Harry, Duke of Sussex
HRH Prince Henry Charles Albert David, Duke of Sussex , Earl of Dumbarton, Baron Kilkeel KCVO (born September 15, 1984 in London ; called Prince Harry , German Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex ), is the second son of Prince Charles and Princess Diana .
He is sixth in line to the British throne after his father and older brother Prince William and his children Prince George , Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis . He is a grandson of Queen Elisabeth II and her husband Prince Philip and therefore comes from the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg family , a branch of the Oldenburg family .
|British royal family|
Childhood and youth
Prince Harry was born at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington , London . Like his two year older brother William, he attended the London schools Mrs. Jane Mynor's Nursery School and Wetherby School as well as the Ludgrove School in Berkshire and Eton College , also in Berkshire. In June 2003 he graduated from high school (A-Level, corresponds to the German Abitur) in art and geography .
He was persecuted by paparazzi in his youth ; Rainbow magazines and tabloids reported extensively on Harry's party visits, flirting and pub crawls ( underage drinking is illegal in the UK , but widespread). At the age of 17 Harry admitted to smoking cannabis . In January 2005 he was seen at a costume party in a costume with a swastika armband, which was supposed to represent a uniform of Erwin Rommel's Africa Corps .
From May 2005 to April 2007 he received officer training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst . In April 2006 he was sworn in in the presence of his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II and a member of the Blues and Royals Guard Cavalry Regiment . During military service he used the name "Harry Wales". In May 2007 he was to be used with the regiment in Iraq . However, his superiors decided that this would put both he and his comrades at undue risk, as Iraqi underground organizations had threatened attacks. From mid-December 2007 to the end of February 2008, Prince Harry was stationed as part of the ISAF mission in Helmand Province in southern Afghanistan , where, like other officers, he took part in frontline missions. At first only a few journalists were aware of this fact; after it became public he was withdrawn from Afghanistan prematurely on February 29, 2008 due to security concerns.
From January 2009 Harry completed his training as a helicopter pilot with the British Air Force , which he successfully completed in May 2010. Thereupon he was appointed Colonel-in-Chief (honorary colonel ) in the Army Aviation and he was given the "provisional wings" by his father. From July 2010 to February 2011 he continued his pilot training with the Apache attack helicopter . On April 14, 2011, he was promoted to captain .
In December 2013, Prince Harry took part - together with wounded soldiers - in a 335-kilometer march to the South Pole in aid of the aid organization " Walking With The Wounded ". On December 13, 2013, the group reached the South Pole. In 2014 he was transferred back to London, where he then carried out administrative tasks in the British Army . His area of responsibility included coordinating projects and ceremonies in London in which the guards regiments of the Household Division were involved. In June 2015 it was announced that Prince Harry had left the army after more than ten years.
In the following, he took over or kept, like many members of the British royal family, only the position of honorary colonel in various units. In December 2017 he was appointed Captain General of the Royal Marines to succeed his grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh . Shortly before his wedding, on May 14, 2018, he was accepted into the ranks of the staff officers ( Major , Lieutenant Commander and Squadron Leader ) of all three branches of the armed forces.
Prince Harry was in a relationship with Chelsy Davy (* 1985) from 2004 to 2010 (with one interruption in 2009) . On November 8, 2016, Prince Harry issued a statement through his press secretariat, in which Meghan Markle (* 1981) was named as his new girlfriend. The couple's engagement was announced on November 27, 2017, and the wedding took place on May 19, 2018 at Windsor Castle . On May 6, 2019 their son Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor was born.
Prince Harry went hunting at an early age and is considered a good shot. As a guest of his friend Franz-Albrecht Prinz zu Oettingen-Spielberg , whose wedding he attended in 2016, he was repeatedly on wild boar hunts in Oettingen in Bavaria and in Schorfheide in Brandenburg , where the noble house has large forest areas. His hobbies include polo , winter sports and motocross .
Harry is Prince of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. According to British nomenclature, he carried the courtesy title “Prince Henry of Wales” until his wedding , with “Prince” referring to Great Britain and not to Wales. The title “The Prince of Wales”, in English “Prince of Wales”, is reserved for the respective heir to the throne, i.e. his father. On the occasion of his wedding to Meghan Markle, the Queen awarded him with a certificate dated July 16, 2018 the hereditary peer titles Duke of Sussex , Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel .
In April 2006, Harry and Prince Seeiso Bereng Seeiso of Lesotho founded a charity that looks after HIV / AIDS orphans. The foundation was christened “Sentebale”, which means something like “don't forget me”. The name refers to his late mother Princess Diana . He wants to continue his mother's commitment to AIDS orphans and generally do a lot for charitable purposes.
Together with his brother William, Harry organized a memorial concert on July 1, 2007 and a memorial service for Princess Diana on the 10th anniversary of her death on August 31, 2007. At the latter, he gave a very personal speech that was received extremely positively by the public and the media. He is also the patron of the Invictus Games , which he launched in 2014. At this event, wounded soldiers compete against each other in sporting competitions.
On January 8, 2020, Harry and Meghan announced their intention to step down as senior members of the royal family and become financially independent. On January 18, the palace announced that Harry and Meghan would no longer be addressed as "Royal Highness" and that a government grant of £ 2.4 million for the renovation of their Frogmore Cottage home was to be repaid .
Medals and Badges of Honor
|year||Country||Medals / Badges of Honor||Fig.|
|2002||United Kingdom||Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal|
|2008||United Kingdom||Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan|
|2012||United Kingdom||Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal|
|2015||United Kingdom||Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order|
|Pedigree of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge|
Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
James Hamilton, 3rd Duke of Abercorn (1869–1953)
James Roche, 3rd Baron Fermoy
William Smith Gill (1865–1957)
Albert Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer (1892–1975)
Maurice Roche, 4th Baron Fermoy (1885–1955)
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (* 1984)
- Henry , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 20/2012 from May 15, 2012, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- Harry and the Plastic World . In: Der Spiegel . No. April 17 , 2013 ( spiegel.de [accessed November 27, 2017]).
- Harry says sorry for Nazi costume. In: BBC.co.uk. January 13, 2005, accessed November 27, 2017 .
- Terry Nguyen: 7 questions about Megxit, answered. In: vox.com. January 10, 2020, accessed on January 13, 2020 .
- Prince Harry as a soldier in Afghanistan. In: Spiegel Online. February 28, 2008, accessed December 2, 2014 .
- Announcement about Prince Harry's withdrawal ( memento of June 13, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) on the website of the British Ministry of Defense
- Harry becomes a helicopter pilot ( Memento from May 2, 2011 in the Internet Archive ), AFP
- Prince Harry receives his provisional wings from his father The Prince of Wales. In: princeofwales.gov.uk , May 7, 2010
- Prince Harry promoted to Captain and completes first stage of Apache training. In: princeofwales.gov.uk , April 17, 2011
- Welcome Home Press Conference. Walking With The Wounded, Jan 21, 2014
- Prince of Wales leaves Army. In: princeofwales.gov.uk (English).
- Queen appoints Prince Harry to take over from his grandfather Philip as the Captain General of the Royal Marines In: dailymail.co.uk (English).
- London Gazette (Supplement). No. 62328, HMSO, London, June 19, 2018, p. 10856 ( PDF , English).
- Wedding in spring: Prince Harry has become engaged to Meghan Markle . In: Spiegel Online . November 27, 2017 ( spiegel.de [accessed November 27, 2017]).
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are planning their own 'fun' wedding at Windsor Castle in May 2018 on: Business Insider of November 28, 2017
- Penny Junor: Prince Harry: Brother. Soldier. Son. Husband. Hachette UK, 2014, ISBN 978-1-4447-7794-9 (Country Pursuits).
- Oliver Schwers: Adel: Prince Harry hunting in the Uckermark. In: SWP. December 12, 2017, accessed December 21, 2018 .
- Alexander Fröhlich: Royal visit to Brandenburg: Prince Harry visits the Uckermark. In: Tagesspiegel. December 11, 2017, accessed December 31, 2018 .
- 15 animals shot: Prince Harry with friends on a wild boar hunt in Brandenburg. In: BZ Berlin. December 12, 2017, accessed December 31, 2018 .
- The Prince of Wales - Prince Harry - Interests . Clarence House. Archived from the original on June 16, 2008. Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle announcement titles. May 19, 2018. Retrieved May 19, 2018 .
- Prince Harry emulates his mother. In: Spiegel Online. April 28, 2016, accessed December 2, 2014 .
- Patricia Dreyer: United mourning front of the high nobility. In: Spiegel Online. August 31, 2007, accessed December 2, 2014 .
- Prince Harry: "Diana was the best mother in the world". In: Focus Online. August 31, 2007, accessed December 2, 2014 .
- Harry and Meghan want to withdraw from royal duties. In: focus.de. January 8, 2020, accessed January 8, 2020 .
- Kirsty, Oram: Statement from Her Majesty The Queen. January 18, 2020, accessed on January 18, 2020 .
- FAZ.net: Harry and Meghan repay millions of dollars in taxes
- sueddeutsche.de / Cathrin Kahlweit January 19, 2020: Freedom, very simple ( comment )
|SURNAME||Harry, Duke of Sussex|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Mountbatten-Windsor, Henry Charles Albert David|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British Prince (younger son of Prince Charles)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 15, 1984|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London , UK|