Get a grip
|Get a grip|
|Aerosmith studio album|
January - February and September - November 1992
|Label (s)||Geffen Records|
CD, LP, MC
14 15 with bonus title
Get a Grip (. English phrase: " bekomms under control ") is the eleventh studio album of American hard rock band Aerosmith . It was released in April 1993 by Geffen Records . Seven singles were released between 1993 and 1994, including the lead single Livin 'on the Edge and the ballads Cryin' and Crazy , which ran on heavy rotation on music television . Livin 'on the Edge and Crazy also won the Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal in 1994 and 1995 .
Origin and style
During the recordings, which took place in Los Angeles in early 1992 and in Vancouver , Canada in autumn 1992 , Don Henley was involved as guest musicians in the further ballad Amazing and Lenny Kravitz in Line Up . Numerous external authors contributed to the songwriting , such as Desmond Child , Jim Vallance , Mark Hudson , Richie Supa , Taylor Rhodes , Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw . The piece Livin 'on the Edge is to be understood as a social statement, musically the album moves between bluesy and pop-influenced hard rock .
The album is considered to be Aerosmith's best-selling with over 20 million copies sold worldwide. It reached number one on the Billboard 200 as well as number three in Switzerland and number three in Germany. The album received the Rockbjörnen award in Sweden for "best foreign album of the year" in 1993.
Stephen Thomas Erlewine from the Allmusic.com website criticized the fact that the album pales in comparison to its musically diverse predecessor. It is a "rehearsed performance". There isn't much to be found under the surface, which usually sounds good. He awarded two and a half stars out of five. Achim Karstens saw it differently in Rock Hard magazine . He wrote that Aerosmith had "lost none of their intensity and quality" with Get a Grip . In contrast to the predecessors you need "just a little more time to get used to the song material, which is by no means so accessible". The band put the focus "on the entire album" and not "on MTV-compatible singles", although he described the three ballads as suitable. He awarded 9.5 out of ten points.
- Intro (Perry, Vallance, Tyler) - 0:23
- Eat the Rich (Perry, Vallance, Tyler) - 4:09
- Get a Grip (Perry, Vallance, Tyler) - 3:58
- Fever (Perry, Tyler) - 4:15
- Livin 'on the Edge (Mark Hudson, Perry, Tyler) - 6:20
- Flesh (Desmond Child, Perry, Tyler) - 5:56
- Walk On Down (Perry) - 3:37
- Shut Up and Dance (Jack Blades, Perry, Tommy Shaw, Tyler) - 4:55
- Cryin ' (Perry, Taylor Rhodes, Tyler) - 5:08
- Gotta Love It (Hudson, Perry, Tyler) - 5:58
- Crazy (Child, Perry, Tyler) - 5:16
- Line Up (Lenny Kravitz, Perry, Tyler) - 4:02
- Amazing (Richard Supa, Tyler) - 5:56
- Boogie Man (Perry, Vallance, Tyler) - 2:16
Bonus track of the international version
- Can't Stop Messin (Tyler, Perry, Blades, Shaw) - 4:57 This moves the other pieces to positions 14 and 15.
Sales figures and awards
|Country / Region||Award||Sales|
|Awards for music sales
(country / region, Award, Sales)
Gold (BMG Brasil)
+ Gold (Universal Music)
|United States (RIAA)||7 × platinum||7,000,000|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||platinum||300,000|
|All in all||
7 × gold
14 × platinum
1 × diamond
Main article: Aerosmith / Music Sales Awards
- www.allmusic.com: Get a Grip review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
- Aerohistory: Aerosmith on Twitter. twitter.com, April 20, 2020, accessed August 1, 2020 .
- www.rockhard.de: Get a Grip review by Achim Karstens