|Full name||James Edward Harden Jr.|
|birthday||26th August 1989 (age 31)|
|place of birth||Los Angeles , California , USA|
|position||Shooting Guard / Point Guard|
|NBA draft||2009 , 3rd pick , Oklahoma City Thunder|
|Clubs as active|
|2009–2012||Oklahoma City Thunder|
James Edward Harden Jr. (born August 26, 1989 in Los Angeles , California ) is an American basketball player who has been with the Houston Rockets in the NBA since 2012 . He previously played for the Oklahoma City Thunder , who selected him in the 2009 NBA Draft . With the Thunder, Harden was able to move into the NBA finals in 2012 and won the title of Sixth Man of the Year .
After moving to the Rockets in the 2012/13 season, Harden developed into one of the best players in the league. His successes include winning the Most Valuable Player Award (MVP) 2018, eight All-Star nominations, and six admissions to the All-NBA team . In addition, the Guard led the league three times in scoring. With Team USA he was also able to win the gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London and at the 2014 World Cup in Spain.
Harden is known for his eye-catching beard, which is why he has his nickname "The Beard". He is best known as an outstanding scorer, but during his time in Houston he also developed more and more into an extraordinary development player and passer. In the 2016/17 season he led the league in addition to his 29 points per game in assists . Harden is currently considered by most experts to be the best shooting guard in the NBA.
James Harden was born in Los Angeles , California and went to Artesia High School in Lakewood , Los Angeles County, along with former NBA players Jason Kapono , Ed O'Bannon and Charles O'Bannon . In his senior year he reached 18.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. With the school selection, he won the state championship as a junior as well as a senior with a record of 33: 1 and 33: 2 respectively.
Harden then attended Arizona State University . In his second year of college as a sophomore for the Arizona State Sun Devils , he was honored by a nomination for the All-American team and named Player of the Year at his conference . He was selected third in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Oklahoma City Thunder .
Professional basketball in the NBA
In his first year as a professional, Harden was able to assert himself as a regular player at the Thunder. Its first use in the regular season took place on October 28, 2009 in the Chesapeake Energy Arena against the Sacramento Kings . He was used in 76 games of the season for an average of 22.9 minutes, but not once in the starting five . He got 3.2 rebounds and 9.9 points per game and 93 successful three-point throws with a hit rate of 37.5%. In the game at the Orlando Magic on November 18, 2009, he got six three-point throws and thus his previous career best. In the play-offs , the Thunder lost in the first round after six games against the Los Angeles Lakers . Harden was elected to the NBA All-Rookie Second Team by the NBA coaches for his achievements as a rookie .
In the 2010/11 season Harden retained its role as a Sixth Man . In 82 regular season games, five of which were in the starting five, he had an average playing time of 26.7 minutes, 12.2 points and 3.1 rebounds. He achieved a total of 113 three-point throws with a hit rate of 34.9%. On February 12, 2011, Harden reached a new career record with five steals in the game with the Sacramento Kings . As part of the NBA All-Star Game 2011 , Harden played for the team of sophomores in the NBA Rookie Challenge .
As winners of the Northwest Division and fourth-placed team in the Western Conference, the Thunder reached the play-offs. After a 4-1 win against the Denver Nuggets and a 4: 3 against the Memphis Grizzlies, the team lost 4-1 in the conference final to the eventual champions Dallas Mavericks . During the play-offs, Harden had more play with an average of 31.6 minutes.
During the 2011/12 regular season , Harden was used longer, averaging 31.4 minutes, reaching 16.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists. He was only twice in the starting five in 62 games, so he kept his role as Sixth Man. In the game at the Dallas Mavericks on February 1, 2012, he achieved a new career record with 9 assists . On April 18, 2012 he scored 40 points away against the Phoenix Suns, a new career record.
The blow with the elbow of Metta World Peace caused a sensation, which hit Harden in the face in the league game on April 22, 2012 and with a concussion put him out of action for the rest of the game. World Peace was subsequently suspended for seven games. In the home game six days later against the Mavericks, Harden was back on the field and was used for 35 minutes.
In the regular season 2011/12 Harden was able to improve further. He hit 114 three-point throws with a rate of 39%, making it the twelfth most of all players. He was able to place himself even better in successful free throws, with 312 he was eighth here. Harden won the NBA Sixth Man of the Year award for best player to come off the bench.
Again as winners of their division and as the second-placed team in the Western Conference , the Thunder went into the play-offs. In the first round, the team defeated the Mavericks 4-0 and was able to take revenge for the defeat the year before. In the second round, the Lakers were defeated 4-1 and reached the Conference Finals again. After a 4-2 win against the San Antonio Spurs they were in the finals, but they were lost 4-1 against the Miami Heat .
In the summer of 2012, Harden and Thunder agreed to negotiate a contract extension. Shortly before the start of the season, OKC Harden submitted the final offer for 4 years and 52 million dollars. Harden refused. The Thunder Harden then transferred to the Houston Rockets in exchange for Kevin Martin before the start of the season . With the Rockets, Harden signed a five-year contract for a little less than $ 80 million.
In his first game for Houston on October 31st at the Detroit Pistons , where, unlike in Oklahoma City , he counted directly to the starting five , he scored 37 points and with 12 assists his career best. Only Kiki Vandeweghe , who scored 47 points in his first game for Portland on October 27, 1984 with the Kansas City Kings , and Wilt Chamberlain with 43 points in his first NBA game for the Philadelphia Warriors against the New York Knicks on October 24, 1960 were more successful in the first game for their new club. In his second game for Houston, he scored 45 points against the Atlanta Hawks, a new personal high. The 82 points achieved in the first two games set a new NBA record. Chamberlain scored 79 points in the first two games of his career.
In the game with the Cleveland Cavaliers on January 5, 2013, he got seven steals and thus reached his career best. In the home game against the Charlotte Bobcats on February 2, 2013 Harden reached the first triple-double of his career. Harden was selected as a substitute for the Western Conference for the 2013 NBA All-Star Game on February 17 at the Toyota Center in Houston . On February 20, he set new career highs in a match against his former club Oklahoma City at the Toyota Center with 46 points and 7 three-point throws.
In the regular season he got a total of 25.9 points per game, making him the fifth best player in the NBA. He was awarded 792 free throws, leading this statistic. He scored 674 of them and was just behind Kevin Durant , who scored 679 times. In the three-point throws, he finished sixth with 179 hits.
The Rockets reached the play-offs as eighth of the Western Conference. There they lost 4-2 to Oklahoma City Thunder in the first round after they were already 3-0 behind.
In the following year, the Rockets strengthened with the center Dwight Howard , who should relieve Harden. Harden again took fifth place in the scoring list with 25.4 points. He was also invited to the NBA All-Star Game for the second time . With the Rockets he qualified for the play-offs, but was eliminated again in the first round against the Portland Trail Blazers 2-4 .
In the 2014/15 season , Harden achieved a career record on April 1, 2015 with 51 points against the Sacramento Kings . A few days earlier, he scored 50 points against the Denver Nuggets . This season he also got four triple doubles and ten games in which he scored more than 40 points. The Rockets won the division title for the first time in 21 years. In the play-offs, after a series of victories against the Dallas Mavericks and Los Angeles Clippers , they reached the Western Conference final, where they lost 4-1 to the eventual NBA champions Golden State Warriors . In the MVP of the season, Harden came in second behind Stephen Curry . In the first election to MVP by the NBPA players' union , Harden won the title.
In the 2015/16 season , Harden scored the most points of all NBA players (2376 in 82 games) and finished the season with 28.98 points per game behind Stephen Curry (30.1) in second. He stood on the field for 38.1 minutes per game and achieved a throw rate of 43.9% and a free throw rate of 86%. He led the NBA in taken and hit free throws, but also in ball losses (4.3 per game). In terms of the absolute number of ball losses, he set a record for the past 38 years. With the Rockets he qualified just on the last day of the game as the last team for the play-offs, where they were eliminated with 1: 4 against the Golden State Warriors in the first round.
On January 24, 2019, Harden scored his career best with 61 points against the New York Knicks . It was the fifth game of the season in which he scored more than 50 points. On March 22, 2019, he again scored 61 points in defeating the San Antonio Spurs . At the end of the season, Harden shared the record with Kobe Bryant for the most 30-point games in a season with a total of 56 games. He is also the second player in NBA history after Michael Jordan to score more than 2700 points, 500 rebounds and 500 assists in one season and he is also the only player next to Jordan to score more than 30 points, 7 rebounds, 5 Assists and 2 steals on average in one season. For the third time in a row, Harden was unanimously elected to the first team of the NBA selection.
Hardens style of play lives mainly from his offensive talents. He is left-handed and can both attack the basket directly with his athleticism and score accurately from a distance. He incurs a lot of fouls and is often the top player in the NBA season stats to be awarded free throws. He was able to improve his qualities as a playmaker from year to year, so that in the 2011/12 regular season he became the second best assistant to Thunder behind Russell Westbrook . At the Houston Rockets, he quickly became the most important player and has the highest playing time and the most points per game.
Awards and Achievements
- 1 × NBA Most Valuable Player (MVP): 2018
- 1 × NBA Sixth Man of the Year : 2012
- 5 × All-NBA First Team : 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- 1 × All-NBA Third Team : 2013
- 8 × NBA All-Star : 2013-2020
- 3 × NBA Scoring Champion: 2018, 2019, 2020
- 4 × Most points of the season: 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020
- 1 × Most assists per game: 2017
- 1 × Most steals per game: 2020
- NBA All-Rookie Second Team : 2010
- Olympic champion at the 2012 Olympic Summer Games
- World champion at the 2014 World Basketball Championship
- Only NBA player with 50+ points, 15+ assists and 15+ rebounds in one game
- Most points for a triple-double (60)
- Only player with 2,000+ points (2,356), 900+ assists (907) and 600+ rebounds (659) in an NBA season
- Only player in NBA history with 35+ points (36.1) and 7+ assists (7.5) on average over one NBA season ( 2018/19 )
- 61 points in one game; Franchise record for the Houston Rockets
- Only player with at least 30 points against all 29 opposing teams in an NBA season ( 2018/19 )
- Harden stands out among pack of top shooting guards | NBA.com. March 8, 2017, accessed April 22, 2020 .
- NBA.com 2015-16 GM Survey | NBA.com. March 6, 2017, accessed April 22, 2020 .
- Unless otherwise stated, the information comes from James Harden - player profile on NBA.com (English)
- http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3992/year/2010/james-harden , accessed on February 23, 2013
- Lynn Zinser: Even in the NBA, Fists (and Elbows) of Fury. In: New York Times website . April 23, 2012, accessed May 26, 2012 .
- Metta World Peace Barred 7 Games for Elbow. In: New York Times website . Associated Press , April 24, 2012, accessed May 26, 2012 .
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original dated May 30, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed February 4, 2013
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original from May 27, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed February 4, 2013
- Thunder's James Harden wins Kia Sixth Man Award. (No longer available online.) NBA website, May 10, 2012, archived from the original on May 10, 2012 ; accessed on May 10, 2012 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Rockets sign new pickup Harden to five-year deal , accessed February 4, 2013
- http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20121101 , accessed on February 4, 2013
- http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20121103 / http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20121101 , accessed on February 4, 2013
- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1513365-james-harden-notches-first-career-triple-double-in-rockets-win-over-bobcats , accessed on February 4, 2013
- Harden's career-high 51 lead Rockets over Kings 115-111
- James Harden, not Stephen Curry, wins MVP at NBPA's first Players' Awards
- NBA & ABA Single Season Leaders and Records for Turnovers
- Rockets Guard James Harden scores historic triple double. basketball.de, January 1, 2017, accessed January 1, 2017 .
- Franziska Wendler: Harden MVP - LeBron comes away empty-handed. NBA Awards: James Harden is awarded MVP, Ben Simmons and Dwane Casey. On: Sport1 website; Ismaning, June 26, 2018. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- Harden scores career-best 61, Rockets edge Knicks 114-110 . espn.com, January 24, 2019.
- Twitter: Jonathan Feigen
- http://www.basketball-reference.com/olympics/athletes/james-harden-1 , accessed on February 4, 2013
- fiba.com , accessed on September 17, 2014
- http://www.nba.com/thunder/stats/2011 , accessed on February 4, 2013
- Keith Schlosser: The Value of James Harden. In: New York Times website . April 27, 2012, accessed May 26, 2012 .
- http://de.global.nba.com/stats/teams/teamStats.xhtml?teamId=1610612745&season=2012&tz=GMT+1&dst=1&locale=de ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was created automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed February 4, 2013
- James Harden Stats | Basketball-Reference.com. Retrieved April 18, 2018 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Harden, James Edward Jr. (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American basketball player|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 26, 1989|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Los Angeles , California , United States|