|Willis Reed Jr.
|June 25, 1942
|place of birth
|Bernice , Louisiana , United States
|Center / Power Forward
|Grambling State, Louisiana
|1964, 10th Pick , New York Knicks
|Clubs as active
|1964–1974 New York Knicks
Willis Reed Jr. (born June 25, 1942 in Bernice , Louisiana ) is a retired American basketball player . Throughout his professional career from 1964 to 1974 he played in the National Basketball Association (NBA) for the New York Knicks team . Reed is a one-time NBA MVP , 15-time all-star and two-time NBA champion , among others . In 1982 he was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame .
In the 1964 NBA Draft , Reed was selected 10th by the New York Knicks. At the end of his debut season, he was the first player in Knicks history to be voted NBA Rookie of the Year . Linked to this was the appointment to the NBA All-Rookie Team .
With the team he won the NBA championship in 1970 and 1973. In 1970 he was the first player in league history that both the award of a season MVP of the regular season, as well as the MVP of the finals received.
In the same year he was also elected to both the All-NBA First Team and the NBA All-Defensive First Team . Reed was also named Finals MVP for the Knicks' second NBA title in 1973. In total, Willis Reed was elected to the NBA All-Star Team seven times during his career.
His appearance at the NBA Finals in 1970 is legendary. In the decisive seventh game of the Knicks against the Los Angeles Lakers , Willis dragged himself onto the field to thunderous applause and converted his first two throws despite a thigh injury that already made him miss Game 6 of the series (which remained his only points of the whole game). Spurred on by his efforts, the Knicks eventually defeated the Lakers and took the title for the first time.
- Willis Reed - player profile on basketball-reference.com
- Willis Reed - player profile on nba.com
- NBA biography (English)
- Willis Reed in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
- Willis Reed Stats. In: basketball-reference.com. Retrieved May 3, 2020 .
- Willis Reed. In: NBA.com. Retrieved May 3, 2020 .
- The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame :: Willis Reed. In: hoophall.com. Retrieved May 3, 2020 .
- http://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nba/dallas-mavericks/1106/Artikel/nba-finals-dallas-mavericks-vor-spiel-5-gegen-miami-heat-preview-dirk -nowitzki-wie-willis-reed-why-lebron-james-und-dwyane-wade-not-harmonize.html
|Reed, Willis Jr.
|American basketball player
|DATE OF BIRTH
|June 25, 1942
|PLACE OF BIRTH
|Bernice , Louisiana