Ilio (Attica)

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Municipality of Ilio
Δήμος Ιλίου (Ίλιον)
Ilio (Attica) (Greece)
Basic data
State : GreeceGreece Greece
Region : Attica
Regional District : Athens West
Geographic coordinates : 38 ° 2 '  N , 23 ° 42'  E Coordinates: 38 ° 2 '  N , 23 ° 42'  E
Area : 9.453 km²
Residents : 84,793 (2011)
Population density : 8,970 inhabitants / km²
Post Code: 13121, 13122, 13123
Prefix: (+30) 210
Community logo:
Community logo of the Ilio community
Seat: Ilio
LAU-1 code no .: 4705
Districts : nof7
Local self-government : nof7f12f12
Location in the Attica region
File: 2011_Dimos_Iliou.png
f9 f8

Ilio ( Greek Ίλιο , often also called Ilion [Ίλιον], former name Nea Liosia [Νέα Λιόσια]) is one of the suburbs of the Greek capital Athens .


Ilion is 8 km northwest of the center of Athens and borders Agii Anargyri-Kamatero to the north and east , Peristeri to the south and Petroupoli to the west . It is located south of Mount Egaleo and Attiki Odos .

Like the wider area in western Athens, Ilion is characterized by trade, small industries and handicrafts. On average, the companies employ two to three workers. 24% of the municipality's workforce is wage-related, while the remaining 76% are self-employed.


The area was used for agriculture until the 19th century. Between 1848 and 1861, the Greek Queen Amalia built her summer residence west of the Kifisos with a mansion called Pyrgos Vasilissis ('Tower of the Queen') and an extensive park, the area of ​​which is still partially preserved in the modern Andonis Tritsis Park. A settlement of Bavarian civil servants and court employees, initially called Ilion Troas , was built in 1858 southwest of the royal estate. After the expulsion of the royal family and its civil servants in 1862, wealthy families from the surrounding villages of Liosia, Fyli and Menidi settled there and named the settlement Kato Liosia, at the end of the 19th century Nea Liosia prevailed. By 1920 the population of Nea Liosia grew to 1121 inhabitants. Nea Liosia was spun off from Athens in 1925 and became an independent rural community. In particular, the rural exodus in the 1950s and 1960s brought enormous population growth: In 1951 the community only had 5,460 inhabitants; In one decade the population increased sixfold by 1961 to almost 31,810 inhabitants, a percentage increase of 492%. This brought 1963 the upgrading to the city municipality (gr. Dimos ).

In September 1994 the city was officially named Ilion after the city council decided to revert to the city's original name from the middle of the last century.


Twin cities

Individual evidence

  1. Results of the 2011 census at the Greek Statistical Office ELSTAT ( Memento of the original from November 13, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.  @1@ 2Template: Webachiv / IABot /
  2. On the history of Ilios on the website of the municipality (Greek)
  3. Entry on Ilio in the database of the EETAA (Greek Society for Development and Decentralization)  ( page no longer available , search in web archivesInfo: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.@1@ 2Template: Dead Link /  

Web links