Sophie, Countess of Wessex
HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex , GCVO (born January 20, 1965 in Oxford ; born Sophie Helen Rhys-Jones ) is a patron, former PR manager, and through her marriage to Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex , the youngest son of the Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and Northern Ireland , member of the British royal family.
Origin and education
Sophie Rhys-Jones is the daughter of Christopher Bournes Rhys-Jones (* 1931), a tire dealer, and his wife Mary Rhys-Jones, née O'Sullivan (* 1934 in Ireland; † August 29, 2005 in Tunbridge Wells ), a from Ireland coming secretary. Her parents had been married since 1961. Sophie has a brother, David Bournes Rhys-Jones (* 1963). The paternal grandparents were Theophilus Rhys Jones (1902-1959), Rector, and Margaret Patricia Newal Molesworth (1904-1985). The maternal grandparents were Cornelius Thomas O'Sullivan (1896–1939), bank clerk, and Doris Emma Stokes (1901–1984). About her ancestor Nicholas St John (1526–1589) and his wife Elizabeth Blount, Sophie is related to her husband Edward, who is also descended from this couple.
Sophie grew up with her brother in the countryside in Brenchley, Kent . Sophie received her education at Dulwich College Preparatory School in Cranbrook and at Kent College For Girls in Pembury. She then trained as a secretary at West Kent College .
Marriage and children
|British royal family|
On the occasion of the marriage, her husband was given the title of Earl of Wessex as well as that of Viscount Severn to indicate the origin of Sophie's family from the Welsh borderland (the Severn is a river that has its source in Wales).
Sophie's full title is Her Royal Highness, The Princess Edward of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Countess of Wessex and Viscountess Severn .
Since her marriage, the Countess has been called Sophie Wessex in everyday life at her own request .
After having an ectopic pregnancy in 2001 and had to undergo emergency surgery, the Countess and her husband have two children:
- Lady Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary Mountbatten-Windsor (born November 8, 2003 in Frimley, Surrey )
- James Alexander Philip Theo Mountbatten-Windsor, Viscount Severn (born December 17, 2007 in Frimley, Surrey )
She lives with her family in Bagshot Park .
Profession and duties
After completing her training, she began a career in public relations . She worked in the London press department of Capital Radio and for various PR firms. In 1996 she founded her own PR agency R-JH Public Relations with a partner, Murray Harkin . In 2002 she had to resign as managing director of her company under pressure from the royal family and the public. The cause of this retreat into private life was a scandal known as the Sophie Gate .
Together with her business partner, she had arranged a business appointment with a "Sheikh Mohammed" who allegedly had an assignment for her company. This sheikh was a journalist in disguise who recorded the conversation. The News of the World interview with Sophie, in which she defended against rumors that her husband was homosexual , also caused a scandal .
Since 1999 she has therefore increasingly devoted herself to charitable tasks and represents the royal family in public. It supports approximately 77 non-profit organizations. Many of them are dedicated to children or disabled people.
Orders and decorations
|year||Country||Orders / decorations||class|
|2004||United Kingdom||Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II||member|
|2005||United Kingdom||Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John||Lady of justice|
|2010||United Kingdom||Royal Victorian Order||Grand Cross Lady|
|2002||United Kingdom||Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal||medal|
|2012||United Kingdom||Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal||medal|
|2005||Canada||Commemorative Medal for the Centennial of Saskatchewan||medal|
A few weeks before the wedding, the Sun newspaper published photos of Sophie with bare breasts. The photos came from a vacation in Spain.
The Countess had to undergo many fertility treatments to get pregnant. In 2005 there were rumors of a new pregnancy that turned out to be false.
- Official website ( Memento of January 8, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) (English)
- Birthday parade shortly before the wedding, article from Spiegel Online from June 12, 1999
- Interview before the wedding, article from Spiegel Online from June 13, 1999
- Blockbuster royal house . In: Der Spiegel . No. 24 , 1999 ( online marketing of the wedding).
- Wedding gifts, article from Spiegel Online from June 18, 1999
- Wedding preparations, article from Spiegel Online from June 18, 1999
- manipulated wedding photos, article from Spiegel Online from June 22, 1999
- Picture of Sophie's parents, Christopher and Mary Rhys-Jones , (1999) ( Memento from October 11, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Family tree of the Rhys-Jones family ( Memento from July 4, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- Family tree
- Wedding, article from Spiegel Online from June 19, 1999
- pregnancy and emergency surgery, article from Spiegel Online from December 7, 2001
- Discharge from hospital, article in Spiegel Online from December 10, 2001
- Pregnancy with daughter, article from Spiegel Online from May 6, 2003
- Birth of daughter Louise, article from Spiegel Online from November 9, 2003
- Official announcement of the birth of Viscount Severn ( Memento of January 8, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- Birth of Viscount Severn, article from Spiegel Online from December 17, 2007
- Sophie-Gate I., article from Spiegel Online from April 2, 2001
- Sophie-Gate II., Article from Spiegel Online from April 5, 2001
- Scandal with business partners, article from Spiegel Online from April 8, 2001
- Monarchy in crisis, article from Spiegel Online from April 9, 2001
- Sophie-Gate III .: Real countess, false sheikh . In: Der Spiegel . No. 16 , 2001 ( online ).
- Sophie-Gate IV., Article from Spiegel Online of April 20, 2001
- "My Edward is not gay", article from Spiegel Online from April 7, 2001
- Family photographs of The Earl and Countess of Wessex with Lady Louise Windsor
- The Countess of Wessex appointed to the Royal Victorian Order
- Scandal over nude photos, article from Spiegel Online from May 26, 1999
- Scandal over nude photos II., Article from Spiegel Online from May 26, 1999
- Apology from the Sun newspaper, article from Spiegel Online, May 27, 1999
- Scandal over nude photos III., Article from Spiegel Online from May 28, 1999
- Alleged pregnancy, article from Spiegel Online from August 10, 2005
|SURNAME||Sophie, Countess of Wessex|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Rhys-Jones, Sophie Helen (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British noblewoman, wife of Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 20, 1965|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oxford|