Leon de Winter
Leon de Winter is the son of poor Dutch Orthodox Jews who survived the Holocaust in hiding places given to them by a group of Catholic priests and nuns for two years. Nine out of ten of his uncles and aunts were murdered in the concentration camp .
De Winter learned the German language at the Dutch school for six years. After training at the Bavaria Film Academy in Munich , De Winter studied at the Amsterdam Film Academy , which he left a year before the final exam. He published his first novel at the age of 24. Today he lives and works in Bloemendaal and Los Angeles and is married to the writer Jessica Durlacher . The couple has two children. His work includes novels , stories and scripts , some of which he wrote himself. The Hollywood sky was made into a film by Sönke Wortmann . De Winter is a regular guest author for the Axis of Good . He appears alongside Henryk M. Broder in the TV documentary The Eternal Antisemite, made by director and film producer Joachim Schroeder .
Although the art of film is the background of his work, De Winter is mainly known as a novelist. In addition, in the past he became increasingly known as a blogger and author of opinion articles with decidedly Islam-critical and pro-Israeli positions. Despite their differences, his novels, written in Dutch , often show repetitive motifs and in some cases have strong autobiographical features: De Winter's main characters, who often appear as first-person narrators, are all male and Jewish and often Dutch. All deal with their Judaism in different ways; in the novel Zionoco this takes on absurdly comical traits, in Sokolov's universe it leads the plot to Israel and leads to the plea for the Jewish state. De Winter also often deals with the relationship with an overpowering, unreachable and unloved father, for example in the novel Supertex . De Winter likes to illuminate the game of the sexes and often works with the problems that arise for his main characters from the tension between marriage, loyalty, lust and sex. De Winter's novels show a very lively choice of words, often taken from everyday language, which, for example, also uses drastic expressions in the novel Hoffman's Hunger . He also often uses Yiddish sprinkles. Ulrich Greiner's verdict on the novel A Good Heart (2013): “Seldom has one read such an exciting, intelligent and explosive book.” With Jessica Durlacher, De Winter wrote the libretto for the musical production Anne , which will take place on May 8, 2014 in the Amsterdam Theater Premiered.
Attacks by Theo van Gogh
In an interview with Die Welt , De Winter said that he had once resolved to "drink a good glass of wine to the news of Theo van Gogh's death". For him he has always been “a disgusting person”. Van Gogh had written in a widely read Amsterdam student paper that De Winter and his wife could only sleep together "if they had barbed wire wrapped around his penis". He would then “at the height of 'Auschwitz! Auschwitz!' call". De Winter's wife's father is an Auschwitz survivor. Van Gogh had deliberately insultingly and untruthfully claimed that de Winter was collecting barbed wire from concentration camps.
“What was fascinating about such attacks was the deep silence in the area. Nobody in the editorial office of the Studentenblatt noticed what van Gogh was doing. In all these years support had practically only come from Jews; the colleagues remained silent with a few exceptions ”.
Opinions on Islam and Islamism
In an interview in the news magazine Der Spiegel with Henryk M. Broder , De Winter defended the use of non-constitutional means in dealing with Islamist terrorists, such as the torture of prisoners in Guantánamo . In the sense of a “new totalitarianism ” he said in an interview: “After the left fascism of the Soviets , after the right-wing fascism of the Nazis , Islamism is the fascism of the 21st century.” De Winter expressly welcomed the Iraq war .
In an article in Die Zeit , he sees a lack of harmony in the Netherlands between Islamic ideas of respect, honor and shame and Western values: The increasing " self-liberation " of women of North African origin in the Netherlands is seen as a loss of power and a threat to the honor of their male relatives . De Winter finds it remarkable that most Dutch Muslims would not have accepted Van Gogh's murderer as a pious Muslim, but rather branded him a heretic , thus wanting to rid themselves of all moral responsibility by distancing themselves.
Works in German translation (selection)
- The (ver) education of the younger Dürer. (1979). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 1986 (German); New edition under the title Nur weg hier! The adventures of a new good-for-nothing. Diogenes, Zurich 1992. ISBN 3-7466-1471-6 .
- Place de la Bastille. (1981). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 2005 (German). ISBN 3-257-06496-9 .
- Leo Kaplan. (1986). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 2001 (German). ISBN 3-257-23317-5 .
- Hoffmann's hunger. (1990). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 1994 (German). ISBN 3-257-22831-7 .
- SuperTex. (1991). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 1994 (German). ISBN 3-257-22872-4 .
- Sokolov's universe. (1992). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 2001 (German). ISBN 3-257-23288-8 .
- Serenade. (1995). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 1996 (German). ISBN 3-257-22972-0 .
- Zionoco. (1995). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 1997 (German). ISBN 3-257-23017-6 .
- Hollywood heaven. (1997). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 1998 (German). ISBN 3-257-23143-1 .
- Malibu. (2002). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 2003 (German). ISBN 3-257-23434-1 . (Orig. God's Gym )
- The right to return. (2008). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 2009 (German). ISBN 978-3257067330 .
- A good heart. (2013). Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 2013 (German). ISBN 978-3-257-06877-1 .
- Geronimo. , Novel. Diogenes, Zurich 2016, ISBN 978-3-257-06971-6 .
- Leon de Winter on Theo van Gogh: “Defending tolerance” - Hagalil.com , November 2004
- Robert Misik : One who prefers to exaggerate. In: the daily newspaper . Berlin March 6, 2006.
- "Man without qualities" . After a year in US administration under Barack Obama, Leon de Winter draws controversial conclusions
- Little Warriors , Focus 42/13, October 14, 2013
- Back to EWG , Spiegel Online, May 17, 2010
- Time for a New Ally, Jerusalem Post, 06/15/2009
- We embarrass ourselves before the eyes of the world On the return of Ayaan Hirsi Ali to the Netherlands (2007); on Spiegel Online , October 3, 2007
- In June 2010 his article “Mr. President, you have no idea! ”What Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu may have always wanted to say to American President Barack Obama ... in which he clearly criticized Obama's Israel policy. Obama is too influenced by his friend Rashid Khalidi . The Middle East is not about Palestine , a strip of land, but about the basic values of the Islamic world, about culture: Arabs and Muslims are so obsessed with their magnificent, medieval, secular claims, legitimized by their religious myths, that they are not in can live in the present and be afraid of the future.
- 1992: The Sign ( De Johnsons ) - Director: Rudolf van den Berg
- 1993: Hoffmans Hunger ( Hoffman's honger ) - also director
- 2001: The Sky of Hollywood - Director: Sönke Wortmann
- 2003: Supertex - One Hour in Paradise - Director: Jan Schütte
- 1990: The (ver) education of the younger Dürer, radio of the GDR , director: Bert Bredemeyer
- 1999: The Sky of Hollywood, WDR , director: Christoph Dietrich
- 2004: Malibu, WDR , director: Norbert Schaeffer
- 2010: Leo Kaplan, hr , director: Leonhard Koppelmann
- 2017: Geronimo, NDR , director: Christiane Ohaus
- 1973: Ontmoetingsprijs Stichting Literaire Dagen
- 1979: Reina Prinsen Geerligsprijs
- 2002: WELT Literature Prize
- 2006: Buber Rosenzweig Medal
- Literature by and about Leon de Winter in the catalog of the German National Library
- Leon de Winter in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Short biography and reviews of works by Leon de Winter at perlentaucher.de
- Poet Festival Erlangen 2001
- Officiële website van de roman God's Gym van Leon de Winter (Dutch)
- There is more crime, more beggars ( Memento from September 24, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Talks at the end of the year; in the Tages-Anzeiger , December 23, 2013.
- Diogenes Verlag | News: Leon de Winter is 60 years old. August 31, 2014, accessed May 30, 2020 .
- Harald Hordych: Leon de Winter on Holland , Süddeutsche Zeitung , April 19, 2014, p. V2 / 10
- Guest contributions by Leon de Winter at the Axis of the Good .
- Zeit Literature No. 41, September 2013, p. 18.
- Marie Gamillscheg : Anne Frank, now also with a snack box , in: Die Welt , May 8, 2014
- Leon de De Winter: A glass of wine on Theo van Gogh. in: The world . Springer, Berlin November 27, 2004.
- Henryk M. Broder : Sometimes we only have the choice between disaster and catastrophe. Interview with L. de Winter. in: Der Spiegel . Hamburg August 1, 2005.
- Leon de Winter: DEBATE: THE WORSE WAR . In: Der Spiegel . No. 6 , 2003 ( online ).
- Leon de De Winter: Before the ruins of the great dream. in: The time . Hamburg November 18, 2004.
- Dirk Schümer : Pretty much best friends. , FAZ , September 10, 2013, p. 29
- Konkret (journal) Heft 6, 2010, p. 26f; first in the blog “Pajamas Media”. On Khalidi cf. Art. Palestine War , bibliography
- ARD audio game database
- "Leon's Secret" Laudation by Henryk M. Broder on the award of the WELT Literature Prize 2002
|SURNAME||Winter, Leon de|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Winter, Leon De|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch writer and filmmaker|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 26, 1954|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||'s-Hertogenbosch , Netherlands|