Tierralta on the map of Colombia
Tierralta municipality location on the map of Cordoba
|surface||5025 km 2|
|Population density||22 people / km 2|
|Time zone||UTC -5|
|City Presidency||Fabio Leonardo Otero Avilez (2016-2019)|
Tierralta is located in the southwest of Córdoba on the Río Sinú in the sub-region Alto Sinú , about 80 km from Montería . The municipality borders in the north on Montería, in the northwest on Valencia , in the west and south on the Departamento de Antioquia ( Apartadó , Carepa , Chigorodó , Mutatá and Ituango ), in the east on Montelíbano and in the northeast on Planeta Rica .
The municipality of Tierralta has 109,770 inhabitants, of which 48,886 live in the urban part (cabecera municipal) of the municipality (as of 2019).
Before the arrival of the Spaniards, the indigenous people of the Zenú lived in the area of today's Tierralta . The area of the Zenú was conquered by Pedro de Heredia , the Zenú almost completely exterminated. The region was repopulated from 1840 in order to obtain raw materials such as gold , wood and natural rubber . Tierralta itself was founded in 1909 by Santiago Cabal and developed into an important river port on the Río Sinú. The first attempt to declare Tierralta to be an independent municipality failed in 1931. Finally, Tierralta was detached from Montería in 1949 and declared a municipality.
The main industries in Tierralta are agriculture , especially the cultivation of corn , cassava , bananas and rice , and cattle production . The timber industry and fishing also play an important role.
sons and daughters of the town
- Julio César Vidal Ortiz (* 1944), Prelate of Alto Sinú / Bishop of Montelíbano (1993–2001), Bishop of Montería (2001–2010) and Bishop of Cúcuta (2011–2015)
- Miguel Borja (* 1993), football player
- Alcaldía de Tierralta. Alcaldía de Tierralta - Córdoba, accessed on June 9, 2019 (Spanish, website of the municipality of Tierralta).
- Información del municipio. Alcaldía de Tierralta - Córdoba, accessed June 9, 2019 (Spanish, information on the geography of the municipality).
- ESTIMACIONES DE POBLACIÓN 1985 - 2005 Y PROYECCIONES DE POBLACIÓN 2005 - 2020 TOTAL DEPARTAMENTAL POR ÁREA. (Excel; 1.72 MB) DANE, May 11, 2011, accessed on June 9, 2019 (Spanish, extrapolation of the population of Colombia).
- Pasado, presente y futuro. Alcaldía de Tierralta - Córdoba, accessed June 9, 2019 (Spanish, information on the history of the municipality).
- Economía. Alcaldía de Tierralta - Córdoba, accessed June 9, 2019 (Spanish, information on the municipality's economy).