Matua ( Russian Матуа ; Japanese 松 輪 島 , Matsua -tō ) is an island belonging to Russia in the central Kuril group . Their area is 52 km². 30 km southwest is Rasschua ( 羅 処 和 島 , Rasutsua-tō ), 18 km northeast is the small island of Raikoke ( 雷公 計 島 , Raikoke-tō ).
Administratively, the island of Matua belongs to Sakhalin Oblast .
The stratovolcano Sarychev , one of the most active volcanoes of the Kuril Islands with an altitude of 1496 m, is located near the north-western tip of the island . After a 20-year dormant phase, a violent outbreak occurred on June 12, 2009.
The island is visited by cruise ships from time to time .
- 北方 領土 の 位置 と 面積 ( Eng . "Location and area of the Northern Territories"). (. No longer available online) 北方領土問題対策協会 (dt. "Society for action on the issue of the Northern Territories") [ Independent Administrative Institution of the Cabinet Office ], archived from the original on 23 February 2009 ; Retrieved July 3, 2009 (Japanese). Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Sarychev on Matua in the Global Volcanism Program of the Smithsonian Institution (English)
- Matua ( Memento from December 23, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) in the Insel-Encyclopedia www.oceandots.com (English)
- Spektrumdirekt, notification of the Sarychev eruption, June 24, 2009
- The Kuril Biocomplexity Project (English)