Wolfgang Hans Reitzle (born March 7, 1949 in Neu-Ulm ) is a German business manager . From January 2003 to May 2014 he was CEO of Linde AG , from April 2014 to May 2016 he was Chairman of the Board of Directors of LafargeHolcim . Wolfgang Reitzle has been Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Linde AG since May 21, 2016, and Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Continental AG since 2009 .
After graduating from high school in Ulm in 1967, Reitzle studied mechanical engineering and economics at the Technical University of Munich . In 1971, at the age of 22, he graduated as the youngest graduate of the university to become a qualified engineer. Until 1974 he worked as a scientific assistant at the Institute for Materials and Processing Sciences, where he received his doctorate summa cum laude in 1974 in metal physics . From 1972 to 1975 he completed a second degree in industrial engineering and economics .
In 1976 he began his professional career at the vehicle manufacturer BMW as a production specialist, and in 1983 he became head of research. After several managerial positions, he was promoted to Chief Development Officer in 1987. In the following years he played a major role in the successful product development and sales growth of the BMW Group . During this time, he acquired the reputation of a successful automobile manager (nickname: Car Guy ) and was accordingly sought after in the industry. He resisted an attempt to poach the sports car manufacturer Porsche , u. a. because he was considered to be the successor to long-time BMW CEO Eberhard von Kuenheim . Surprisingly, however, a companion of Reitzle, the later Volkswagen boss Bernd Pischetsrieder , became the new CEO of BMW in 1993.
In 1999 Reitzle went to the US car manufacturer Ford . As CEO of the Premier Automotive Group (PAG), he was responsible for the corporate brands Jaguar , Aston Martin , Volvo , Land Rover , Lincoln and Mercury .
In 2002 he moved to the board of directors of the German gas and technology group Linde and became chairman of the board in 2003. As the world's largest manufacturer of hydrogen systems, Linde AG under Reitzle wanted to focus more on the automotive business with hydrogen drives. In February 2005, Reitzle made headlines when he propagated the feasibility of a German hydrogen filling station network in the near future. On September 6, 2006, under his leadership, Linde succeeded in taking over the British industrial gas manufacturer BOC , while at the same time splitting off the Linde Material Handling (industrial truck) division, which now operates as the Kion Group with its brands Linde, Still and OM . With this merger and now repositioned, The Linde Group is concentrating on the industrial gases business and is one of the world market leaders in this area. The headquarters of the company was relocated from Wiesbaden to Munich in 2007.
In the semi-annual survey “Managers according to grades” by the consulting firm Marketing Corporation, in which 1000 managers are surveyed, Reitzle received the best rating on average at the end of 2007 and was thus the top manager in Germany with the highest reputation among colleagues.
On September 9, 2009 it was announced that Reitzle - in addition to his duties for Linde - will be chairman of the supervisory board of the automotive supplier Continental , to which he was officially appointed on October 19, 2009 and which would resign from the supervisory board of Deutsche Telekom AG and the Kion Group .
His total remuneration as CEO of Linde AG for 2011 amounted to 6.8 million euros (the total remuneration consisted of fixed remuneration, benefits in kind / fringe benefits, variable remuneration and stock options; he also received pension commitments).
He has been a member of the board of directors of the world's largest building materials manufacturer Holcim , Jona / Switzerland, since 2012 , and in 2014 he took over the presidency from Rolf Soiron . In the course of 2015, the merger of Holcim and Lafarge resulted in the cement company LafargeHolcim with annual sales of almost 35 billion euros. Reitzle resigned from his post in May 2016.
At Medical Park AG he became a member of the supervisory board in January 2014 and chairman of the supervisory board in June. He also acquired a 10% share in the company. In April 2014 he became a member of the Supervisory Board of Axel Springer SE . He sat on the supervisory board of the Hawesko wine trading group between mid-2014 and June 2017.
2016: Return to Linde
After the stipulated “cooling off phase” of two years, Reitzle returned to Linde as head of the supervisory board. On May 21, Reitzle took over the post from the previous chairman Manfred Schneider .
In January 2018 Reitzle was appointed to the supervisory board of the fashion company Bogner .
Reitzle has two daughters from his first marriage. In 2001 he married the television presenter Nina Ruge .
- 2006: Manager of the year
- 2006: Bavarian State Medal for Services to Environment and Health
- 2007: Bavarian Order of Merit
- 2010: Yellow Angel of the ADAC as Personality of the Year
- 2010: VDZ Golden Victoria as entrepreneur of the year
- 2015: Federal Cross of Merit, 1st class
- 2016: Finance Medal from the Bavarian State Ministry of Finance
- Wolfgang Reitzle: Luxury creates wealth. Rowohlt , Hamburg 2003, ISBN 3-498-05762-6
- Wolfgang Reitzle: industrial robots. CW publications , Munich 1984, ISBN 3-922246-22-2
- Wolfgang Reitzle , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 45/2014 of November 4, 2014, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely available)
- Change of guard at Linde: Reitzle hands over intact company. In: n-tv.de. May 20, 2014, accessed June 28, 2014 .
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Reitzle elected chairman of the supervisory board of Linde AG | The Linde Group. In: The Linde Group. Retrieved June 4, 2016 .
- Supervisory Board of Continental AG. Retrieved November 17, 2019 .
- Munzinger-Archiv GmbH, Ravensburg: Wolfgang Reitzle - Munzinger Biographie. Retrieved July 26, 2018 .
- Professor profile: Reitzle_Wolfgang. In: www.professoren.tum.de. Retrieved September 24, 2016 .
- What is he thinking? - Wolfgang Reitzle, deputy chairman of the board at Ford - brand eins online. In: www.brandeins.de. Retrieved September 25, 2016 .
- SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hamburg, Germany: CAREER: “That really hurts” - DER SPIEGEL 12/1999. In: www.spiegel.de. Retrieved September 25, 2016 .
- Spiegel Online , December 22, 2007
- Linde boss Reitzle new head of the Conti supervisory board , zeit.de of October 19, 2009
- Change in the Telekom supervisory board - Eon boss becomes controller. In: Handelszeitung Online. January 5, 2010, accessed January 5, 2010 .
- Linde Financial Report 2011. (PDF) (No longer available online.) P. 28 , formerly in the original ; Retrieved March 9, 2012 . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Linde AG annual financial statements 2011. (PDF) (No longer available online.) P. 7 , formerly in the original ; Retrieved March 9, 2012 . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Büchele follows Reitzle as Linde boss. Süddeutsche Zeitung (online), September 27, 2013, accessed on September 29, 2013 .
- Matthias Pfander: The man who pulled the strings. In: Tages-Anzeiger from April 12, 2014
- Megafusion: Cement companies form new number one. In: Spiegel Online from April 7, 2014
- LafargeHolcim: Chairman Wolfgang Reitzle resigns - Beat Hess as successor | cash. In: www.cash.ch. Archived from the original on June 4, 2016 ; accessed on June 4, 2016 .
- John Revill: LafargeHolcim's Wolfgang Reitzle to Return to Linde . In: Wall Street Journal . February 8, 2016, ISSN 0099-9660 ( wsj.com [accessed August 23, 2016]).
- New Chairman of the Supervisory Board for Medical Park ( Memento of the original from December 6, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Tegernsee voice, November 15, 2013
- Reitzle turns his hobby into a job , Manager Magazin , accessed on June 18, 2015
- SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hamburg Germany: Ex-CEO: Wolfgang Reitzle elected Linde supervisory board chairman. In: SPIEGEL ONLINE. Retrieved August 23, 2016 .
- Nina Ruge and Wolfgang Reitzle marry quietly in Tuscany. Die Welt (online), September 12, 2001, accessed July 30, 2014.
- ( page no longer available , search in web archives: Wolfgang Reitzle receives personality award 2010 ). Announcement from ADAC, accessed on January 14, 2010.
- Archived copy ( memento of October 26, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- Literature by and about Wolfgang Reitzle in the catalog of the German National Library
- Appointment of Wolfgang Reitzle as CEO ( Memento from March 11, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Wolfgang Reitzle on the Linde Group website ( Memento from September 9, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Reitzle, Wolfgang Hans|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German manager, CEO of Linde AG (since January 2003)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 7, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New Ulm|