Sigismund von Kollonitz
Sigismund Graf Kollonitz von Kollógrad , also: Kollonitsch , Kollonich , Kollonics , Collonicz (* May 30, 1677 in Vienna ; † April 12, 1751 ibid) was titular bishop of Scutari after 1700 , became Bishop of Waitzen (Hungarian: Vác ) in 1709 from 1716 to 1722 Prince-Bishop of the Diocese of Vienna and from 1722 to 1751 the first Prince-Archbishop of Vienna. He was elevated to cardinal priest of Santi Marcellino e Pietro in 1727 , received the titular church of San Crisogono as cardinal priest in 1740 and the title of Protector Germaniae from Emperor Franz I in 1747 .
Sigismund was a son of Ulrich Reichsgraf Kollonitz von Kollegrád, Freiherr zu Burgschleinitz and Haindorf auf Jedenspeigen and Groß-Schützen and was promoted by his uncle, the Cardinal Prince Primas of Hungary and Archbishop of Gran (Esztargom) Leopold Karl Graf von Kollonitz .
After attending the Jesuit Convict in Neuhaus ( Bohemia ), he studied at the German College of Apollinaris in Rome and was awarded a doctorate in theology . He was ordained a priest on October 22, 1699, was canon in Gran ( Hungary ) as early as 1700 and was ordained titular bishop of Scutari. From 1705 he was the Royal Hungarian Council and from October 14, 1709 Bishop of Waitzen (Hungarian Vác ), where he founded the Piarist College.
On July 1, 1716, he became Prince-Bishop of the Diocese of Vienna. Together with Emperor Karl VI. he tried to work with Pope Clement XI. to elevate Vienna to an archdiocese. The Passau prince-bishop Raymund Ferdinand Count von Discounta tried to prevent this, but on March 6, 1721 the congregation in Rome agreed. Only on June 1, 1722, the decision of the Consistory of Cardinals followed. On February 14, 1723 by Pope Innocent XIII. The signed investigation bull Suprema dispositione brought to Vienna. Since then, Kollonitz has held the title of Prince Archbishop , to which the diocese of Wiener Neustadt was subordinated as a suffragan. In 1729 the Vienna diocesan area was expanded when the area under the Vienna Woods (with the parishes between Vienna and Wiener Neustadt ) was separated from the Diocese of Passau .
From Pope Benedict XIII. elevated to cardinal on November 26, 1727 and at the same time appointed cardinal priest of Santi Marcellino e Pietro , Kollonitz changed the titular church in 1740 and became cardinal priest of San Crisogono . Already in 1747 the Cardinal had of Emperor Franz I. the title of Protector Germaniae been awarded.
He was an avid bishop who required his priests to attend annual retreats and to wear clerical clothing. In 1719 he also introduced retreats for lay people . He appointed his own convert priest for the Protestants . He increased the foundation capital for the training of priests in St. Barbara and St. Stephan. In 1727 he bought a garden palace in Vienna-Landstrasse , which he had converted into a poor house; This was enlarged from 1784 and adapted to the disabled house . In 1730 he carried out a general visit to his diocese.
He was also able to win the legal dispute with the cathedral chapter of St. Stephen when the Pope gave him jurisdiction over the canons. In return, he raised the cathedral provost , Josef Heinrich Braitenbücher, to vicar general and auxiliary bishop in 1728 .
Since he was the last of the line of Counts Kollonitz, in 1728 he adopted the son of his father's half-sister, Ladislaus Freiherren Zay von Csömör . He made him the heir of his dominions on the condition that he and all his descendants, with the complete omission of their previous name and coat of arms, should only call and write Count and Countess von Kollonitz (Kollonitsch).
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Kollonitz, Sigismund Graf von . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 12th part. Imperial and Royal Court and State Printing Office, Vienna 1864, p. 363 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Ernst Tomek: Church history of Austria. Tyrolia, Innsbruck / Vienna / Munich 1935–1959.
- Josef Vodka: Church in Austria. Guide through their history. Herder, Vienna 1959.
- Franz Loidl: History of the Archdiocese of Vienna. Herold, Vienna 1983. ISBN 3-7008-0223-4
- Susanne Siebert: Sigismund von Kollonitz. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 4, Bautz, Herzberg 1992, ISBN 3-88309-038-7 , Sp. 348-349.
- Entry on Sigismund von Kollonitz in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Entry on Sigismund von Kollonitz on catholic-hierarchy.org
- Entry on Sigismund von Kollonitz in the database of the state's memory for the history of the state of Lower Austria ( Museum Niederösterreich )
- J. Siebmacher's large book of arms. Volume 26: The coats of arms of the nobility in Lower Austria. Part 2, S-Z. Reprint edition of the arrangement by Johann Baptist Witting (Nuremberg 1918); Verlag Bauer and Raspe, owner Gerhard Geßner, Neustadt an der Aisch, 1983, p. 615.
|Franz Ferdinand von Rummel||
Archbishop of Vienna
|Johann Joseph von Trautson|
|SURNAME||Kollonitz, Sigismund von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kollonitz, Sigismund Graf von; Kollonitsch, Sigismund von; Kollonich, Sigismund von; Collonicz, Sigismund von|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Archbishop of Vienna and Cardinal|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 30, 1677|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 12, 1751|
|Place of death||Vienna|