Hans A. Engelhard
Hans Arnold Engelhard (born September 16, 1934 in Munich ; † March 11, 2008 there ) was a German politician ( FDP ). From 1972 to 1994 he was a member of the German Bundestag and from October 1982 to January 1991 Federal Minister of Justice .
education and profession
Engelhard was born the son of a couple from Munich doctors with Swiss ancestors. After high school in 1954 graduated from Engelhard, a study of law at the Universities of Erlangen and Munich . In 1963 he was the second legal state examination and received in the same year admitted to the lawyer .
Engelhard had been a member of the FDP since 1954. From 1970 to 1982 he was district chairman of the FDP in Munich. He was also a member of the state board of the FDP in Bavaria and the FDP federal board .
From 1970 to 1972 Engelhard was a member of the city council of the Bavarian capital and chairman of the FDP parliamentary group . In the local elections in June 1972 he ran unsuccessfully for the office of Lord Mayor. Five months later, Engelhard entered the German Bundestag in the federal election via the Bavarian state list , of which he remained a member until 1994. From 1977 to 1982 he was deputy chairman of here FDP - Bundestag faction .
After the change of government in 1982 , Engelhard was appointed Federal Minister of Justice on October 4, 1982 in the black and yellow federal government led by Chancellor Helmut Kohl . After the federal election in 1990 he left the federal government voluntarily on January 18, 1991. He was thus the Federal Minister of Justice with the longest term in office to date.
Engelhard had the reputation of a rather leisurely administration. This pointed Franz-Josef Strauss in a quip to the effect that if Engelhard painter would and, the hour hand would beat the brush from his hand a church clock whitewash would probably him.
- 1982: Great Gold Medal for Services to the Republic of Austria
- 1984: Bavarian Order of Merit
- 1985: Large Federal Cross of Merit
- 1989: Large Federal Cross of Merit with a star
- 1997: Golden Citizen Medal of the City of Munich
- Engelhard, Hans A. , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 29/2008 from July 15, 2008 (gi), in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- Rudolf Augstein : We, the real culprits. In: Der Spiegel. December 5, 1983, accessed on November 5, 2019 : “Now we have a liberal Federal Minister of Justice, whose characteristic is his leisurelyness. Franz Josef Strauss even thinks that his compatriot Engelhard should, as a master painter, whitewash the face of a church tower clock, would probably be killed by the hour hand. "
- List of all decorations awarded by the Federal President for services to the Republic of Austria from 1952 (PDF; 6.9 MB)
|SURNAME||Engelhard, Hans A.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Engelhard, Hans Arnold (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (FDP), Member of the Bundestag, Federal Minister of Justice|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 16, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 11, 2008|
|Place of death||Munich|