Andreas Heldrich was born in Jena in 1935 as the son of the lawyer Karl Heldrich (1900–1939). He studied law from 1953 to 1957 at LMU and the University of London. In 1959 he was awarded a Dr. jur. PhD . In 1961 he passed his second state examination in law. In 1965 he completed his habilitation after having worked as an assistant at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law in Hamburg.
In 1972, he was (now Chair of Civil Law, Private International Law and Comparative Law) to the Chair at the Institute for International Law at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich appointed .
From 1976 to 1982 he was a member of the Science Council , from 1979 its chairman. From 1987 he was initially vice-president, from 1990 to 1994 prorector and from 1994 to 2002 rector of the LMU Munich.
honors and awards
- 1997 Cross of Merit 1st Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany , for services to university organization and university policy
In 2000 he was awarded the negative prize " Sprachpanscher des Jahres " from the German Language Association for the proposal to rename the faculties and departments of the university into departments .
- As an author
- Protection of privacy and freedom of the press. Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for European Law, Vienna 1998
- The interlocal private law of Germany according to the Unification Treaty. Verlag de Gruyter, Berlin et al. 1992
- Freedom of Science - Freedom to Error? Müller Jur. Verlag, Heidelberg 1987
- As a co-author or editor
- Heldrich, Andreas and Nili Cohen (Eds): Academic Freedom. Interdisciplinary Conference of Tel Aviv University and Munich University. Venice, October 1998. Utz Verlag, Munich 2001
- Heldrich, Andreas and Toshiyuki Kono (eds.): Challenges of International Civil Procedure Law: Japanese-German-Swiss Symposium on Current Issues in International Civil Procedure Law in Relation to the USA. Publishing house Mohr Siebeck 1994
- Heldrich, Andreas and Gerhard Schmidtchen: Justice as a Profession. CHBeck Verlag, Munich 1982
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German lawyer and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 20, 1935|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Jena|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 31, 2007|
|Place of death||Munich|