Maccarone was born in Pulheim as the daughter of an Italian gardener and a working German mother. Like her siblings and half-siblings, she did not grow up bilingual.
Maccarone originally wanted a career in music. She started writing lyrics at the age of 14. After finishing school, she wrote various texts that she sold to Udo Lindenberg and the now defunct Hamburg band Roh . In 1985 she moved to Hamburg and studied German and American studies with a focus on media. Her master's thesis in German under the title “A mainstream lesbian comedy and its cultural and film-historical prerequisites” deals with the success of her first own film, made in 1995, does Mausi rausi come out ?! . She has been writing screenplays since 1992. As part of a training initiative for young talents supported by the MEDIA program of the European Union, she took part in the development and script program of the Greek Mediterranean Film Institute (MFI) in 2003.
In connection with the crime scene Whose Honor was written and staged by her, there were violent protests by the Alevi community in Germany in December 2007 ; On December 30th, more than 20,000 Alevis demonstrated in Cologne against the broadcast of the film. Most of the protesters hadn't even seen the movie, rather heard that their community was being attacked. In addition to the taboo subject of child abuse in the family, the background was a historical tradition of defamation of the Alevi minority by the Sunni majority in the Ottoman Empire and Turkey. The director, completely surprised by the angry reactions, apologized to those affected for the misunderstanding and pointed out that their extensive research before the project had suggested nothing of the kind. She wanted to address a case of child abuse within the family and its late effects, as unfortunately occurs in all cultures, European and Middle Eastern, Christian and Muslim. It was new to her that such slander, “accusations and prejudices among fanatical Sunnis” against the liberal-Islamic religious community of the Alevis are common up to the present day.
In February 2017 she received the German Screenplay Award 2017 from the Minister of State for Culture for her screenplay with the working title Klandestin , the most important German award for outstanding, as yet unfilmed scripts. The film plot consistently tells a story of uprooting and loneliness, people in a globalized world, from the perspectives of four people who meet in Brussels.
Angelina Maccarone has directed film dramas and crime novels as well as an elaborate portrait documentary about Charlotte Rampling , often with her own script. She often tells the stories of “marginalized characters, marginalized people, underdogs”. “The dynamics between them and the apparent norm are Maccarone's topic and women are usually the focus.” Judith Kaufmann often works as the camerawoman for her films ; Jakob Hansonis , who comes from Pulheim like her, mostly composes the music for her films .
- 1995: Is Mausi coming out ?! (TV film): screenplay and assistant director; Director: Alexander Scherer
- 1996: Willi and the Windzors (TV film): screenwriting supervisor; Directed by Hape Kerkeling
- 1996: Blackjack (TV film): Screenplay with Peter Zingler ; Director: Ulli Baumann
- 1997: Everything will be fine (TV film, ARD): Screenplay and direction
- 1998: An Angel Strikes Back (international title: Helgoland Babylon ; TV film): Screenplay and direction
- 2001: You can't rewind your life (commercial): Director
- 2003: Experience smoke-free (commercial): Director
- 2005: Unveiled : Director, screenplay together with Judith Kaufmann
- 2006: Everything about Robert de Niro (TV film, ARD): screenplay; Director: Helmut Förnbacher
- 2006: Pursued : Director; Script: Susanne Billig
- 2007: Vivere ( Roadmovie ): screenplay and direction
- 2007: A Man, a Fjord (audio book comedy, CD): Text, together with Angelo Colagrossi ; Speaker: Hape Kerkeling
- 2007: Tatort: Whom Honor is Due (TV series): Screenplay and direction
- 2008: Tatort: Erntedank eV (TV series): Screenplay and direction
- 2009: one man, one fjord! (TV film): Screenplay, together with Angelo Colagrossi and Hape Kerkeling
- 2009: Tatort: Borowski and the Stars (TV series): Screenplay and direction
- 2011: The Look - Charlotte Rampling - A self portrait through others. (Documentary): script and direction; Germany, France, 94 min., Production: Prounenfilm, Tag / Traum, Les films d'ici, ZDF , 3sat , first broadcast: November 25, 2012 on 3Sat.
- 2014: Tolerant? We are ourselves. Three video clips : Coming out , parents , masquerade : director; Book: together with Carolin Emcke , editor: Bettina Böhler , in cooperation with the Heinrich Böll Foundation and the Yorck Kinogruppe
- 2014: Polizeiruf 110: Hexenjagd (TV series): Screenplay (together with Kristin Derfler) and direction.
- Is Mausi coming out ?! : The treatment (short script) for the film received the 1992 award from the Hamburg cultural authority . The television film was nominated for the Telestar in 1995 .
- An angel strikes back : 1998 “Best Fiction Program” of the Cologne Conference , shown at several film festivals (including the London Film Festival )
- Everything is going to be fine : shown at 30 national and international festivals so far, with awards including audience awards in New York, Paris, at the “LA Outfest” in Los Angeles and at the “Toronto Inside Out Lesbian and Gay Film and Video Festival”.
- Unfamiliar Skin : Hessian Film Award , 2005; Best Narrative Feature at the Seattle International Film Festival 2005; Grand jury award of the Image Nation Film Festival Montreal 2005. At the Cyprus International Film Festival 2006 he received the Golden Aphrodite for “Best Film” , Angelina Maccarone the “Best Director” award and the leading actress Jasmin Tabatabai the award “Best Fiction Actress”. In 2006 Jasmin Tabatabai was nominated for the German Film Prize in the actor category for her role . The film was also nominated for the "Crystal Globe" at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival 2005.
- Persecuted : Main Prize Golden Leopard at the Locarno International Film Festival in the newly created section “Cinema du présent” / “Cineasti del Presente” (contemporary cinema). Participation in other film festivals (including Filmfest Hof )
- Vivere : "Artistic Achievement Award", Los Angeles; shown at several film festivals (including Tribeca Film Festival New York, Festival of German Films Ludwigshafen, opening film for the Cologne Film Congress , Karlovy Vary International Film Festival )
- Golden Lola for the best unfilmed script 2017 for her script Klandestin
- Fatima El-Tayeb , Angelina Maccarone: Everything will be fine - the film script . Orlanda Frauenverlag , 1999, ISBN 3-929823-58-6 .
- “Beyond Boundaries II. Dagmar Brunow in conversation with Angelina Maccarone.” In: Queer Cinema. Edited by Dagmar Brunow / Simon Dickel. Mainz: Ventil Verlag 2018, s. 189-197.
- Literature by and about Angelina Maccarone in the catalog of the German National Library
- Angelina Maccarone in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Angelina Maccarone at filmportal.de
- Angelina Maccarone at Crew United
- Vogue - Interview with Angelina Maccarone on April 26, 2012
- Scriptwriter Angelina Maccarone - Surprisingly other women , long interview / portrait of the filmmaker on Deutschlandradio Kultur on March 15, 2017
- Peitz, Christiane: Die Taktgeberin - Portrait of Bettina Böhler at tagesspiegel.de, March 6, 2012 (accessed on March 23, 2012).
- Film University Babelsberg Konrad Wolf | Director MA. In: www.filmuniversitaet.de. Retrieved April 20, 2016 .
- Official statement of the Alevi Congregation Germany eV
- "Alevis protest against" incest "-Tatort" , Spiegel Online , December 27th 2007
- charges against NDR: Muslims protest against crime scene crime , FAZ from December 27, 2007, accessed March 15, 2017
- "Director defends incest crime thriller" , Spiegel Online, December 27, 2007
- German Script Award 2017: Most important award for outstanding scripts , press release of the Federal Government of February 10, 2017, accessed March 15, 2017
- The Secret of a Good Film , Federal Government February 10, 2017, accessed March 15, 2017
- Moderation: Britta Bürger: Screenwriter Angelina Maccarone - Strong women in focus. In: deutschlandradiokultur.de. March 15, 2017. Retrieved March 15, 2017 .
- Website of the film distributor on Unfamiliar Skin , with trailers, accessed March 15, 2017
- Link list for information and reviews about persecuted , www.filmz.de, accessed March 15, 2017
- Link list for information and reviews about Vivere , www.filmz.de, accessed March 15, 2017
- Message from the Heinrich Böll Foundation on the video clips Tolerant? We are ourselves , accessed on October 25, 2014.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German film director and screenwriter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 21, 1965|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pulheim|