Martin Grubinger (born May 29, 1983 in Salzburg ) is an Austrian drummer , multi- percussionist and moderator .
Life and accomplishments
Grubinger received his first lessons from his father, Martin Grubinger senior, a percussionist and teacher for percussion instruments at the Mozarteum . Even as a teenager, Grubinger took part in international competitions such as the marimba world competition in Okaya ( Japan ), where, like the EBU competition in Norway, he was one of the finalists. He studied at the Bruckner Conservatory in Linz and from 2000 at the Mozarteum in Salzburg.
Since the academic year 2018/19 Grubinger has been a university professor for classical percussion / multipercussion at the Mozarteum University in Salzburg .
Martin Grubinger is considered one of the world's best marimba players. He appears in large concert halls and halls around the world and has already been heard in the Carnegie Hall in New York, the Concertgebouw (Amsterdam) , the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels, the Leipzig Gewandhaus and the Philharmonics of Cologne and Luxembourg . He played u. a. Rebond under Iannis Xenakis and with the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra under Simone Young . Grubinger caused a sensation in 2006 with a so-called drum marathon, the Showdown at Vienna Musikverein ( Wiener Musikverein ), or with a seven-hour drum night as part of the Beethoven Festival .
As a soloist , he premiered several pieces , including compositions by Anders Koppel and Rolf Wallin ; on 2/3 In December 2007 he was the soloist of the world premiere of Avner Dorman's percussion concerto Frozen in Time in Hamburg's Laeiszhalle , accompanied by the Hamburg Philharmonic State Orchestra under Simone Young. Grubinger also played this piece in January 2008 with the Munich Philharmonic under Juraj Valcuha . In February 2010 he performed in the Frankfurt Jahrhunderthalle together with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Frank Strobel at the Music Discovery Project (other contributors included the German hip-hop band Blumentopf and the German-Israeli pop singer Hila Bronstein ).
Bruno Hartl composed the concerto for marimbaphone, 4 timpani , percussion and orchestra , Friedrich Cerha a concerto for percussion and orchestra (world premiere in Salzburg 2009, Mozarteum Orchestra Salzburg under Ivor Bolton , further performances in 2011 with the Vienna Philharmonic and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra ).
In 2010 and 2011, Grubinger's four-hour project The Percussive Planet was performed with a 28-person, international instrumental ensemble, among others as part of the Rheingau Music Festival in the Phoenix-Halle in Mainz . At the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Vienna he appeared in the so-called Interval Act ("pause filler").
In 2016 he gave concerts with Yuja Wang in Beijing , Vienna, Munich, Zurich and Tel Aviv .
Since May 2010 , Grubinger has been moderating the music magazine KlickKlack on BR television, alternating with the cellist Sol Gabetta .
Martin Grubinger spoke out very clearly and repeatedly against racism , anti-Semitism and xenophobia . In workshops with different social groups he repeatedly points out that the diversity of global cultures, traditions and religions is an enriching element of a humanistically oriented society. In 2010, in protest against the reunification of the BZÖ and FPÖ, he canceled a concert at the Carinthian Summer and he only wants to perform again in Carinthia “when there is a climate there that is also multicultural, the togetherness, the cohesion of different traditions, different Peoples, different influences also feels connected again ”.
Other / private
According to his own statements, Grubinger owns around 500 idiophones and membranophones , of which he has mastered 400.
Martin Grubinger is married to the pianist Ferzan Önder and lives in Neukirchen an der Vöckla .
Prizes and awards
- 2006: time mood
- 2007: Act
- 2010: Drums 'n' Chant
- 2011: "In my head a bird sings all year round."
- 2011: The Percussive Planet - Live in Cologne
- 2012: Friedrich Cerha concert for percussion and orchestra "Impulse"
- The percussionist Martin Grubinger in concert. TV report, Germany, 2012, 3:46 min., Script: Jens von Larcher, production: Deutsche Welle , editing: euromaxx, first broadcast: July 5, 2012, online video
- Martin Grubinger & The Percussive Planet Ensemble. Concert recording, Germany, 2011, 85 min., Director: Hans Hadulla, production: WDR , Deutsche Grammophon , recording of a concert in the Cologne Philharmonic on May 8, 2010 as part of the Cologne Music Triennale
- Martin Grubinger. The summiteer. Documentary, Germany, 2008, 45 min., Script and direction: Daniel Finkernagl, Alexander Lück, production: AVE, ZDF , 3sat , first broadcast: April 19, 2008 on 3sat, series: young interpreters, film information ( memento from February 10, 2013 in the web archive archive.today ) with the beginning of the film (8 min.)
- Singing drums and racing pulse. The multi-percussionist Martin Grubinger. Documentation, Germany, 2006, 52 min., Director: Alexander Carlo Stenzel, production: hr , film information from arte .
- Official website of Martin Grubinger
- Presentation of the moderators ( memento from November 3, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) by KlickKlack. The music magazine on BR television
- Interview with Martin Grubinger , musicaustria.at, October 5, 2010
- ↑ Martin Grubinger, Univ.Prof. . In: Rectorate of the Mozarteum University Salzburg (Red.): Uni-mozarteum.at , accessed on August 27, 2019.
- ↑ Harald Budweg: The family, the Ösis and the whole world. In: FAZ , July 2, 2011, p. 50
- ↑ Interval Act at the Song Contest in Vienna is designed by Martin Grubinger on vienna.at; accessed on March 18, 2015
- ↑ Yuja Wang plus percussion: Fireworks on the piano. In: euronews. September 1, 2016, accessed December 30, 2016 .
- ↑ KlickKlack: The music magazine . Retrieved January 22, 2011.
- ↑ "Martin Grubinger stands for a humanist society and against anti-Semitism and right-wing extremism." In: Laudation for the award ceremony ( memento from November 11, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) of the 2010 Würth Prize In: jmd.info , January 29, 2010, ( PDF file, 1 p .; 99 kB); mu: v is the young initiative of Jeunesses Musicales Germany (JMD)
- ^ "Music, humanism and the fight against right-wing extremism and anti-Semitism. Those are the 3 priorities. ”In: Martin Grubinger in the mu: v interview ( Memento from November 11, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) In: jmd.info , 2009
- ↑ Uschi Loigge: Salzburg star percussionist cancels Carinthian performance ( Memento from January 10, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) In: Kleine Zeitung , January 7, 2010
- ↑ Frederik Hanssen: Martin Grubinger. Always stay quick-witted. In: Die Zeit , August 11, 2010
- ↑ diepresse.com: Martin Grubinger: "Mom is at home finance minister"
- ↑ Martin Grubinger. In: www.martingrubinger.at. Retrieved December 30, 2016 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian drummer and multi-percussionist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 29, 1983|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Salzburg|