The Boys (TV series)
|German title||The Boys|
|Original title||The Boys|
|Country of production||United States|
|Year (s)||since 2019|
Amazon Studios ,
Original Film ,
Point Gray Pictures ,
Sony Pictures Television
|Episodes||8 in 1+ seasons ( list )|
Superhero film ,
black humor ,
Eric Kripke ,
Evan Goldberg ,
|Initial release||July 26, 2019 on Prime Video|
First publication in German
|July 26, 2019 on Prime Video|
The Boys is an American superhero television series based on the comic book of the same name by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson . It premiered on July 26, 2019 with the release of the entire first season on Prime Video .
The Boys is set in a world where superheroes are celebrated. However, this is a tough business, behind which there are powerful corporations like Vought, who know how to stage and market their heroes. Although they strive to maintain a clean image in public, many superheroes are corrupted by their power and abuse it. They lack empathy and the ability to manage crises ; They regard dead or mutilated people succinctly as collateral damage, privately many indulge in obscure perversions .
Hughie Campbell leads a carefree life as a salesman and hesitantly plans a future with his girlfriend Robin, until one day she is grossly negligently killed by the superhero A-Train when he runs through her on the street in front of his eyes and tears up in the process. This causes desperation and bitterness for Hughie, not least because A-Train regards the incident with mockery and Vought cynically offers him compensation against a duty of confidentiality. Then Billy Butcher comes into his life and offers him revenge on the superhero. Led by Butcher, who blames the superhero Homelander for his wife's death, he, Hughie, and other allies throughout the series set about using violence and blackmail against the superheroes.
Homelander is considered a national hero and is at the head of the Seven , the most famous superhero group (a parody of the Justice League ). He knows how to hide his cruelty and contempt for normal people. The Seven are complemented by the disaffected, alcoholic Queen Maeve, the mysterious, silent Black Noir, the "invisible" Translucent, A-Train, the fastest man in the world, and The Deep, who struggles with his outsider role as a "fish boy". The young Starlight is accepted as a new member in the group. At first idealistic and full of zest for action, she quickly sobered up reality and the sexual abuse by The Deep.
The comic book was published from 2006 to 2012. The first six issues were of Wildstorm , a DC - Imprint released, the remaining been published by Dynamite. As early as April 2016, the first reports came up that Cinemax wanted to develop a television series as an adaptation of the comic with Eric Kripke as screenwriter and the directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg . On November 8, 2017, Amazon Studios announced the production of an eight-episode season . Sony Pictures Television and Original Films were named as co-producers .
In April 2018, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg were replaced by Dan Trachtenberg as director of the first episode due to scheduling conflicts . Main filming for the first season began on May 22, 2018 in Toronto and ended on September 25, 2018. Artist Darick Robertson was Simon Pegg's visual template for the Hughie Campbell of the comics. Since Pegg was now too old for this role, the role of Hughie's father, which is missing in the comics, was created as a homage to him and taken over by Pegg.
The series premiered on July 26, 2019 on Prime Video with the simultaneous release of all episodes. Even before the release, a second season was commissioned in March 2019. On July 19, 2019, Aya Cash was confirmed for the role of Stormfront, the Nazi superhero and leader of Team Payback (an Avengers parody). The first three episodes of the eight-part second season should be available on Prime Video from September 4, 2020, the remaining five episodes should be published weekly until October 9, 2020. In July 2020, the series was prematurely extended for a third season. On August 19, 2020, it was announced that Supernatural star Jensen Ackles will play the role of Soldier Boy in season three.
Cast and dubbing
|role||actor||image||Main role||Supporting role||Voice actor|
|The guys (The Boys)|
|William "Billy" Butcher||Karl Urban||1.01–||Tobias Kluckert|
|Hugh "Hughie" Campbell||Jack Quaid||1.01–||Patrick Baehr|
|Frenchie||Tomer Kapon||1.02–||Julien Haggège|
|Marvin "Mother's" Milk||Laz Alonso||1.03–||Matti Klemm|
|Kimiko / The female||Karen Fukuhara||1.04–||Franziska van der Heide|
|The Seven (The Seven)|
|John / Homelander||Antony Starr||1.01–||Norman Matt|
|Annie January / Starlight||Erin Moriarty||1.01–||Victoria Frenz|
|Queen Maeve||Dominique McElligott||1.01–||Marie Bierstedt|
|A train||Jessie Usher||1.01–||Ozan Unal|
|Kevin / The Deep||Chace Crawford||1.01–||Arne Stephan|
|Black Noir||Nathan Mitchell||1.01–||mute|
|Translucent||Alex Hassell||1.01-1.02, 1.07||Alexander Doering|
|Madelyn Stillwell||Elisabeth Shue||1.01–1.08||Maud Ackermann|
|Ashley Barrett||Colby minifie||1.01-1.03, 1.05-1.06||Mia Diekow|
|Jonah Vogelbaum||John Doman||1.06-1.07||Eberhard Haar|
|Stan Edgar||Giancarlo Esposito||1.08||Torsten Michaelis|
|Other superheroes (supes)|
|Ezekiel||Shaun Benson||1.01–1.02, 1.04–1.05||Florian Halm|
|Charlotte / Popclaw||Brittany Allen||1.03-1.05||Julia Kaufmann|
|Mesmer||Haley Joel Osment||1.06-1.07||Benjamin Krause|
|Hugh Campbell Sr.||Simon Pegg||1.01-1.03, 1.07||Simon hunter|
|Donna January||Ann Cusack||1.01, 1.05, 1.08||Silke Matthias|
|Susan Raynor||Jennifer Esposito||1.02, 1.04, 1.06-1.08||Victoria Storm|
|Becca Butcher||Shantel VanSanten||1.04, 1.07-1.08||Andrea Cleven|
( total )
( St. )
|German title||Original title||Director||script|
|1||1||Every beginning is difficult ...||The name of the game||Dan Trachtenberg||Eric Kripke|
|2||2||Cherry||Cherry||Dan Trachtenberg||Matt Shakman|
|3||3||At all costs||Get some||Phil Sgriccia||George Mastras|
|4th||4th||The female of the species||The Female of the Species||Fred Toye||Anne Cofell Saunders|
|5||5||Good for the soul||Good for the soul||Stefan Schwartz||Anne Cofell Saunders|
|6th||6th||The innocent||The Innocents||Jennifer Phang||Rebecca Sonnenshine|
|7th||7th||The self-preservation society||The Self-Preservation Society||Dan Attias||Craig Rosenberg & Ellie Monahan|
|8th||8th||You found me||You Found Me||Eric Kripke||Anne Cofell Saunders & Rebecca Sonnenshine|
|The entire first season was first released on July 26, 2019 on Prime Video in both the original and German.|
( total )
( St. )
|German title||Original title||Director||script|
|9||1||-||The Big Ride||-||Eric Kripke|
|10||2||-||Proper preparation and planning||-||Rebecca Sonnenshine|
|11||3||-||Nothing Like It in the World||-||Michael Saltzman|
|12||4th||-||Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men||-||Craig Rosenberg|
|13||5||-||We Gotta Go Now||-||Ellie Monahan|
|14th||6th||-||The Bloody Doors Off||-||Anslem Richardson|
|15th||7th||-||Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker||-||Craig Rosenberg|
|16||8th||-||What I know||-||Rebecca Sonnenshine|
The reviews of The Boys were mostly positive. The Rotten Tomatoes series has an aggregate rating of 81%, with a total of 75 reviews. Amazon announced that The Boys is the most watched series of the year on Prime Video after just two weeks. Andreas Borcholte from Spiegel called The Boys a "stroke of luck" for Amazon. The premise is similar to the Watchmen comic series , but with a focus on the group that wants to take action against the crimes of superheroes. The series is full of surprisingly coarse slogans and repeatedly exploding violence. What the series lacks in sex, is absorbed by the actors Quaid and Moriarty with a "disarming heartiness".
Nicky Wong from TV Spielfilm notes that the series is “brutal”, for him “almost too brutal”. However, he sees the “splatter and gor elements” as “underlining the comic character”. Kristina Kielblock from kino.de writes that The Boys could "possibly change the way you view superheroes permanently".
“Entertainment, satire, social criticism. The anti-superhero series 'The Boys' has all the ingredients to be a huge success. (...) Because the rage of civilization has broken through: In the form of the intelligent-cynical, but sometimes highly comical Amazon Prime series 'The Boys'. The scenario is as simple as it is ingenious: there really are superheroes, they are world stars, have their own brands, films, products, and are on Instagram. And they are deeply corrupt, narcissistic, hypocritical. You can see them beaming at public appearances and greedy at the internal negotiation of shares in the proceeds. (...) They are bitterly drawn parodies of real heroes. "
“What if superheroes abuse their power? The series 'The Boys' is dedicated to this question. Prime Video's eight-part series focuses on the major social issues of our time. Must see! (..) The eight-part series illuminates the dark side of superheroism and at the same time criticizes the cultic worship of celebrities and the international marketing of famous people. The producers Eric Kripke, Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen have made it their business to lump together the major social issues of the last few years. And the project was a success, you can tell that much. (...) The company (Vought) monetizes every move made by the costumed heroes and of course it also hushes up derailments as well as serious collateral damage that kills innocent people. "
- Award in the Best Drama Series category
- Nellie Andreeva: 'The Boys' Drama Based On Comic Book Set At Cinemax With Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, Eric Kripke, Original Film & Sony . In: deadline.com . April 6, 2016. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Nellie Andreeva: Amazon Orders 'The Boys' Superhero Drama Series Based On Comic From Eric Kripke, Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen . In: deadline.com . November 8, 2017. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Denise Petski: 'The Boys': Dan Trachtenberg To Direct First Episode Of Superhero Drama Series For Amazon . In: deadline.com . April 30, 2018. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- In Production: Toronto and Ontario . In: whatsfilming.ca . June 16, 2018. Archived from the original on July 17, 2018. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Simon Pegg plays the only possible role for him in The Boys: his own father . October 9, 2018. Archived from the original on July 28, 2019. Retrieved on April 18, 2019.
- Valentin Aschenbrenner: The Boys: Simon Pegg has always been too old for Wee Hughie. In: IGN Germany. July 17, 2018, accessed November 9, 2019 .
- "The Boys": Trailer & specific start date of the anti-superhero series on Prime . In: kino.de . April 18, 2019. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Mariano Glas: The Boys: Season 2 of the superhero series . In: Serienjunkies.de . March 17, 2019. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Joseph Baxter: The Boys Season 2 Confirmed, Aya Cash Added to Cast . In: denofgeek.com . July 19, 2019. Retrieved July 28, 2019.
- Season 2 of "The Boys" gets even better & bloodier! November 7, 2019, accessed February 9, 2020 .
- Greg Evans: 'The Boys' Season 2 Gets Premiere Date From Amazon Prime. In: Deadline.com . June 26, 2020, accessed June 26, 2020 .
- Peter White: 'The Boys' Renewed At Amazon For Season 3, Streamer Sets Aisha Tyler-Hosted Aftershow - Comic-Con @ Home. In: Deadline.com . July 23, 2020, accessed July 24, 2020 .
- After "Supernatural" -Aus: Jensen Ackles becomes the first superhero in "The Boys". August 19, 2020, accessed August 29, 2020 .
- The Boys. In: synchronkartei.de. German dubbing file , accessed on December 10, 2019 .
- The Boys: Season 1 (2019). In: Rotten Tomatoes . Accessed August 11, 2019 .
- Sebastian Riermeier: Amazon Prime Video - The Boys: Superhero series is the most watched show of the streaming service. In: Playcentral. August 11, 2019, accessed August 12, 2019 .
- Andreas Borcholte: The Anti-Avengers. In: Spiegel Online . July 31, 2019, accessed August 13, 2019 .
- Nicky Wong: The Boys: Amazon's New Anti-Avengers Series is incredibly brutal. July 29, 2019. Retrieved July 29, 2019 .
- Kristina Kielblock: "The Boys" in the stream on Prime! FSK 16 & great fun! July 29, 2019. Retrieved July 29, 2019 .
- Jannik Schäfer: Heroism on Sale. July 27, 2019, accessed July 29, 2019 .
- Michael Dirk Scholz: Evil superheroes. July 25, 2019, accessed July 29, 2019 .