The Main Street in the center of Marshalltown
|Location in Iowa|
|Foundation :||1923 (incorporated)|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Marshall County|
|Time zone :||Central ( UTC − 6 / −5 )|
|Residents :||27,552 (as of 2010)|
|Population density :||550.9 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||50.01 km 2 (approx. 19 mi 2 )|
|Height :||286 m|
|Postal code :||50158|
|Area code :||+1 641|
|GNIS ID :||458824|
|Mayor :||James Lowrance|
The Marshall County Courthouse in Marshalltown, listed on the NRHP since 1972
Marshalltown is a town (with the status " City ") and the administrative seat of Marshall County in the US -amerikanischen State Iowa . At the 2010 census , Marshalltown had 27,552 residents, which increased to 27,844 by 2013.
Marshalltown is located in east central Iowa at the confluence of Linn Creek and the Iowa River , a right tributary of the Mississippi . This forms the border with Illinois around 230 km east . The Iowa- Minnesota border runs about 170 km north; Missouri's northern border is around 180 km south.
The geographical coordinates of Marshalltown are 42 ° 02'58 "north latitude and 92 ° 54'29" west longitude. The city extends over an area of 50.01 km² and is spread over the Timber Creek , Marion , Marietta , Le Grand and the Taylor Township .
Neighboring towns to Marshalltown are Conrad (14 miles north), Garwin (14 miles east-northeast), Le Grand (16.2 miles east-southeast), Montour (23.8 km in the same direction), Gilman (28.5 km southeast) , Ferguson (15.2 km south-southeast), Laurel (19 km south), Haverhill (15.8 km south-southwest), Melbourne (14.6 km southwest), State Center (14.7 km west-southwest), Albion (12.9 km southwest) km northwest) and Liscomb (23.9 km in the same direction).
The closest major cities are the Twin Cities ( Minneapolis and St. Paul ) in Minnesota (370 km north), Rochester in Minnesota (259 km northeast), Waterloo (94 km northeast), Dubuque at the interface of the states of Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois (235 km east-northeast), Wisconsin's capital Madison (381 km in the same direction), Cedar Rapids (111 km east), Rockford , Illinois (361 km in the same direction), Chicago , Illinois (469 km also east), Iowa's former Capital, Iowa City (149 km east-southeast), the Quad Cities in Iowa and Illinois (232 km in the same direction), Columbia in Missouri (414 km southeast), Kansas City in Missouri (391 km southwest), Iowa's capital Des Moines (83 , 5 km southwest), Nebraska's largest city, Omaha (306 km west-southwest), Sioux City (333 km west-northwest), and South Dakota's largest city, Sioux Falls (470 km northwest).
The four-lane US Highway 30 runs in a west-east direction through the south of the urban area of Marshalltown. Iowa Highway 14 , which runs in a south-north direction, runs through the city center as the main road and leaves Marshalltown over a bridge over the Iowa River in a northerly direction. All other roads are subordinate country roads, some unpaved roads and inner-city connecting roads.
By Marshalltown Municipal Transit a public bus system is operated, consisting of five lines.
A Union Pacific Railroad (UP) freight line from Mississippi to Omaha runs east-west through the center of the Marshalltown metropolitan area.
With the Marshalltown Municipal Airport to the city center is located 8 kilometers north a small airfield for general aviation and air taxi traffic . The nearest commercial airports are Waterloo Regional Airport (97 km northeast), Cedar Rapids Eastern Iowa Airport (113 km east) and Des Moines International Airport (93 km southwest).
The main employers in Marshallton are the local Marshalltown Company , a meat factory owned by JBS , a control technology plant from Emerson Electric and a heating and air conditioning plant from Lennox International , which was founded in Marshalltown in 1904.
According to the 2010 census , Marshalltown had 27,552 people in 10,335 households. The population density was 550.9 inhabitants per square kilometer. Statistically, 2.55 people lived in each of the 10,335 households.
The racial the population was composed of 84.8 percent white, 2.2 percent African American, 0.6 percent Native American, 1.7 percent Asian, 0.2 percent Polynesian and 7.9 percent from other ethnic groups; 2.6 percent were descended from two or more races. Regardless of ethnicity, 24.1 percent of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
26.1 percent of the population were under 18 years old, 57.2 percent were between 18 and 64 and 16.7 percent were 65 years or older. 50.2 percent of the population were female.
- William Peters Hepburn (1833–1916) - Republican Member of the US House of Representatives (1881–1887) - began his career as a lawyer in Marshalltown
- Benjamin T. Frederick (1834–1903) - Democratic MP for the US House of Representatives (1885–1887) - began his political career in Marshalltown
- Frank Jack Fletcher (1885–1973) - Admiral in the US Navy in World War II - was born and raised in Marshalltown
- Allie Morrison (1904–1966) - Olympic wrestling champion in 1928 - was born and raised in Marshalltown
- Jean Seberg (1938–1979) - actress - born and raised in Marshalltown
- Larry McKibben (* 1947) - Republican Senator in Iowa (1997–2003) - born and raised in Marshalltown
- Mary Beth Hurt (* 1948) - actress - born and raised in Marshalltown
- John Seeman (* 1950) - physicist - born in Marshalltown
- Toby Huss (* 1966) - actor - born and raised in Marshalltown
- Joseph Kosinski (* 1974) - director - grew up in Marshalltown
- City of Marshalltown - City Council.Retrieved March 30, 2015
- Extract from the National Register of Historic Places - No. 72000478. Retrieved March 30, 2015
- American Fact Finder. Retrieved March 30, 2015
- Distance according to Google Maps. Accessed March 30, 2015
- Marshalltown Municipal Transit. Retrieved March 30, 2015
- AirNav.com - Marshalltown Municipal Airport Accessed on March 30, 2015
- Marshalltown Company. Retrieved March 30, 2015
- JBS - Where we are. Retrieved March 30, 2015
- Lennox.com - Manufacturing Locations Retrieved on March 30, 2015
- Iowa Data Center. Retrieved March 30, 2015