Burg Herzberg Festival
The Burg-Herzberg Festival , also known as Bonsai - Woodstock , is a music and literature festival of hippie culture in the district of Gehau in Breitenbach . With 12,000 visitors, the Burg-Herzberg-Festival is the largest open-air hippie festival in Europe .
Founded in 1968 as a band competition by The Petards
The first festival took place as one of the earliest open-air hippie festivals in Germany on July 7, 1968 at Herzberg Castle , near Alsfeld in Hesse . The initiative for the first German underground festival went a. by Horst Ebert , Arno Dittrich , Klaus Ebert , Bernd Wippich from The Petards with the support of the aristocratic Dörnberg family .
1968 played in front of thousands of visitors at the band competition of the BURG-BEAT-SHOW in addition to The Petards, The Merchants and The Blue Moons with the drummer Gerd Grabowski . Some of the bands played at dizzying heights on the connection between the towers, while the audience sat directly on the walls and the castle plateau. The Blue Moons won the competition.
At the 1st German Underground Festival from 1-2. April 1970 played exclusively German bands such as B. The Petards, Guru Guru , Amon Düül , Embryo and Can . After The Petards had split up with Horst Ebert, the Breitenbacher Open Air event ended first . The festival was no longer held between 1973 and 1990.
New edition by Karl-Heinz Becker
In 1991 the festival was re-launched by Karl-Heinz Becker with the association "Movement of the Hippies" and the support of Baron Jürgen von Dörnberg . The large festival attendance of more than 10,000 visitors meant that in 1997 the venue was relocated from the castle.
Since 1998 the Burg-Herzberg-Festival has taken place annually at the foot of the castle hill of Burg Herzberg near Hof Huhnstadt .
In 2002 the last festival organized by Karl-Heinz Becker took place at Herzberg Castle. In 2001 Karl-Heinz Becker organized a competition festival at Cornberg Monastery . Kraan , Epitaph and Amon Düül stood on the stage . In 2002 Becker tried to combine the two festivals into a mammoth trip, but the sudden illness of the Spiritus Rector canceled the festival at Cornberg Monastery. In 2003 the Burg-Herzberg-Festival took place at Schloss Wilhelmstal near Eisenach with New Glass from Old Shards , Fehlfarben , Freygang and Eric Burdon .
Continuation by Fulda music lovers
In 2003 there was no festival at Herzberg Castle. Since 2004 the Burg-Herzberg-Festival has been organized again at Burg Herzberg by a team from Fulda music lovers under the name "Herzberg Festival GmbH".
The bands that perform at this festival are mostly progressive bands and more or less well-known bands from the 1970s and 1980s. But there are also many other groups and artists of different styles, z. B. from the areas of blues, folk, songwriter and pop-rock. The bands and performers now come from all over the world: the best known are 17 Hippies , Amsterdam Klezmer Band , AnnenMayKantereit , Ash Ra Tempel , Birth Control , Caravan , Colosseum , Electric Orange , Epitaph , Eric Burdon , Faust , Hamid Baroudi , Gong , Götz Widmann , Ian Anderson , Joe Bonamassa , Kettcar , Gov't Mule , Grobschnitt , Guru Guru , Hellmut Hattler , Hawkwind , Iron Butterfly , IQ , Jane , Klaus der Geiger , Kraan , Manfred Mann's Earth Band , John Mayall , Marillion , LaBrassBanda , Morcheeba , Graham Nash , Jeff Beck , Nektar , Ougenweide , Ozric Tentacles , Paatos , Patti Smith , Pavlov's Dog , Porcupine Tree , Randy Hansen , Selig , Soft Machine , Steppenwolf , The Supremes , Ten Years After , The Waterboys , Tito & Tarantula , Trigon , UFO , Uriah Heep , Van der Graaf Generator and Wishbone Ash .
- Herzberg Jam Gang 2004 (DVD)
- Burg Herzberg Festival 2005 (WDR, Eins Festival and DVD)
- Burg Herzberg Festival 2006 (WDR, Eins Festival and double DVD)
- Burg-Herzberg Festival at Rockpalast, WDR 1, 2005
- Burg-Herzberg-Festival at Rockpalast, WDR 1, 2006
Live concerts on DVD
- Big Brother and the Holding Company - Hold Me (Live in Germany)
- Space Debris - Into the Sun 2006
- Crumble machine - live 2006
- IQ - Stage - Dark Matter live in America and Germany
- Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Now and Then (released 2009/2010)
- Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Unearthed - The Best of 1973-2005 (released 2008)
- Burg Herzberg Open Air Vol. 1 - We are children of revolt
- Burg Herzberg Open Air Vol.2 - Welcome to Freakcity
- Electric Milkandhoneyland
- Live at Hof Huhnstadt
- Herzberg Castle Festival V
- Fill Your Hearts with Joy and Love a Lot
- Today Is A Good Day
Live concerts on CD
- Color Haze - Live 2008
- Sunya Beat - Comin Soon - live 2001
- Big Brother and the Holding Company - "Hold On" - live 2005
- WIND - "Live in the Land of Milk and Honey" - live 2005
- Hidria Spacefolk - Live at Heart (2006)
- Omigosh - Rainbows on my blue suede shoes (2006)
- Quantum Fantay - From Herzberg to Living-Room (2006)
- Crumble Machine - live (2006)
- Space Debris - Into the Sun (2006)
- Wicked Minds - Live at Burg Herzberg Festival 2006
- Areknamés - Live at the Burg Herzberg Festival 2007
- Schizofrantik - live (2007)
- Fairport Convention - Live at Open Air Burg Herzberg
- Kraan - Live 2001
- Late September Dogs - Rush (Live 2001)
- Pentangle - Live at Open Air Burg Herzberg (not released, (1999))
- Porcupine Tree - Burg Herzberg Festival 2001
- Burg Herzberg Festival 2002
- Burg Herzberg Festival 2003
- Herzberg 2004
- iH8 Camera - iH8 Camera (2006)
- Embryo - Live at Burg Herzberg Festival 2007 (2007)
- The Magnificient Brotherhood - Live Ammunition (2008)
- White Cowbell Oklahoma - Viva Live Locos (live 2006) (2011)
- Vibravoid - live at Burg Herzberg Festival 2010 (2011)
- Sunya Beat - Comin Soon (2006)
- Wicked Minds - Live at Burg Herzberg Festival 2006 (2006)
- Magnificient Brotherhood - Live at Burg Herzberg (2009)
- Vibravoid - live at Burg Herzberg Festival 2011 (2011)
- v / a - Handmade (2016)
Live concerts on VHS
- Ash Ra Tempel - Live at Open Air Burg Herzberg (VHS)
- Ulrich Holbein : Between the Big Bang and Herzberg I as a hippie in space and time. Nightshade, Solothurn 2002 ISBN 3-907080-90-4 .
- Frank Seifert, Michael Fuchs-Gamböck: Let The Children Play! . Book on demand .
- Frank Schäfer : Burg Herzberg Festival - since 1968 . Verlag Andreas Reiffer, Meine bei Braunschweig 2018
- New illustrated book "Since 1968" on 50 years of Burg Herzberg Festival. Hessische / Niedersächsische Allgemeine , accessed on February 5, 2019 .
- Nadine Kalbfleisch in: Lauterbacher Anzeiger from July 25, 2018
- Nadine Kalbfleisch in: Giessener Zeitung from July 26, 2018
- Homepage of Frank Seifert - Retrieved on August 14, 2019