|founded:||3rd February 1976|
|Governor :||Samuel Ortom|
|ISO 3166-2 :||NG-BE|
|Area :||34,059 km²|
|Rank in Nigeria:||11|
|Residents :||5,741,800 (2016)|
|Population density :||169 inhabitants / km² (2016)|
|Rank in Nigeria:||10|
The state is located in the southeast of the country and is bordered to the north by the state of Nassarawa , to the southwest by the states of Ebonyi and Enugu , to the southeast by the state of Cross River and Cameroon , to the west by the state of Kogi and to the east by the state of Taraba .
The state was formed on February 3, 1976 from part of the former Benue Plateau state . The first governor was Abdullahi Shelleng between March 1976 and July 1978 . The current governor has been Samuel Ortom since May 29, 2015 .
List of governors and administrators
- Abdullahi Shelleng (Governor 1976–1978)
- Adebayo Lawal (Governor 1978–1979)
- Aper Aku (governor 1979–1983)
- John Kpera (Governor 1984–1985)
- David Jang (Governor 1985–1986)
- Yohanna Madaki (Governor 1986)
- Ishaya Bakul (Governor 1986–1987)
- Idris Garba (governor 1987)
- Fidelis Makka (governor 1987–1992)
- Moses Adesu (Governor 1992–1993)
- Joshua O. Obademi (Administrator 1993–1996)
- Aminu Isa Kontagora (administrator 1996–1998)
- Dominic Oneya (Administrator 1998–1999)
- George Akume (Governor 1999-2007)
- Gabriel Suswam (Governor 2007-2015)
- Samuel Ortom (Governor 2015–)
The state is divided into 23 Local Government Areas . These are: Agatu, Apa, Apo, Bukuru, Gboko, Guma, Gwer East, Gwer West, Katsina-Ala, Konshisha, Kwande, Logo, Makurdi, Obi, Ogbadibo, Ohimini, Oju, Opkokwu, Oturpko, Tarka, Ukum, Ushongo and Vandeikya.
The main industry in Benue is agriculture . There are yams , rice , beans , cassava , potatoes , corn , soybeans , sorghum and millet grown. With a share of 70 percent, the state is the largest producer of soybeans in Nigeria.
Benue is also rich in natural resources . These include: limestone , gypsum , anhydrite , kaolin , natural gas , salt , petroleum , zinc , barium sulfate , clay , coal , calcite and magnetite . Of these raw materials, only limestone and kaolin are used commercially.