Man of the Match
As Man of the Match and Player of the Game (German: player of the encounter ) is called an award that is awarded in various sports at the respective most outstanding player of the game. The term originally comes from cricket , but is now also used in some other sports. Usually a player on the winning team wins this award. But it also happens that a member of the losing team is awarded as Man of the Match if the individual performance was correspondingly unique. While the man of the match in amateur sport is usually just a prize, in professional sport - especially in cricket - it is associated with cash prizes and trophies.
In cricket, the title of Man of the Match is usually given to the player who has made the greatest contribution to his team's victory. More rarely, a player from the losing team is also crowned Man of the Match . In exceptional cases, several players will be named Man of the Match for a single game. Sachin Tendulkar tops the list of most man-of-the-match awards at One-Day Internationals (ODIs), followed by Sanath Jayasuriya . The first man of the match in an ODI game was the Englishman John Edrich at the first ODI on January 5, 1971. At the World Championships , the award was given in the final to the following players:
Soccer world championships
The best player is determined for each final round game, since 2010 via internet voting.
|competition||Man of the match in the final|
|2006 Germany||Andrea Pirlo|
|2010 South Africa||Andrés Iniesta|
|2014 Brazil||Mario Götze|
|2018 Russia||Antoine Griezmann|
With four awards for the games against Denmark , Japan , Brazil and Uruguay , the Dutch soccer player Wesley Sneijder received this award most often at the 2010 Soccer World Cup . At the 2014 World Cup , Argentine Lionel Messi won the trophy four times, the most frequently.
- Thomas Müller (in the game for third place against Uruguay and in the round of 16 against England )
- Bastian Schweinsteiger (in the quarterfinals against Argentina )
- Mesut Özil (in the preliminary round match against Ghana )
- Lukas Podolski (in the preliminary round match against Australia )
- Mario Götze (in the preliminary round against Ghana and in the final against Argentina )
- Thomas Müller (in the preliminary round match against Portugal and in the preliminary round match against the United States )
- Toni Kroos (in the semifinals against Brazil )
- Mats Hummels (in the quarterfinals against France )
- Most player-of-the-match awards . Cricinfo. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- England [Marylebone Cricket Club tour of Australia, 1970/71] . Cricinfo. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- Man of the Match on de.fifa.com , accessed October 21, 2010
- The 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany ™ in figures at fifa.com
- Overview "Man of the Match" . From: Fifa.com , accessed December 13, 2010.
- Overview "Man of the Match" . From: Fifa.com , accessed October 9, 2014.