Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge , GCVO (born January 9, 1982 in Reading , Berkshire , England , born Catherine Elizabeth " Kate " Middleton ; German Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge ), is the wife of the British Prince William, Duke of Cambridge .
|British royal family|
Catherine Elizabeth Middleton is the eldest daughter of the flight attendant and flight dispatcher Michael Francis Middleton (* 1949) and the flight attendant Carole Elizabeth Middleton , née Goldsmith (* 1955). Her mother's ancestors were miners, her father's ancestors were lawyers and councilors in Leeds. Her parents have been running the Party Pieces mail order business since 1987, selling party accessories for children. Catherine has two younger siblings, Philippa "Pippa" Charlotte Middleton and James William Middleton.
Childhood, school education and studies
Catherine was baptized in St Andrew's Bradfield Church in Berkshire on June 20, 1982, and confirmed on March 10, 1995. She is a member of the Anglican Church .
Catherine attended St. Andrew's School in Pangbourne from 1986 to 1995. She then attended the prestigious private school Marlborough College in Wiltshire (this school also attended Princess Eugenie of York ) and graduated there in 2000 with three A-Levels in chemistry, biology and art (British high school diploma). A one-year " sabbatical year " followed the school leaving certificate . She used this break to complete an Italian language course in Florence at the British Institute for several months and to work on a development project in Chile at the beginning of 2001 . She also worked as a crew member on a boat on the Solent for a few months .
From September 2001, Catherine completed a four year degree in art history at the University of St Andrews in Scotland . On June 23, 2005 she finished her studies with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) with the grade "Upper Second-Class Honors".
From November 2006 to October 2007 she worked three days a week as an assistant buyer in the accessories division for the British fashion label Jigsaw .
After a year without a job, Catherine accepted a position in her parents' company in late 2008. There she was primarily responsible for the design and creation of the catalogs , marketing and photography and introduced a new product line ( First Birthdays ).
Relationship with Prince William
While studying at St. Andrews in the fall of 2001, Catherine met Prince William, who was five months her junior. In the second year of study, they shared a student flat with three other fellow students. The couple had been dating around the end of 2002. In April 2004, the relationship became known to the public through photos of the couple from their skiing holiday in Klosters . In December 2006, Catherine was present with her parents at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst's closing parade , where Prince William was appointed officer .
According to British media, the couple separated in April 2007 "by mutual agreement". The reason given was the great pressure on the relationship from the media. The speculation in the British tabloid press in June 2007 that the two had reconciled at a memorial service for the death of his mother Diana were denied several times. In early July 2007, the Sun reported that the couple had been back together after a discussion. In August 2007, those rumors were fueled when William and Catherine vacationed in the Seychelles together .
Catherine was also present at the presentation of the British Air Force Badge to the Prince in April 2008. In the summer of 2008, she attended the wedding of Williams cousin Peter Phillips to Autumn Kelly and the wedding of Lady Rose Windsor with the royal family . Prince William was prevented from attending both weddings. In June 2008, she and the royal family took part in the solemn ceremony of the Order of the Garter , into which Prince William was accepted. The repeated official appearances with the prince or the royal family were interpreted by the press as evidence of an engagement.
Catherine and Prince William got engaged on October 20, 2010 while on vacation in Kenya.
marriage and family
The couple lives in Kensington Palace . Before that, she lived on the island of Anglesey, Wales, near the Royal Air Force Station Valley , when William was stationed there. Since December 2010, Catherine has been performing official duties alongside Prince William.
Her son Prince George of Cambridge was born on July 22, 2013 at 4:24 p.m. (local time) at St Mary's Hospital in London, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge on May 2, 2015 at 8:34 a.m. and on April 23, 2018 at 11:01 a.m. (local time) Prince Louis of Cambridge .
Tasks, interests and perception
Interests and leisure activities
Catherine is interested in travel, photography and art and is considered to be fashion conscious. With the announcement of the engagement, the choice of her clothing became increasingly interesting for the public and, as the Kate Middleton effect, it became style-defining. She is athletic and already excelled in school through sporting achievements in tennis , hockey , netball and high jump . During her studies she played hockey on the university team. She plays tennis and skis. Every year the couple go on a skiing holiday together; in the past few years (2004, 2005, 2006, 2008) mostly to Klosters . In July 2007, Catherine initially trained for a dragon boat race that was supposed to cross the canal, but did not participate in the race.
Perception in the media
Since Catherine did not have a regular job for over a year after graduating in 2005 and from November 2007 to the end of 2008, she has been criticized by the British media. She was accused of being work-shy and addicted to pleasure and was nicknamed "Lady of Leisure" ("Lady Leisure Time"). It also has been called "Waity Katie" ( "Waiting Katie") or "Princess in Waiting" ( "Princess on hold" - following "Lady in Waiting" ( maid )) mocked as long as no engagement was announced.
In the "Princesses Ranking" compiled by the Forsa Institute on behalf of the magazine Frau im Spiegel at the end of 2011 , Catherine Elizabeth was chosen in a representative survey as one of the princesses most popular with German women and came in behind Victoria of Sweden (1st place) and Máxima of the Netherlands (2nd place) third place. Among the 14 to 29 year olds, 35 percent chose Princess Kate as their favorite.
The Time magazine counted in 2013 among the top 100 of the most influential personalities.
Title and salutation
Her full salutation is "HRH Catherine Elizabeth, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus". A common short form of this address is "Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge". "Princess Catherine" is not correct in terms of protocol , because in Great Britain only a princess can be who is born into the royal family or who is specially awarded this title.
Coat of arms and monogram
Michael Middleton received a family crest on April 19, 2011 on a charter from the College of Arms .
The coat of arms shows a golden rafter in the blue-red split shield , accompanied by a silver thread rafter at the top and bottom, the upper one at the top accompanied by two, the lower one at the bottom by an upright golden acorn on a golden stem, with two golden oak leaves pointing upwards at an angle .
Orders and decorations
|year||Country||Orders / decorations||class|
|2012||United Kingdom||Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal|
|2017||United Kingdom||Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II|
|2019||United Kingdom||Royal Victorian Order||Grand Cross Lady|
Catherine Elizabeth descends through her great-grandmother Olive Lupton of Sir Thomas Fairfax (Gilling) (approx. 1475-1520) and his wife Agnes Gascoigne. Agnes Gascoigne was the great-great-great-granddaughter of Sir William Gascoigne (approx. 1350-1419), Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales and came from King Edward III. (1312–1377) and his wife Queen Philippa of Hainaut . These ancestors are also ancestors of Prince William, both on his father's side and, through his grandfather, Earl Spencer , on his mother's side.
Catherine is also a descendant of Elizabeth Knollys (Lady Elizabeth Leighton) (1549–1605) and her mother Catherine Carey (Lady Catherine Knollys) (1526–1568), niece of Queen Anne Boleyn (1501–1536) and thus cousin of Queen Elizabeth I. (1533-1603), whose common grandmother was Elizabeth Boleyn, Countess of Wiltshire , daughter of the Duke of Norfolk .
|Pedigree of Catherine Middleton|
Richard Noël Middleton
Frederick George Glassborow
Peter Francis Middleton (1920–2010)
Ronald John James Goldsmith (1931–2003)
Michael Francis Middleton (* 1949)
Catherine Elizabeth (née Middleton), Duchess of Cambridge (born January 9, 1982)
- Claudia Joseph: Princess Kate . mvg, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-86882-230-4 .
- Catherine , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 30/2011 from July 26, 2011, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely available)
- Birth certificate of CE Middleton (PDF; 208 kB)
- Archive link ( Memento from May 4, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Michael Francis Middleton on thepeerage.com , accessed September 13, 2016.
- Website of the family business "Party Pieces"
- The King's Children: William and Kate , ZDF documentation
- Royal wedding: Is Kate Middleton the new media darling? , bbc news UK, 16th November 2010
- Interview with Belle Robinson about her company "Jigsaw" and Kate ( memento of the original from July 31, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Evening Standard (English)
- William moves into student flat share , Spiegel-online, April 8, 2002
- Quoting from the interview by Tom Bradby with Prince William and Catherine Middleton, October 16, 2010, bbc transcript of the interview : William: “We obviously met at university - at St Andrews we were friends for over a year first and it just sort of blossomed from then on. We just spent more time with each other had a good giggle, had lots of fun and realized we shared the same interests and had a really good time. " Catherine: “Actually William wasn't there for quite a bit of the time initially, he wasn't there for Freshers Week, so it did take a bit of time for us to get to know each other but we did become very close friends from quite early. " (William: "We obviously met at the university - in St Andrews. At first we were friends for over a year. That kind of developed from that. We spent more time together, had a lot of laughs, had a lot of fun and realized that we have the same interests and have a very good time together. "Catherine:" Actually, William wasn't there for a long time at the beginning. He wasn't at the introductory week for freshmen. So it took a little while before we met. But we became very close friends very early on. ")
- Prince William turtles with the beautiful Kate , Spiegel online, April 1, 2004
- Reconciliation ( Memento of July 8, 2007 in the Internet Archive ), Sun, July 6, 2007
- Prince William completes fighter pilot training ( Memento from July 14, 2012 in the web archive archive.today ), AFP 2008
- Wedding of Peter Phillips
- Kate Middleton attends her second royal wedding of the year , hellomagazine.com (English) July 20, 2008
- Prince William is now a Knight of the Order of the Garter on Bild.de from September 5, 2008
- Rumors of engagement , blick.ch, May 26, 2008
- See Where Prince William Proposed! , November 19, 2010 (engagement in a hut in the Mount Kenya massif)
- Prince William and Kate Middleton: Their Quiet Everyday Life on Anglesey ( Memento of the original from July 7, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Promipool, May 6, 2011
- vacation , blick.ch, March 19, 2008
- Great success for Duchess Kate! | Royal fox. In: Royal Fox. May 9, 2016, Retrieved May 9, 2016 .
- Queen wants Kate to have a decent job before an engagement could be due , Daily Mail
- Spiegel reports on princess ranking
- Kate Middleton, Duchesse, 31 , Time Magazine Top 100 (English)
- Stern on April 28, 2011: William and his Kate: Pitfalls of the Protocol
- GMX on April 29, 2011: Second kiss from William and Catherine ( Memento from May 1, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Exception: The wife of the Prince of Wales (the Germans in with Prince to be translated from Wales, the wife not "Princess", but "Princess" is). “His [Prince Williams] titles will be Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus. Prince William thus becomes His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge and Miss Catherine Middleton on marriage will become Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge. As well as a duchess, Miss Middleton is also technically Princess William of Wales. According to protocol, she is not officially Princess Catherine as she was not born a princess in her own right. "(Itv.com on April 29, 2011: page no longer available , search in web archives: New royal titles )
- www.dailymail.co.uk April 19, 2011, coat of arms with picture and explanation
- Pedigree with evidence
- dailymail.co.uk on August 3, 2010: Wills and Kate, kissing cousins! How the Royal lovebirds are related thanks to a Tudor tyrant so bloodthirsty he's been airbrushed from history
- Pedigree of Catherine Middleton
|SURNAME||Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Middleton, Catherine Elizabeth (maiden name); Middleton, Kate (nickname); Cambridge, Catherine Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor Duchess of|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British noblewoman, wife of the British Prince William Mountbatten-Windsor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 9, 1982|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Reading , Berkshire , England|