|Residents||6,394 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||82 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||Visitazione della Beata Vergine Maria (May 31st)|
Subbiano on the banks of the Arno
The municipality is located about 14 km north of the provincial capital Arezzo and about 80 km southeast of the regional capital Florence in the Casentino valley on the left bank of the Arno (7 km in the municipality). Other important bodies of water in the municipality are the Torrenti Gravena (every 5 km in the municipality), La Chiassa (8 of 14 km in the municipality), Lendra (every 5 km in the municipality) and Sovara (4 of 20 km in the municipality).
The place is located on a south-eastern foothill of the Pratomagno mountain (1592 m) in the climatic classification of Italian municipalities in zone D, 2 041 GR / G. The churches of Subbiano are in the diocese of Arezzo-Cortona-Sansepolcro .
The districts include Calbenzano (290 m), Castelnuovo (265 m), Chiaveretto (305 m), Falciano (510 m), Poggio d'Acona (493 m), Ponte Caliano (266 m), Santa Mama (298 m) and Vogognano (520 m).
The place was first mentioned on February 12, 1009. The name probably comes from the Latin sub Janum condita .
- Chiesa di Santa Maria della Visitazione , church in the town center, mentioned in 1304. Was enlarged from the end of the 17th century and restored and redesigned in 1947. Contains the 17th century canvas painting Gesù Bambino che appare a San Giuseppe , which is attributed to Pietro Castellucci.
- Castello di Subbiano , castle in the town center.
- Castelnuovo di Subbiano , district with a castle, which was first mentioned in 1022.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria , church in Valenzano.
- Chiesa di San Mamante , church in Santa Mama.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria della Neve , church in Vogognano.
The place has the Subbiano stop, which is on the Ferrovia Casentinese railway line. The route goes from Arezzo to Stia . The breakpoint is on the right side of the Arno in the municipality of Capolona.
Sons and daughters of the church
- Ferdinando Giuseppe Antonelli (1896–1993), cardinal
- Emanuele Repetti: CAPOLONA nel Val d'Arno aretino. In: Dizionario Geografico Fisico Storico della Toscana (1833–1846). Online version of the University of Siena (pdf, Italian)
- Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- Official website of the Sistema Informativo Ambientale della Regione Toscana (SIRA) on the rivers in Subbiano , accessed on July 16, 2017 (Italian)
- Website of the Agenzia nazionale per le nuove tecnologie, l'energia e lo sviluppo economico sostenibile (ENEA), accessed on July 15 (Italian) (PDF; 330 kB)
- Official website of the ISTAT ( Istituto Nazionale di Statistica ) for the districts 2001 in the province of Arezzo, accessed on July 15, 2017 (Italian)
- http://www.comune.subbiano.ar.it/web_subbiano/Mille.htm comune.subbiano.ar.it: Official website of the municipality of Subbiano, accessed on January 6, 2010 (no longer available), link in the wayback. archive.org of June 7, 2006 ( memento of June 7, 2006 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on July 15, 2017
- http://www.comune.subbiano.ar.it/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2408&Itemid=173 ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. comune.subbiano.ar.it: Official website of the Municipality of Subbiano, accessed on January 6, 2010 (no longer available)
- I Luoghi della Fede.
- Castelli Toscani on Castelnuovo di Subbiano Castle , accessed on September 5, 2015 (Italian)