Karl Braun (politician, 1807)
Alexander Karl Hermann Braun (born May 10, 1807 in Plauen ; † March 23, 1868 ibid) was a Saxon lawyer and liberal politician. During the March Revolution of 1848/49 he was chairman of the entire Saxon ministry .
Before starting his political career, Karl Braun worked as a lawyer in his hometown of Plauen. He was elected a member in 1839 and President of the Second Chamber of the Saxon State Parliament in 1845 . During this time he campaigned extensively for the modernization of the judiciary (introduction of the public and the orality of court proceedings). His liberal party sent him on trips to the Rhineland, France and England in order to study the practical execution of the public procedure on the spot.
On March 16, 1848, after the overthrow of the government under Julius Traugott von Könneritz, he was charged with forming a new government (the Saxon March Cabinet ), in which he was given the chairmanship and the justice department. Because he could not come to an understanding with the radical majority in the Second Chamber, he resigned from his offices on February 24, 1849 and was again a member of the state parliament from 1849 to 1850. In March 1850 he resigned his mandate and became governor in Plauen . He held this office until his death. In 1867 Karl Braun was a member of the constituent Reichstag of the North German Confederation for the constituency of Saxony 23 ( Plauen , Oelsnitz , Klingenthal ). In the Reichstag he belonged to the faction of the Old Liberal Center .
As a legal author, he contributed to the magazine for justice and administration and the yearbooks for Saxon criminal law .
- Main parts of the public-oral criminal proceedings with public prosecutor's office according to French and Dutch legislation , Leipzig 1845.
- Heinrich Theodor Flathe : Braun, Karl (Saxon statesman) . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 3, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1876, p. 269.
- Josef Matzerath : Braun, Alexander Karl Hermann . In: Institute for Saxon History and Folklore (Ed.): Saxon Biography .
- Brown, Alex. Karl Herrmann in the database of members of the Reichstag
- Biography of Alexander Karl Hermann Braun . In: Heinrich Best : database of the members of the Reichstag of the Empire 1867/71 to 1918 (Biorab - Kaiserreich)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Braun, Alexander Karl Hermann (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Saxon politician and head of government|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 10, 1807|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Plauen|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 23, 1868|
|Place of death||Plauen|