|Metropolitan bishopric||Archdiocese of Vienna|
|Diocesan bishop||Aegidius Zsifkovics|
|Emeritus diocesan bishop||Paul Iby|
|Vicar General||Martin Korpitsch|
|Dean's offices||12 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|Parishes||173 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|Residents||286,215 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|Catholics||201,260 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|Diocesan priest||135 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|Religious priest||26 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|Catholics per priest||1,250|
|Permanent deacons||26 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|Friars||29 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|Religious sisters||100 (December 31, 2013 / AP 2013 )|
|cathedral||St. Martin Cathedral (Eisenstadt)|
|address||St. Rochus-Strasse 21
The Diocese of Eisenstadt ( Latin : Dioecesis Sideropolitanus ) is a Roman Catholic Austrian diocese based in Eisenstadt , which belongs to the ecclesiastical province of Vienna . She is responsible for the federal state of Burgenland .
Episcopal church of the diocese is the cathedral of St. Martin in Eisenstadt, whose history goes back to the 13th century. The diocesan area was part of Hungary until the end of the First World War and belonged to the dioceses Győr / Raab and Szombathely / Steinamanger until 1922 . In 1921 the state of Burgenland became part of Austria.
From 1922 to 1949 the Archbishops of the Archdiocese of Vienna were appointed Apostolic Administrators . Under Cardinal Theodor Innitzer , the Burgenland seminary in Vienna and a boys' seminary were established. The church administration was moved from Vienna to Eisenstadt .
The annexation of Austria in 1938 brought severe setbacks due to the dissolution of private Catholic schools and the obstruction of pastoral care. The church administration had to be relocated first to Mattersburg and then to Bad Sauerbrunn .
The Eisenstadt diocese maintains the private high school Gymnasium of the Eisenstadt Wolfgarten diocese in Eisenstadt.
List of bishops
- Friedrich Gustav Cardinal Piffl (Archbishop of Vienna, Administrator 1922–1932)
- Theodor Cardinal Innitzer (Archbishop of Vienna, Administrator 1932–1949)
- Joseph Schoiswohl (Titular Bishop of Phytea, Administrator 1949–1954)
- Stephan László (administrator 1954–1960, diocesan bishop 1960–1992, retired, administrator 1992–1993)
- Paul Iby (1993-2010)
- Agidius Johann Zsifkovics (since 2010)
Since 1924 St. Martin of Tours the diocesan patron.
- Franz Buchberger and Josef Dirnbeck (editors), Diocese of Eisenstadt (ed.): Burgenland Yearbook 2010. Encounter and dialogue. 50 years of the Eisenstadt diocese. with escort words of the bishops of neighboring dioceses: Archbishop Christoph Schoenborn of Vienna Archdiocese , Archbishop Stanislav Zvolenský for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Bratislava , Bishop Lajos Pápai for the Diocese of Győr / Raab, Bishop András Veres for the Diocese of Szombathely / Szombathely, Bishop Marjan Turnšek for the Diocese Murska Sobota and Bishop Egon Kapellari for the Diocese of Graz-Seckau .
- Diocese of Eisenstadt - Official homepage
- Eisenstadt diocese - Martinsfest
- St. Martin Cathedral
- Entry on Diocese Eisenstadt on catholic-hierarchy.org
- Diocese of Eisenstadt , cultural assets of the order
- Parish report Burgenland. In: martinus.at. Diocese of Eisenstadt, accessed on April 5, 2020 .
- parishes: Burgenland pioneer. In: ORF.at . September 23, 2012, accessed April 5, 2020 .
- diocese relies on "pastoral care rooms". In: ORF.at. February 21, 2007, accessed April 5, 2020 .
- Burgenland: Revolt against the bishop. In: DiePresse.com . July 16, 2010, accessed April 5, 2020 .
- Believers protest: "We want our pastor back". In: Kurier.at . February 26, 2014, accessed April 5, 2020 .