|birthday||28th February 1999 (age 21)|
|place of birth||Ljubljana , Slovenia|
|NBA draft||2018 , 3rd pick , Atlanta Hawks|
|Clubs as active|
Luka Dončić (born February 28, 1999 in Ljubljana ) is a Slovenian basketball player who has been active in the North American professional league NBA for the Dallas Mavericks since 2018 . He is currently considered the greatest talent in European basketball and has already received numerous individual awards at a young age - including the Most Valuable Player Award (MVP) of the EuroLeague and the ACB league, as well as the NBA Rookie of the Year Award .
life and career
Luka Dončić, son of the former Slovenian professional basketball player and national player Saša Dončić , began his career in 2010 at KK Union Olimpija . As early as February 2012, the then 12-year-old started taking part in invitation tournaments in the ranks of the U14 team of the Spanish top club Real Madrid . In the summer of 2012 he finally moved to the Spanish capital and from then on played in the youth of the “royal”.
Dončić was convincing in the junior divisions and, despite his young age, moved from the U14 (Infantil A) to the U16 (Cadete A) after only one season and made his debut in the 2013/14 season in Real Madrid's A youth team. He played his first adult game on October 12, 2014 in the ranks of the Madrid B-team, in the EBA league, the fourth Spanish division.
On April 30, 2015, Dončić made his debut in Real Madrid's senior squad against Unicaja Málaga . At just 16 years and two months, he became the youngest player in the club's history and, behind Ricky Rubio (14 years and 11 months) and Ángel Rebolo (15 years and three months), the third youngest ever to play a game in the League ACB denied.
On November 29 of the same year Dončić reached in a championship game against CB Bilbao Berri 15 points and an effectiveness value of 22. So he set new records for players under 17 years in the ACB league. The previous bests were held by Ricky Rubio with 12 points and an effectiveness value of 18. On December 4, 2016 Dončić set new records for players under the age of 18 in the derby against Baloncesto Fuenlabrada with 23 points, eleven assists and an effectiveness value of 34. He was also the youngest basketball player in the history of the Spanish championship to win a double-double and was voted the best player of the round.
In the 2017/18 season, Dončić won the most important European club competition, the EuroLeague , with Real Madrid , and was named best player in both the regular season and the final tournament . This made him the youngest player to ever receive these awards.
In the 2018 NBA draft , Dončić was selected third by the Atlanta Hawks and transferred to the Dallas Mavericks that same evening against Trae Young and a future first-round selection right . In the 2018/19 season , he was the second youngest player in NBA history to achieve a triple-double . With a total of eight triple doubles in his first season, he took third place in the all-time best list behind Oscar Robertson (26) and Ben Simmons (12). He was also the only player to be named Rookie of the Month five times in a row during the season . In the 2018/19 season he played 72 NBA games, in which he was always part of the starting line-up. He led Dallas with an average of 21.1 points per match, and he also prepared six basket wins for his teammates per game, which was also a maximum within the Mavericks line-up. At the end of his first 2018/19 NBA season , Dončić received the NBA Rookie of the Year Award . 98 out of 100 eligible voters had chosen Doncic as the best rookie .
On November 19, 2019, he scored 42 points, twelve assists and eleven rebounds in the game against the San Antonio Spurs . This made him the second youngest player in NBA history (after LeBron James ), who managed a triple-double with over 40 points. The following day, in the game against the Golden State Warriors , he managed another triple-double. He achieved his 35 points, ten rebounds and eleven assists in just 25 minutes of playing time. Never before in NBA history had a player managed to score a 35-point triple-double so quickly. It also made Dončić the youngest player in NBA history with two consecutive 35-point triple doubles.
In his second NBA season, Dončić was voted best player in the Western Conference for October / November. In November 2019, he achieved an average of 30-point triple-double (32.4 points, 10.3 rebounds, 10.4 assists), which had previously only been achieved by Oscar Robertson and Russell Westbrook . On December 8 of the same year, he overtook Michael Jordan in the most consecutive games with at least 20 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists (20 games). The streak ended on December 14, 2019 when Dončić sustained an ankle injury in the second minute of the game against Miami Heat.
Style of play
Dončić is very self-confident on the field. Even as a youth in the men's field, he did not shy away from seizing responsibility at crucial moments of the game. He has a strong offensive urge and uses a variety of throwing techniques in the attack and is therefore difficult to calculate for the opposing defense. Despite close cover, he does not shy away from firing throws in a spectacular manner far outside the two-point area. Dončić has playmaking qualities and is able to work out and then complete throwing positions himself while in possession of the ball, as well as to serve next men in promising positions with passes. He uses clever tempo changes in the attack, his wit, feints, good body control and his ability to quickly finish the throw - either from medium and long distance or by pulling to the basket, where he cleverly uses his body to protect the ball, impose fouls on defenders and to be completed in the vicinity of the board despite distress. Critics initially pointed to a lack of explosiveness in Dončić's first step and a lack of consistency in the three-point throw. In addition, after his move to the NBA, there was still room for improvement, especially in defense.
- EuroLeague : 2017/18
- Intercontinental Cup : 2015
- Spanish championship : 2014/15, 2015/16, 2017/18
- Spanish Cup : 2015/16, 2016/17
- European Champion : 2017
- NBA All-Star : 2020
- NBA Rookie of the Year Award : 2018/19
- NBA Player of the Month Award : X – XI / 2019 (Western Conference)
- NBA Rookie of the Month Award : X – XI / 2018, XII / 2018, I / 2019, II / 2019, III – IV / 2019 (Western Conference)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team : 2018/19
- EuroLeague Full Season MVP Award : 2017/18
- EuroLeague Final Four MVP Award : 2017/18
- EuroLeague Rising Star Trophy : 2016/17, 2017/18
- All-EuroLeague First Team : 2017/18
- Liga ACB Mejor Jugador (Best Regular Season Player) : 2017/18
- Liga ACB Mejor Jugador Joven (Best U22 player of the regular season) : 2016/17, 2017/18
- Liga ACB Mejor Quinteto (Team of the Year) : 2017/18
- Liga ACB Mejor Quinteto Joven (Team of the Year for U22 players) : 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18
- All-Tournament Team of the European Championship: 2017
- Luka Dončić - player profile on basketball-reference.com
- Luka Dončić - player profile on NBA.com
- Luka Dončić - player profile on Euroleague.net
- Luka Dončić - player profile on ACB.com (Spanish)
- Luka Dončić - player profile on mavs.com
- Luka Dončić - player profile on realmadrid.com
- Luka Dončić - Overview of participation in international FIBA tournaments on archive.fiba.com (English)
- Official NBA bio of Luka Doncic. Retrieved April 19, 2020 (English).
- Luka Doncic: The Hype is real. In: Basketball.de. June 19, 2018, accessed June 24, 2018 .
- NBA draft: Luka Doncic clears everything in Europe - will he end up with the Mavericks? In: Sport1.de . June 20, 2018, accessed June 24, 2018 .
- Toda la información de la Minicopa 2012. In: ACB.com . February 19, 2012, accessed May 1, 2015 (Spanish).
- All Hail Luka Dončić, Europe's 16-Year-Old Hoops Prince. In: BleacherReport.com . November 13, 2015, accessed November 17, 2015 .
- EBA: El precoz debut de Luka Doncic en las competiciones FEB. In: FEB.com . October 14, 2014, accessed May 1, 2015 (Spanish).
- Slovenian Luka Dončić already a big name at just 16. In: FIBA.com . April 23, 2015, accessed May 1, 2015 .
- A royal child prodigy. In: Spox.com . August 17, 2015, accessed November 17, 2015 .
- Luka Doncic debuta con 16 años, el tercero más joven en la historia. In: ACB.com . April 30, 2015, Retrieved May 1, 2015 (Spanish).
- Luka Doncic, el más joven en hacer 15 points y 22 de valoración. In: ACB.com . November 29, 2015, accessed December 1, 2015 (Spanish).
- Luka Doncic, Jugador de la Jornada 11. In: ACB.com . December 4, 2016, Retrieved December 6, 2016 (Spanish).
- 2017–18 Turkish Airlines EuroLeague MVP: Luka Doncic, Real Madrid. In: EuroLeague.net . May 20, 2018, accessed June 24, 2016 .
- Doncic chosen Final Four MVP. In: EuroLeague.net . May 20, 2018, accessed June 24, 2016 .
- Atlanta Hawks send Luka Doncic to Dallas Mavericks for Trae Young, pick. In: NBA.com . June 21, 2018, accessed June 24, 2016 .
- Mavericks' Luka Doncic Becomes 2nd-Youngest NBA Player to Record Triple-Double. In: BleacherReport.com . January 22, 2019, accessed April 14, 2019 .
- Luka Doncic passes Magic Johnson for third-most triple-doubles by a rookie in NBA history. In: SportingNews.com. April 10, 2019, accessed April 14, 2019 .
- Luka Dončić sweeps Rookie of the Month honor in the Western Conference. In: EuroHoops.net. April 11, 2019, accessed April 14, 2019 .
- Luka Doncic Stats. In: basketball-reference.com. Accessed May 27, 2019 .
- Dallas Mavericks, Statistics, Players, Traditional. In: stats.nba.com. Accessed May 27, 2019 .
- SPOX.com: NBA Awards 2019: Luka Doncic named Rookie of the Year by the Dallas Mavericks . June 25, 2019. Online at www.spox.com. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Stern.de: Talent of the century Luka Doncic: This boy inherits Dirk Nowitzki faster than expected . Retrieved November 21, 2019.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Luka Dončić named Kia Players of the Month. NBA.com, December 3, 2019, accessed December 9, 2019 .
- Luka Doncic averages 30-point triple-double in brilliant November. NBA.com, November 30, 2019, accessed December 9, 2019 .
- Luka Doncic passes Michael Jordan with 19th straight game of 20-5-5. NBA.com, December 8, 2019, accessed December 9, 2019 .
- Zach Kram: Luka Doncic Is Already a Killer in Crunch Time. January 16, 2019, accessed May 27, 2019 .
- Luka Doncic. In: delayofgamehoops.com. Retrieved May 27, 2019 .
- Patrick Redford: Luka Dončić Appears To Be The Real Deal. Retrieved May 27, 2019 .
- Jonathan Wasserman: Luka Doncic 2018 NBA Draft: Scouting Report for Dallas Mavericks' Pick. Accessed May 27, 2019 .
- Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Stuttgart Germany: Luka Doncic: The new superstar. Retrieved May 27, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Slovenian basketball player|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 28, 1999|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ljubljana , Slovenia|