Barbara Schock-Werner , married. Barbara Lochs , (born July 23, 1947 in Ludwigsburg ) is a German architect , art historian , monument conservator and university professor . From 1999 to 2012 she was the master builder of Cologne Cathedral .
Schock-Werner attended elementary school in Bad Cannstatt from 1953 to 1957 and, after completing secondary school , initially completed an apprenticeship as a draftsman as well as a carpenter and bricklayer internship. From 1967 she studied at the National School of Engineering for the construction industry in Stuttgart architecture . During her internship at the Institute for Lightweight Structures at the University of Stuttgart in 1969, the latter was responsible for the planning of the new Olympic Stadium in Munich under the direction of Frei Otto .
After graduating in 1971, Schock-Werner worked in an architectural office with a focus on monument protection . At the same time she studied art history and history at the University of Stuttgart and Vienna, and finally, since 1975, at the University of Bonn . During a nine-month study visit to Alsace , she conducted research on the Strasbourg Cathedral ; In 1979 he married the art historian Kurt Lochs (born October 5, 1932, † December 21, 2018, director of the Germanisches Nationalmuseum Nürnberg ) and shortly afterwards the birth of two children.
1981 Schock-Werner was in art history doctorate , her thesis entitled "The Strasbourg cathedral in the 15th century. Stylistic development and hut organization of a citizen's cathedral ” . Since 1982 taught Schock-Werner at the Academy of Fine Arts in Nuremberg as a teacher, the subjects of art, architecture and design history, in 1989 they appointed the Bavarian State Ministry for Science, Research and the Arts of honorary professor . At the same time, she held lectures on architecture at the Technical College in Stuttgart from 1985 to 1991 . She has also been a member of the board of the German Castle Association since 1989 and has been Vice President since 1995 and was elected President in 2013. From 1992 to 2004, Schock-Werner was chairman of the scientific advisory board of the German Castle Association. and was chairwoman of the Dombaumeister e. V. , the European Association of Cathedral Builders, Minster Builders and Metalworkers.
From 1992 to 1996 Schock-Werner held a professorship at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg . In the final phase of her habilitation thesis with the title "The buildings in the prince-bishopric of Würzburg under Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn 1573-1617, structure, organization, financing and artistic evaluation" she received the appointment to the office of Cologne cathedral builder in 1998, which she did on January 1st In 1999.
As the head of the Cologne cathedral building administration and the cathedral building works , she managed the total budget of six to seven million euros annually, and was the manager of around 60 employees. As a master builder of the cathedral, Schock-Werner was also a born member of the Central Cathedral Building Association in Cologne . Under their aegis, the Richter window designed by Gerhard Richter was installed in the south transept of Cologne Cathedral in 2007 , after Schock-Werner asked the artist for a design for the new glazing of the 113 m² window.
Barbara Schock-Werner retired on August 31, 2012. Michael Hauck , previously master builder in Passau , was chosen as her successor. He took over this office on September 1st, 2012 and was her deputy from April 1st, 2012. Michael Hauck was also her successor in office as President of the European Association of Cathedral Builders e. V.
On November 23, 2012, Schock-Werner was elected by the general assembly as the new chairman of the Cologne regional association in the Rhenish Association for Monument Preservation and Landscape Protection. On April 28, 2013, she was elected President of the German Castle Association to succeed Alexander zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn . On December 17, 2013, Schock-Werner was appointed to the urban development committee as an expert resident at the suggestion of the SPD parliamentary group in the Cologne city council .
After the major fire in the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral on April 15, 2019, Schock-Werner was appointed by Minister of State for Culture Monika Grütters to coordinate the numerous aids offered from Germany on April 18, 2019 .
- The buildings in the prince-bishopric of Würzburg under Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn 1573–1617. Structure, organization, funding and artistic evaluation. Schnell and Steiner, Regensburg 2005, ISBN 978-3-7954-1623-2 .
- with Mario Kramp (eds.) and Michael Euler-Schmidt: The colossal journeyman. Views of Cologne Cathedral before 1842 from the holdings of the Cologne City Museum. Greven Verlag Cologne 2011, ISBN 978-3-7743-0475-8 .
- with Dominik Lengyel and Catherine Toulouse: The construction phases of the Cologne Cathedral and its predecessor buildings = Cologne Cathedral and preceding buildings. Cologne Cathedral Publishing House 2011, ISBN 978-3-922442-68-4 .
- with Joachim Frank : Cologne to the point, with the master builder a. D. through the city. DuMont, Cologne 2015, ISBN 978-3-8321-9793-3 .
- Castles of the Archbishops of Cologne. Greven Verlag Cologne 2017, ISBN 978-3-7743-0679-0 .
- Line routing, Cologne underground stations , photos by Maurice Cox. Greven, Cologne 2018 ISBN 978-3-7743-0690-5
- with Joachim Frank : Cologne to the point 2, with the former cathedral master builder through the city. Photos by Csaba Peter Rakoczy, with a foreword by Alice Schwarzer . DuMont, Cologne 2019, ISBN 978-3-8321-6477-5 .
- with Joachim Frank: Cathedral stories. With retired cathedral builder through Cologne Cathedral. DuMont, Cologne 2020, ISBN 978-3-8321-6522-2 .
- 2011: Order of Merit of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia
- 2012: Mercurius Prize from KölnTourismus and Kölner Verkehrsverein
- 2018: Master Prize of the Cologne District Craftsmen's Association
- 2019: German Prize for Monument Protection - Journalist Prize for the column series in the Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger Auf den Punkt , with co-author Joachim Frank
- Literature by and about Barbara Schock-Werner in the catalog of the German National Library
- “Monument Advice” - personal website from Barbara Schock-Werner
- Johannes Schröer: Portrait of Barbara Schock-Werner on her 60th birthday, July 27, 2007. from: domradio.de, accessed on December 25, 2010.
- Kathrin Halfwasser: The mistress of the eternal construction site. In: The time. No. 1 of December 30, 2009.
- WDR 5 (Westdeutscher Rundfunk) Experienced stories from July 23, 2017: Barbara Schock-Werner, former master builder , author Ingo Zander
- Deutschlandfunk nuances. Music and questions about the person from June 2, 2019
- WDR 3 (Westdeutscher Rundfunk) talk on Saturday May 30, 2020
- General assembly elects a new presidium. on: deutsche-burgen.org
- Personalia. ( Memento of December 21, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) at: deutsche-burgen.org , accessed on August 9, 2012.
- Statute of the Zentral-Dombau-Verein zu Köln at: www.zdv.de , accessed on December 5, 2019.
- Passauer Hauck becomes the new cathedral builder in Cologne. on: rp-online.de , July 1, 2011.
- http://www.koelner-dom.de/go/index.php?id=19801&tx_ttnews& (link not available)
- The Federal Government Minister of State for Culture and the Media press release of April 18, 2019: Reconstruction of Notre-Dame. Expert coordinates German offers of assistance , accessed on April 21, 2019.
- Mercurius Prize awarded for the eighth time on koeln-deutz.de, accessed on September 16, 2017.
- Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger of August 3, 2019: "To the point". Monument conservationists award the KStA series with Barbara Schock-Werner , accessed on August 4, 2019
- German National Committee for Monument Protection Press release of August 5, 2019: Awarding of the German Prize for Monument Protection 2019 , accessed on August 8, 2019
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Holes, Barbara (married name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German architect, art historian, monument conservator, university lecturer and Cologne cathedral master builder|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 23, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ludwigsburg|