Calendar overview 1053
|Byōdō-in , Uji, Japan|
battle of Civitate the Normans
defend their property in southern Italy
against a papal army.
becomes Earl of Wessex .
|1053 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||501/502 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1596/97 (southern Buddhism); 1595/96 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||62nd (63rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||415/416 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||431/432 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||444/445 (April 22-23)|
|Jewish calendar||4813/14 (September 15/16)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1363/64 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1364/65 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1109/10 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Kingdom of England
- April 15 : With the death of his father Godwin of Wessex , Harold Godwinson becomes Earl of Wessex and thus the second most powerful man in England . Godwin's younger son, Leofwine Godwinson , becomes Earl of Kent .
- June 18 : In the Battle of Civitate , the Normans, led by Richard von Aversa , Humfred von Hauteville and Robert Guiskard, defeat a superior papal army. Pope Leo IX falls into captivity and has to recognize the Norman possessions in southern Italy .
Holy Roman Empire
- The Bavarian Duke Konrad I , who since his installation in 1049 with Emperor Heinrich III. has come into conflict, this is canceled. He then flees to Andreas I in Hungary, with whom he allies against the emperor.
First documentary mentions
- Gnotzheim is first mentioned in a document.
- Adalbero von Eppenstein becomes Bishop of Bamberg as the successor to Hartwig, who died at the beginning of the year .
Date of birth saved
Exact date of birth unknown
- Dietrich V , Count of Holland († 1091 )
- Hugo of Grenoble , French bishop († 1132 )
- Vladimir Vsevolodowitsch Monomakh , Kiev Grand Duke († 1125 )
Date of death secured
- March 25th : Prokop , Czech saint and priest (* around 970 )
- April 15 : Godwin, Earl of Wessex , English nobleman (* around 1001 )
- June 18 : Adalbert II , Count of Winterthur (* around 1025 )
- June 18 : Werner II. , Count von Maden (* around 1020 )
- October 25th : Enguerrand II , Count of Ponthieu
Exact date of death unknown
- October: Wulfsige , Bishop of Lichfield
- Hartwig , German Chancellor and Bishop of Bamberg