Victoria of Sweden
Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée, Crown Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Västergötland (born July 14, 1977 in Solna ) is the eldest child of King Carl XVI. Gustaf and Queen Silvia the Crown Princess of the Kingdom of Sweden from the House of Bernadotte .
|Swedish royal family|
Birth and school
Victoria was born in Karolinska Hospital in Solna near Stockholm and was baptized on September 27, 1977 in the Castle Church. She has two siblings, Prince Carl Philip (born May 13, 1979) and Princess Madeleine (born June 10, 1982).
From 1982 to 1984 Princess Victoria attended the preschool of the parish Västerled in Stockholm's Bromma district . From 1984 she graduated from the primary school Smedslättskolan in Bromma and then from Ålstensskolan, later from Enskilda Gymnasiet in Stockholm, where she graduated from high school in 1996 . She improved her German and English language skills during summer vacations in the USA and Germany .
Because of dyslexia , she had big problems during her school days. In 1998 it became known that the Crown Princess suffered from anorexia ; the reason given was constant press monitoring. She has been considered recovered since her return from the USA in 2000.
Studies and further training
Her preparation for the future office as Queen takes place primarily through various specially designed internships : In 1997 Victoria did an internship with the government and the Reichstag to get to know their way of working better. During her studies in the US, she spent a month at the Swedish Embassy in Washington, DC and two months at the United Nations . In 2001 she was part of the Swedish EU Council Presidency , and in autumn this year she did another internship with the Swedish government. In 2002 she was an intern at the Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Berlin and Paris . In 2003 Victoria spent with various Swedish companies. In 2006 and 2007 the Crown Princess completed diplomatic training at the Swedish Foreign Ministry.
In 2003 the Crown Princess completed basic military training.
marriage and family
Crown Princess Victoria has been in a relationship with Daniel Westling (born September 15, 1973) since 2002 . The engagement was announced on February 24, 2009. The couple got married on June 19, 2010 in Stockholm's Nikolaikirche ( Storkyrkan ) .
At her wedding, Crown Princess Victoria wore the kamée diadem , a Parisian diadem made of gold, pearls and images of Cupid and Psyche . This is said to have been a gift from Napoleon Bonaparte to his first wife, Empress Joséphine , in 1809 and to have come to the Swedish royal family through her granddaughter Josephine von Leuchtenberg . Victoria's mother, Queen Silvia, already wore this diadem at her wedding in 1976.
On February 23, 2012, Victoria gave birth to daughter Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary , Duchess of Östergötland . After her mother, she is in second place in the Swedish line of succession . On March 2, 2016, Victoria gave birth to a second child, a boy, Oscar Carl Olof , Duke of Skåne .
Victoria has numerous godchildren, including her niece Princess Leonore of Sweden, her nephew Prince Alexander of Sweden, Hereditary Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway , Catharina-Amalia of Orange-Nassau , Crown Princess of the Netherlands, Prince Christian of Denmark , Princess Eléonore of Belgium and Prince Konstantinos -Alexios of Greece and Denmark .
Crown Princess Victoria is the heir to the throne according to the Swedish Succession Act in the version of January 1, 1980. Up until then, male succession was exclusively applicable. Even before the birth of Princess Victoria, the Reichstag had commissioned an investigation into a corresponding amendment to the Act of Succession to the Throne; the opinions of the parliamentarians differed. Some spoke out against the female succession to the throne, others wanted to accept an heir to the throne if the king would not have a son, third parties demanded that the first child in each case should succeed, regardless of whether it was a boy or a girl. The third group prevailed. When the new law came into force, Victoria's brother Carl Philip was stripped of the title of Crown Prince.
The Crown Princess supports the King in his representative duties. She is always present at the Nobel Prize ceremony , the Swedish National Day and other celebrations. She is particularly interested in development and peace policy . Since 2001 she has been making official visits abroad as the monarch's representative: in 2001 she visited Japan , 2002 Kosovo , 2003 Egypt and the USA , 2004 Saudi Arabia and Hungary , 2005 Australia , China and Turkey , 2006 Brazil , 2008 Dubai and Luxembourg , 2011 Germany .
Victoria has had its own court - like the king and queen - since 2004, which organizes its official program. She has lived in Haga Castle near Stockholm since her wedding .
The Victoria Fund finances rehabilitation measures for disabled children.
Titles, coats of arms, medals and honors
Predicate and title
- HRH Princess Victoria (July 14, 1977 to December 31, 1979)
- ( Swedish : Hennes Kungliga Höghet Prinsessan Victoria, Sveriges Prinsessa )
- HRH Crown Princess Victoria, Duchess of Västergötland (since January 1, 1980)
- (Swedish: Hennes Kungliga Höghet Kronprinsessan Victoria, Hertiginna av Västergötland )
coat of arms
The heart shield is split. Heraldically on the right (optically on the left) the coat of arms of the Wasa dynasty, which ruled until 1668 : in blue and red, divided diagonally on the right by a silver sloping bar with a golden wasa scar on stake . On the left the coat of arms awarded to Bernadotte by Napoleon as Prince of Pontecorvo: above in blue a golden eagle soaring to the right , above which the constellation "Big Dipper" hovers with seven golden stars . Below is a roof-shaped silver bridge with two tinned towers, which stands on a middle, large and two smaller passages, above a silver field cut with silver waves.
In the first and fourth fields in blue three (2: 1) set golden crowns (for the small imperial coat of arms of Sweden ). In the second field is in blue, on three silver obliquely left wave beams a golden rotgezungter and -bewehrter winning gold, Leo ( Folkunger Coat of Arms). In the third field, divided obliquely to the left in black and gold, a lion as in the second, only uncrowned, with mixed up colors , above the dividing line accompanied by a silver star (coat of arms of Västergötland).
On the shield rests a golden, four-pointed prince's crown with lace pearls and a blue cap with gold crowns. A black vertical washer is shown between the middle tips.
Orders and honors
|Pedigree of Crown Princess Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée of Sweden|
Carl Louis Sommerlath (1834–1897)
Johann Waldau (1828–1896)
Joaquim Floriano de Toledo (1842–?)
Emiliano Baptista Soares (1852–1914)
Louis Moritz Sommerlath (1860–1930)
Arthur Floriano de Toledo (1873–1935)
Walther Sommerlath (1901–1990)
In the end of 2011 by the Institute Forsa on behalf of the magazine Frau im Spiegel established princesses ranking Victoria was in a representative survey voted the most popular among German women princess. She relegated the then Princess Máxima of the Netherlands and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge to places 2 and 3.
- Crown Princess Victoria: I am dyslexic ( Memento of the original from July 19, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. .
- Official announcement on the website of the Swedish royal family: Engagement between Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling
- Crown Princess Victoria engaged - "I feel safe with Daniel by my side" , FAZ, February 24, 2009, announcement of the engagement.
- Website of the Swedish royal family (English): The Crown Princess Couple
- Swedish Princess Victoria gives birth to a son , Berliner Morgenpost , accessed March 2, 2016.
- Message from the Swedish royal family (Swedish)
- British Succession to the Throne ( Memento of the original dated August 7, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (English)
- The members of the royal family usually receive the medal shortly after birth. From 1975 to 1995, however, the order could only be awarded to foreigners, so that this was the case with the children of Carl XVI. Gustaf was made up on the day they came of age.
- www.president.ee Information page of the Estonian President
- www.lrp.lt Overview of the Lithuanian medal bearers
- List of all decorations awarded by the Federal President for services to the Republic of Austria from 1952 (PDF file; 6.6 MB)
- Photo gallery on www.theroyalforums.com
- State visit of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg to Sweden, gala dinner on April 15, 2008, website of the Swedish royal family (Swedish)
- State visit of the Greek President Karolos Papoulias to Sweden, gala dinner on May 21, 2008, website of the Swedish royal family (Swedish)
- www.president.ee Information page of the Estonian President
- Spiegel reports on princess ranking
|-||Swedish succession to the throne||Princess Estelle|
|SURNAME||Victoria of Sweden|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée Crown Princess of Sweden and Duchess of Västergötland|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swedish nobles, Crown Princess of Sweden|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 14, 1977|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stockholm|