|Nickname : Surf City USA|
View of the Huntington Beach Pier
|Location in California|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Orange County|
|Coordinates :||33 ° 40 ′ N , 118 ° 0 ′ W|
|Time zone :||Pacific ( UTC − 8 / −7 )|
|Residents :||189,992 (as of 2010)|
|Population density :||2,781.7 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||81.7 km 2 (approx. 32 mi 2 ) of
which 68.3 km 2 (approx. 26 mi 2 ) are land
|Height :||12 m|
|Area code :||+1 714|
|GNIS ID :||1652724|
|Mayor :||Debbie Cook|
Huntington Beach is a coastal city in Orange County, Southern California . In 2010, the city had 189,992 residents according to the US Census Bureau census. Huntington Beach is known for its long Pacific beach , which offers very good opportunities for surfing . This is why the city has the unofficial nickname Surf City . In addition to tourism , the production of oil is an important branch of the economy.
Huntington Beach is home to famous surfers and skateboarders.
The area was originally occupied by the Tongva Indian people. The first European settler was the Spanish soldier Manuel Nieto. In 1784 he was given land as a reward for his military service.
The Huntington Beach Pier was built in 1904. Huntington Beach was registered on February 17, 1909. The first mayor was Ed Manning. In the first few years the community was oriented towards agriculture.
In 1906 the first high school, Huntington Beach High School, was built. Meadowlark Airport existed from the 1940s to 1989.
The 2010 census showed a population of 189,992, in 2000 it was 189,594. The population increased by only around 400 within this decade. Compared to other cities in California, this population growth is small. Nearly half of the population, 45 percent, has a Hispanic background. The number of so-called Latinos has increased significantly since 2000, when this population group only made up 32 percent. Around three quarters of the population are white, while Latinos make up 17 percent. Other ethnic groups, such as African American or Asian, are minorities in the urban population.
The number of households was 74,582 according to the 2010 census. For every 100 women there were 98.5 men, the median age was 40.2 years.
The climate in Huntington Beach is very Mediterranean . Summers have little precipitation and are usually hot. Daytime temperatures of over 30 degrees Celsius are more the rule than the exception. Even 40 degrees can be reached in the summer months. The winters are usually very mild due to the coastal location, frost hardly occurs in Huntington Beach, the mean temperature in December and January is between 10 and 18 degrees. In addition to mild temperatures, the winter months are characterized by significantly more rain . Throughout the year, an average of 295 mm falls, of which the largest share is spread over the months of October to April.
sons and daughters of the town
- Michael Arrington (* 1970), founder and former editor-in-chief of TechCrunch
- Jason Lee (born 1970), actor and producer
- Keri Kelli (* 1971), guitarist
- Tito Ortiz (* 1975), mixed martial arts fighter
- Brooke Miller (* 1976), racing cyclist
- Cori Schumacher (* 1977), surfer
- Ethan Embry (born 1978), actor
- Lauren German (* 1978), actress
- Ali Hillis (* 1978), actress
- Beau Bokan (* 1981), metal musician
- Michael Patrick Carter (born 1981), actor
- The Rev (1981–2009), musician and songwriter
- Matt Costa (* 1982), singer and songwriter
- Jayden Cole (* 1985), American porn actress and actress of Irish and Lebanese origins
- Eva Angelina (* 1985), porn actress and model
- Brandy Aniston (* 1986), porn actress
- Rhett Rakhshani (* 1988), American-Iranian ice hockey player
- Jasmine Tookes (* 1991), model
- Brent Rivera (* 1998), actor and Youtuber
- Sasha Chmelevski (* 1999), ice hockey player
Personalities related to the city
- Walter Trout (* 1951), blues guitarist
- Jürgen Klinsmann (* 1964), former German soccer player and coach , lives with his family in Huntington Beach
- Dexter Holland (* 1965), singer, guitarist and songwriter for the punk band The Offspring
- Paul Walker (1973-2013), actor
- Wee Man (born 1973), actor on the Jackass show
- Mitch Lucker (1984–2012), former singer of Suicide Silence
- Guttermouth (formed in 1988), punk rock band
- Avenged Sevenfold (founded 1999), metal band
- Information and pictures on CityData.com (English)
- ↑ United States Census 2010 ( Memento from February 20, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ Climate in Huntington Beach at weather.com (English)
- ↑ Daniel Meuren: Here our hope goes bathing. July 13, 2006, accessed March 5, 2013 (newspaper article about Jürgen Klinsmann).