historically grown town center with a number of half-timbered houses , the pilgrimage church and the walled churchyard, the rectory, the station path , the war memorial and a fountain .
- In the private motorcycle museum in Wirzenborn , vintage motorcycle vehicles from seven decades are on display.
- The place is connected to Montabaur and the A 3 federal motorway as well as the Montabaur ICE train station via the L 313 state road . The L 313 leads south to Horhausen .
- Statistics of the Montabaur municipal authority administration
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate (ed.): Official directory of the municipalities and parts of the municipality. Status: January 2019 [ Version 2020 is available. ] . S. 76 (PDF; 3 MB).
- Josef Hörle: Die westerwälder deadlines, the tenth district of the church in Montabaur , archive for Middle Rhine church history, 5th year 1953, p. 363 ff ( online edition at dilibri )
- Hans Becker: The Pilgrimage Church in Wirzenborn , Archive for Middle Rhine Church History, 3rd year 1951, p. 187 ff ( online edition at dilibri )
- Melchior Thamm: Directory of the villages and fireplaces as well as the pensions and validities of foreign masters in the city and under the spell of Monthabaur, anno domini 1548 , Montabaur: Sauerborn, 1906, p. 30 ff. ( Online edition at dilibri )
- Melchior Thamm: The Montabaur official description of the Trier court councilor Damian Linz from the year 1786, Montabaur: Sauerborn, 1909, p. 9 ( online edition at dilibri )
- Christian Daniel Vogel : Description of the Duchy of Nassau , Beyerle, 1843, p. 670 ( online edition at Google Books )
- Official municipality directory 2006 ( Memento from December 22, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) (= State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate [Hrsg.]: Statistical volumes . Volume 393 ). Bad Ems March 2006, p. 187 (PDF; 2.6 MB). Info: An up-to-date directory ( 2016 ) is available, but in the section "Territorial changes - Territorial administrative reform" it does not give any population figures.
- Pastoral area Montabaur
- Main statutes of the city of Montabaur (PDF; 121 kB) from July 15, 2004, as of April 15, 2010
- The Regional Officer for Rhineland-Palatinate: Local Advisory Council election 2019 Wirzenborn. Retrieved June 22, 2020 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: direct elections 2019. see Montabaur, Verbandsgemeinde, 21st line of results. Retrieved June 22, 2020 .
- Wirzenborn motorcycle museum