|founded:||September 23, 1987|
|Governor :||Ibrahim scheme|
|ISO 3166-2 :||NG-KT|
|Area :||24,192 km²|
|Rank in Nigeria:||17th|
|Residents :||7,831,300 (2016)|
|Population density :||324 inhabitants / km² (2016)|
|Rank in Nigeria:||5|
The state is located in the north of the country and is bordered by the Republic of Niger to the north, the state of Kaduna to the south, the state of Zamfara to the west, the state of Jigawa to the northeast and the state of Kano to the southeast .
Most of the residents of Katsinas State are Sunni Muslims . The Haussa ethnic group (often combined with the Fulani people to form the Hausa-Fulani population ) form the largest ethnic group in the state. Sharia , Islamic law , was officially introduced in the state of Katsina ten years ago .
The state was formed on September 23, 1987 from part of the state of Kaduna . The first governor was Abdullahi Sarki Mukhtar between September 1987 and July 1988. Governor from May 29, 1999 to May 29, 2007 was Umaru Yar'Adua of the liberal-conservative People's Democratic Party (PDP), which was elected President of Nigeria in 2007. The current governor since May 2007 is Ibrahim Schema , also from the PDP.
Governors and administrators
- Abdullahi Sarki Mukhtar (governor 1987–1988)
- Lawrence Onoja (governor 1988–1989)
- John Madaki (Governor 1989-1992)
- Sa'idu Barda (Governor 1992–1993)
- E. Acholonu (administrator 1993–1996)
- Samaila Chama (Administrator 1996–1998)
- Joseph Akaagerger (Administrator 1998–1999)
- Umaru Yar'Adua (Governor 1999–2007)
The state is divided into 34 Local Government Areas . These are: Bakori, Batagarawa, Batsari, Bau, Bindawa, Charanchi, Dandume, Danja, Dan-Musa, Daura, Dutsi, Dutsin-Ma, Faskari, Funtua, Ingawa, Jibia, Kafur, Kaita, Kankara, Kankia, Katsina, Kurfi , Kusada, Mai'Adua, Malumfashi, Mani, Mashi, Matazu, Musawa, Rimi, Sabuwa, Safana, Sandamu and Zango.
- C-GIDD (Canback Global Income Distribution Database) . Canback Dangel. Retrieved August 20, 2008.
- Nigeria: States & Cities - Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, Weather and Web Information. Retrieved February 7, 2018 .
- Gamal Nkromah: Nigeria fastened with nails . In: Al-Ahram Weekly Online . Al-Ahram Weekly. Archived from the original on May 4, 2007. Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved April 24, 2007.
- Katsina State . In: Nigeria Direct . Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation. Archived from the original on December 13, 2006. Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved January 20, 2007.