|Height :||596 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||8.58 km²|
|Residents :||876 (Dec. 31, 2017)|
|Population density :||102 inhabitants / km²|
|Incorporation :||January 1, 1977|
|Postal code :||35759|
|Area code :||02775|
Mademühlen is located in the Hessischer Westerwald landscape protection area and in the European Natura 2000 network of protected areas .
Located on the upper reaches of the Rehbach, between two dams, the place owes its name to a series of mills that have existed along the upper reaches of the Rehbach over the centuries. Around 1800 it is mentioned in a description as a rich farming village. A typical Westerwald farmhouse from Mademühlen is on display in the Hessenpark open-air museum.
As part of the regional reform in Hesse , the previously independent municipality of Mademühlen was incorporated into Driedorf on January 1, 1977 by the law to reorganize the Dill district, the districts of Gießen and Wetzlar and the city of Gießen . For maggot mills, as for the other formerly independent municipalities, a local district with a local advisory council and local councilor was set up.
From 1906 to 1984, Mademühlen had a direct rail connection in passenger and freight traffic through the Herborn – Montabaur line ( Westerwaldquerbahn ), which has since been closed and largely dismantled. In the meantime, there is a cycle path on the old embankment.
Territorial history and administration
The following list gives an overview of the territories in which Mademühlen was located and the administrative units to which it was subordinate:
- before 1739: Holy Roman Empire , County / Principality of Nassau-Dillenburg , Driedorf office
- from 1739: Holy Roman Empire, Principality of Nassau-Diez , Driedorf office
- 1806–1813: Grand Duchy of Berg , Department of Sieg , Canton of Driedorf
- 1813–1815: Principality of Nassau-Orange , Driedorf office
- from 1816: German Confederation , Duchy of Nassau , Herborn office
- from 1849: German Confederation, Duchy of Nassau, Herborn district office
- from 1854: German Confederation, Duchy of Nassau, Herborn Office
- from 1867: North German Confederation , Kingdom of Prussia , Province of Hessen-Nassau , Administrative Region of Wiesbaden , Dillkreis
- from 1871: German Empire , Kingdom of Prussia, Province of Hessen-Nassau, administrative district of Wiesbaden, Dillkreis
- from 1918: German Empire, Free State of Prussia , Province of Hessen-Nassau, Administrative Region of Wiesbaden, Dillkreis
- from 1932: German Empire, Free State of Prussia, Province of Hesse-Nassau, District of Wiesbaden, District of Dillenburg
- from 1933: German Reich, Free State of Prussia, Province of Hessen-Nassau, Administrative Region of Wiesbaden, Dillkreis
- from 1944: German Empire, Free State of Prussia, Nassau Province , Dill District
- from 1945: American occupation zone , Greater Hesse , Wiesbaden district, Dillkreis
- from 1949: Federal Republic of Germany , State of Hesse , Wiesbaden district, Dillkreis
- from 1968: Federal Republic of Germany, State of Hesse, administrative district Darmstadt , Dillkreis
- On January 1, 1971, Mademühlen was incorporated as a district of the newly formed municipality of Driedorf.
- from 1977: Federal Republic of Germany, State of Hesse, Darmstadt administrative district, Lahn-Dill district
- from 1981: Federal Republic of Germany, State of Hesse, Gießen administrative district , Lahn-Dill district
|Mademühlen: Population from 1834 to 2017|
|Data source: Historical municipality register for Hesse: The population of the municipalities from 1834 to 1967. Wiesbaden: Hessisches Statistisches Landesamt, 1968. |
Source: Historical local dictionary
|• 1885:||415 Protestant (= 98.57%), none Catholic, 6 other Christians (= 1.43%)|
|• 1961:||482 Protestant (= 80.60%), 111 Catholic (= 18.56%) residents|
Local advisory board
(Result of the March 2006 election)
- SPD: 3 seats
- CDU: 2 seats
- FWG: 2 seats
(Result of the March 2011 election)
- SPD: 4 seats
- FWG: 3 seats
(Result of the March 2016 election)
- SPD: 3 seats
- FWG: 2 seats
Culture and sights
Adolf Weiß (1861–1938), local poet, whose memorial is on the Hahrehausen (knot area). He invented the greeting "Hui Wäller, allemol" for the Westerwald Association . He explains in verse how he came up with it:
- The "Hui", the storm wind taught me
- when he drives wild over our heathen,
- and we are "Wäller"
- we defy the rain, the storm and the wind.
The 11th century Evangelical Church on Rehbach is a defining feature of the site. It is also the oldest building in the Driedorf community. A Mademühlen Einhaus from 1709 is now in the Hessenpark near Neu-Anspach .
Economy and Infrastructure
For several years the Westerwald wind has been used to generate electricity. 6 of the 17 Driedorf wind turbines are located in Mademühlen. In the districts of Waldaubach , Hohenroth , Mademühlen and Münchhausen, around 13 million kilowatt hours of electricity are generated by wind energy, which arithmetically covers around 40% of the municipality's total energy needs.
The Krombachtalsperre recreation area is also located in the Mademühlen district . Camping holidays or year-round camping are just as possible here as sailing, surfing, boating and swimming. The Krombachtalsperre can be reached with the "Blue Line" (bus with bicycle transport) from Herborn . A second dam nearby is the Driedorf reservoir .
free time activities
Hiking on the Wäller tour "Greifenstein loop", which opened in May 2010, is ideal in Mademühlen. The Greifenstein loop is a tour that is part of the Westerwaldsteig .
- Mademühlen on the website of the municipality of Driedorf
- Mademühlen, Lahn-Dill district. Historical local dictionary for Hessen. In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- Literature on Mademühlen in the Hessian Bibliography
- Driedorf in numbers - municipal statistics. Municipality of Driedorf, archived from the original ; accessed on February 18, 2017 . (Data from archive)
- Law on the restructuring of the Dill district, the districts of Gießen and Wetzlar and the city of Gießen (GVBl. II 330–28) of May 13, 1974 . In: The Hessian Minister of the Interior (ed.): Law and Ordinance Gazette for the State of Hesse . 1974 No. 17 , p. 237 ff ., § 22 ( online at the information system of the Hessian state parliament [PDF; 1,2 MB ]).
- Main statute of the municipality of Driedorf. (PDF; 16 kB) In: Website. Municipality of Driedorf, accessed February 2019 .
- Mademühlen, Lahn-Dill district. Historical local dictionary for Hessen. (As of May 24, 2018). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- Michael Rademacher: German administrative history from the unification of the empire in 1871 to the reunification in 1990. State of Hesse. (Online material for the dissertation, Osnabrück 2006).
- Anton Friedrich Büsching: D. Anton Friderich Büsching's new description of the earth. The German empire. tape 3 . JC Bohn, 1771, p. 840 ( on google books ).
- Statistics 2003. In: Website. Municipality of Driedorf, archived from the original on February 10, 2004 ; accessed in February 2019 .
- Statistics 2006. In: Website. Municipality of Driedorf, archived from the original on February 10, 2004 ; accessed in February 2019 .
- Local boards of the municipality of Driedorf , accessed in February 2017.