Scout Movement Switzerland

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Path in the Wehrenbach -Tobel in Zurich Witikon

The Scout Movement Switzerland (PBS) is the umbrella organization of the Swiss Scouts (gender-neutral and Girl Scouts Scouts called). It was created in 1987 through the merger of the Swiss Scout Association (SPB) and the Federation of Swiss Girl Scouts (BSP).


Swiss form of the boy scout lily

With more than 48,000 members (as of 2020), the association is the largest children and youth organization in Switzerland. It brings together 22 cantonal associations with more than 550 local groups ( departments ). The PBS works according to the principle “young people lead young people”. So which are department Executive rarely above 25 and the Group Executive old usually between 17 to 20 years.

The association is a member of the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) and World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS).

Unlike in Germany, there is only one large scout association in Switzerland. Most of the members are direct members of the PBS through the cantonal associations. But the Association of Catholic Boy Scouts is also a member of the PBS.

Outside of the PBS, several small organizations emerged after 1980 that refuse to modernize the content of the Scout work, mostly with a few hundred members. These include the Swiss Scouting Europe / Scoutisme Européen Suisse and Feuerkreis Niklaus von Flüe . In addition, various foreign scout organizations have groups in Switzerland, including the Boy Scouts of America , the Girl Scouts of the USA and the Danish Scout Corps.

Scout & Sport AG , better known under the name hajk , is also part of the PBS structure . Hajk is the official supplier of the Swiss Scout Movement and, in addition to the specific Scout range, offers a wide range of outdoor products. Scout und Sport AG is 90% owned by the Swiss Scout Movement, the remaining 10% belong to the cantonal associations, so any profits from hajk flow entirely into youth work. There are over 500 hajk material points across Switzerland that are run by the scouting departments on a voluntary basis, and hajk also operates a shop at Speichergasse 31 in Bern and a web shop.


To implement the scout method, the Swiss Scout Movement divides its program into five age groups, for which different activities are offered, each with its own focus.

old name Name of the stage Age Name of the group members
Beaver stage 5-6 years beaver
1st stage Wolf level 6-10 years Wolves
2nd stage Path level 10-14 years Scout
3rd stage Pio level 14-17 years Pios
4th stage Rover stage from 17 years rover

See also


Web links

Commons : Scouting movement in Switzerland  - collection of pictures, videos and audio files

Individual evidence

  1. ^ A new age group - Scouts - Scout Movement Switzerland - PBS
  2. The Rover Level (from 17 years) - Scout - Scout Movement Switzerland - PBS