Hunger was director of the papyrus collection of the Austrian National Library from 1956 to 1962 , university professor in Vienna from 1962 to 1985 and president of the Austrian Academy of Sciences from 1973 to 1982 . He founded the Vienna School of Byzantine Studies and was the first to hold the chair for Byzantine Studies at the University of Vienna .
The Heidelberg Academy of Sciences , he belonged since 1978 as a corresponding member. On October 10, 1980, Hunger was elected a corresponding member of the philological-historical class of the Saxon Academy of Sciences . In the same year he was accepted into the American Philosophical Society . In 1987 he became a corresponding member of the British Academy .
Hunger was buried at the Vienna Central Cemetery .
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Phoenix of the Hellenic Republic
- Large Cross of Merit with Star of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- 1968: Wilhelm Hartel Prize
- 1974: Cardinal Innitzer Prize (appreciation prize for the humanities)
- 1979: Prize of the City of Vienna for the humanities
- 1981: Austrian Decoration of Honor for Science and Art
- Large gold medal for services to the Republic of Austria
- Large gold medal for services to the state of Vienna
- Studies on Greek palaeography (= Biblos-Schriften. 5, ). Hollinek, Vienna 1954.
- as editor: Byzantine Spiritual World. From Constantine the Great to the fall of Constantinople. Holle, Baden-Baden 1958.
- Lexicon of Greek and Roman Mythology. Hollinek, Vienna 1953, (8th, expanded edition, ibid. 1988, ISBN 3-85119-230-3 ; Reinbek 1974).
- with others: ancient and medieval books and writings. History of transmission of ancient literature (= history of text transmission of ancient and medieval literature. 1). Atlantis, Zurich 1961.
- Empire of the new center. The Christian spirit of the Byzantine culture. Styria, Graz et al. 1965.
- Catalog of the Greek manuscripts of the Austrian National Library. 6 volumes. 1961-1994 (recte -1995).
- Byzantine basic research. Collected articles (= Variorum reprint CS. 21). Variorum Reprints, London 1973, ISBN 0-902089-55-2 .
- Lexicon of Greek and Roman Mythology. Reinbek 1974.
- The high-level profane literature of the Byzantines (= Handbook of Classical Studies . Dept. 12: Byzantinisches Handbuch. Tl .: 5, 1–2). 2 volumes. Beck, Munich 1978;
- Epidosis. Collected writings on Byzantine intellectual and cultural history. Edition Maris, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-925801-05-7 .
- Writing and reading in Byzantium. The Byzantine book culture. Beck, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-406-33391-5 (In modern Greek language and alphabet: .. Ο κόσμος του βυζαντινού βιβλίου Γραφή και ανάγνωση στο Βυζάντιο . Ινστιτούτο του βιβλίου - Μ Καρδαμίτσα, Αθήνα 1995 ISBN 960-354-017- X ).
- Prochoros Kydones' translations of S. Augustinus, De libero arbitrio I 1-90 and Ps.-Augustinus, De decem plagis Aegyptiorum (= Vienna Studies . Supplement. 14). Publishing house of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1990, ISBN 3-7001-1719-1 .
- Thinking along the lines of language. Johann Nestroy's ingenious as well as banal alienations through neologisms (= Austrian Academy of Sciences. Philosophical-Historical Class. Meeting reports. 664). Publishing house of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1999, ISBN 3-7001-2790-1 .
- Peter Soustal: Bibliography Herbert Hunger. In: Yearbook of Austrian Byzantine Studies . Vol. 51, 2001, pp. 1-40.
- Wolfram Hörandner , Johannes Koder , Maria A. Stassinopoulou (eds.): Viennese Byzantine Studies and Neo-Greek Studies. Contribution to the symposium Forty Years Institute of Byzantine and Neo-Greek Studies at the University of Vienna in memory of Herbert Hunger, (Vienna, December 4-7, 2002) (= Byzantina et Neograeca Vindobonensia. 24). Publishing house of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 2004, ISBN 3-7001-3269-7 .
- Andreas Külzer (Ed.): Herbert Hunger and the Vienna School of Byzantine Studies. Retrospect and Prospect. Novi Sad 2019, ISBN 978-86-6263-243-2 .
- Members of the HAdW since it was founded in 1909. Herbert Hunger. Heidelberg Academy of Sciences, accessed on July 5, 2016 .
- Members of the SAW: Herbert Hunger, Prof. Dr. phil. habil. Saxon Academy of Sciences in Leipzig, accessed on July 5, 2016 .
- Member History: Herbert Hunger. American Philosophical Society, accessed October 6, 2018 .
- Deceased Fellows. British Academy, accessed June 12, 2020 .
- Literature by and about Herbert Hunger in the catalog of the German National Library
- Hungry, Herbert . Publications in the bibliographic database of the Regesta Imperii .
- Entry on Herbert Hunger in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Otto Kresten : Herbert Hunger (PDF; 2.7 MB), in: Almanach of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, year 2000 (Munich 2001)
- Johannes Koder : Herbert Hunger (1914–2000) (PDF; 1.9 MB), in: Yearbook of Austrian Byzantine Studies 50 (2000)
- Johannes Koder : Herbert Hunger (PDF; 528 kB), in: Hellenika 1999/2000
- Hermann Hunger : Herbert Hunger , in: Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 151/4 (2007) 457-460.
- Dominik Cobanoglu: Herbert Hunger and the establishment of Austrian Byzantine Studies at the University of Vienna
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian Byzantinist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 9, 1914|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 9, 2000|
|Place of death||Vienna|