Calendar overview 804
|Leo III consecrates the chapel of the royal palace in Aachen.|
|804 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||252/253 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1347/48 (southern Buddhism); 1346/47 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||58th (59th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||166/167 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||182/183 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||188/189 (December 7/8)|
|Jewish calendar||4564/65 (September 8/9)|
ab urbe condita MDLVII (1557)
Diocletian's era : 520/521 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1114/15 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1115/16 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||860/861 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Obelerio Antenoreo becomes Doge of Venice after his predecessor Giovanni Galbaio was overthrown the previous year.
- Last campaign of the Saxon Wars : The three northern Elbe Sachsengaue of Holstengau (Central) Holstein , Stormarn and Dithmarschen are conquered by Charlemagne , and the Franconian Empire is expanded to the Elbe and Saale .
- Charlemagne meets ambassadors from the Danish king Gudfred and Drasco , the prince of the Abotrites, in Hollenstedt, southeast of Stade , where he has set up his headquarters in the fight against the North Elbe Saxons. It passes the Abodrites the überelbischen (Northelbian) districts to power after the previous resident, to the Saxons belonging Nordalbingia deported.
First documentary mentions
science and technology
- Charlemagne founded the Carolinum grammar school in Osnabrück , which today is probably the oldest grammar school in Germany.
Religion and culture
- A Japanese embassy under the Saichō reached China, as a result of which tea and the Tendai-shū school based on the Chinese Tiantai tradition found their way into Japan.
- Urolf succeeds Waldrich , who died on August 22nd, as Bishop of Passau .
- After the death of Richbod on October 1 will Wizzo the Archbishop of Trier collected.
- The chapel of the royal palace in Aachen is completed by Master Odo von Metz and by Pope Leo III. consecrated.
- The Diocese of Halberstadt is founded by Ludwig the Pious .
- around 804: The Martyrologium Gellonense is created.
Date of death secured
- May 19 : Alcuin , Anglo-Saxon scholar and advisor to Charlemagne (* 735 )
- August 22nd : Waldrich , Bishop of Passau
- October 1st : Richbod , Archbishop of Trier