Geert Wilhelm Mackenroth (born February 1, 1950 in Kiel ) is a German lawyer and politician ( CDU ). From 2004 to 2009 he was the Saxon State Minister of Justice and has been a member of the Saxon State Parliament since 2009 . On December 17, 2014, he was elected by the Saxon State Parliament to succeed Martin Gillo as the Saxon Commissioner for Foreigners .
Life and work
In 1975 he became a public prosecutor in Bremen and in 1977 he joined the Public Prosecutor's Office of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen . In 1979 he became a judge at the Bad Oldesloe District Court . After he became director of the Mölln district court in 1986 and worked at the Schleswig-Holstein Higher Regional Court in Schleswig from 1987 , he became chairman of the main judges' council at the Schleswig-Holstein Ministry of Justice in 1995 , which he remained until 2000. In 2000 he became President of the Itzehoe Regional Court .
From 1996 to 2001 he was a member of the judges' selection committee of the Schleswig-Holstein state parliament . From 1990 to 1999 he was on the board of the Schleswig-Holstein Judges Association and from 2001 to 2003 chairman of the German Association of Judges .
Mackenroth has been a member of the CDU since 2003. In August 2003 Mackenroth became State Secretary in the Saxon State Ministry of Justice in Dresden . On November 11, 2004 he was appointed Minister of State for Justice in the second Milbradt cabinet and retained this position in Stanislaw Tillich's first cabinet .
From 2009 to 2015 Mackenroth was chairman of the CDU district association in Meißen and headed the state committee for economics and innovation of his party.
In the state elections in Saxony in 2009 , Mackenroth won the direct mandate in the Riesa-Großenhain constituency 1 . In the subsequent formation of the government, he was not considered again for a ministerial office and therefore left office in September 2009. Mackenroth was deputy chairman of the committee for science and universities, culture and media; Member of the budget and finance committee as well as chairman of the first committee of inquiry of the fifth electoral term of the Saxon state parliament (“rubbish inquiry”).
In the state elections in Saxony in 2014 , Mackenroth managed to defend his direct mandate in the Meißen 1 constituency . He moved back into the Saxon state parliament. Mackenroth is a member of the petitions committee and a member of the evaluation committee of the Saxon state parliament in the current legislative period.
After Frank Kupfer announced his resignation, Prime Minister Michael Kretschmer presented Mackenroth as his preferred candidate for the CDU parliamentary group chairmanship in the Saxon state parliament on September 13, 2018 . In the fight vote on September 25, 2018, however, Christian Hartmann was able to prevail against Mackenroth with 32 to 24 votes.
As chairman of the German Association of Judges, Mackenroth drew violent criticism in 2003 when, on the occasion of the Jakob von Metzler murder , he suggested that he could imagine constellations in which the threat of torture by law enforcement authorities was justified. He later withdrew this opinion.
In 2008, during the Dresden bridge dispute , he accused the opponents of the Waldschlößchenbrücke that they were "the intellectual fathers of those [...] who commit crimes in the vicinity of the bridge construction site" and spoke of "bridge jihadism " in this context .
He was criticized for his late reaction to incidents in the West Saxon prison for juveniles in Regis-Breitingen . In May 2008, inmates brutally tortured a youth there and asked to commit suicide. Two inmates then tried to strangle him. At a press conference in July 2009, Mackenroth stated that immediately after this case there were several measures to protect against attacks on prisoners. A few days later it became known that Mackenroth had not mentioned another case of torture that had occurred a few months after the first crime in September 2008. One of the perpetrators from the first case was involved again. In addition, two cases of suicide in the juvenile detention center became known.
On the occasion of an escalation in Bautzen on September 9, 2016 between young Germans and refugees, he had a press release declared seven days later: “With us, everyone is allowed to express their opinion and to demonstrate for it, also against or for the refugee policy. However, our society will not tolerate violence, injuries, criminal offenses, hatred and racism. The defensive constitutional state will know how to answer. "
Geert Mackenroth does the following voluntary work:
- State Chairman of the White Ring eV (since 2010)
- Vice President of the DRK regional association of Saxony
Mackenroth also dressed
- the office of a board member of FORUM TIBERIUS - International Forum for Culture and Economy e. V.
- the position of deputy chairman of the supervisory board at SG Dynamo Dresden (until November 2013)
- Short biography. Saxon State Parliament.
- Own website
- Website at the CDU parliamentary group in the Saxon state parliament
- CV of Geert Mackenroth, August 21, 2015
- “Touched, shocked”: Saxony’s CDU parliamentary group leader Frank Kupfer is giving up his post. The politician suffers from depression. . In: sz-online.de . Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Hartmann, new CDU parliamentary group leader , SZ, September 25, 2018.
- Netzeitung : Mackenroth withdraws statements about torture ( memento of October 22, 2013 in the Internet Archive ). February 24, 2003 (see also the articles linked there)
- Die Welt : Dresden's Waldschlösschenbrücke heats up tempers . May 9, 2008
- Saxony: Torture scandal in juvenile prison
- MDR : Another case of abuse in Regis-Breitingen ( Memento from July 13, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- Torture scandal: "Terrifying conditions behind modern walls"
- Website of Weißer Ring eV Landesverband Sachsen
- Presidium of the DRK Saxony on the website
- Board of the Forum Tiberius. In: forum-tiberius.org. Archived from the original on December 17, 2013 ; Retrieved March 19, 2016 .
- Sportbuzzer.de: Dynamo Dresden's supervisory board Geert Mackenroth warns: "30, 40 hardliners control the club".
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Mackenroth, Geert Wilhelm (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German lawyer and politician (CDU)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 1, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kiel|