|Location in Maine|
|Foundation :||January 24, 1825|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Hancock County|
|Time zone :||Eastern ( UTC − 5 / −4 )|
|Residents :||1,483 (as of 2010)|
|Population density :||15.7 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||107.3 km 2 (approx. 41 mi 2 ) of
which 94.41 km 2 (approx. 36 mi 2 ) is land
|Height :||60 m|
|Postal code :||04634|
|Area code :||+1 207|
|GNIS ID :||0582479|
Franklin is located southeast in Hancock County, on Taunton Bay in the Atlantic Ocean . In the area of the town there are several lakes in the southwest. They include the centrally located Georges Pond and to the west of this the Great Pond . The surface is rather flat, the highest point is the 171 m high Hardwood Hill .
All distances are given as straight lines between the official coordinates of the places from the 2010 census.
- North: Eastbrook , 2.3 mi
- East: East Hancock , Unorganized Territory , 11 mi
- Southeast: Sullivan , 6.5 mi
- Southwest: Hancock , 3.5 mi
- West: Central Hancock , Unorganized Territory, 8.4 mi
- Northwest: Waltham , 4.9 mi
There are several settlement areas in Franklin : East Franklin , Egypt , Franklin and West Franklin .
The mean mean temperature in Franklin is between -7.22 ° C (19 ° Fahrenheit ) in January and 20.6 ° C (69 ° Fahrenheit) in July. This means that the place is around 6 degrees cooler than the long-term average in the USA. The snowfalls between October and May are up to two and a half meters, more than twice as high as the average snow depth in the USA; the daily sunshine duration is at the lower end of the range in the USA.
The Town Franklin area was originally named Townships No. 8 and 9 Southern Division (T8 & T9 SD) organized. On January 24, 1825, the town was organized from these plantations. It was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin .
In 1837 another part of township No. 9 and in 1857 parts of township No. 10. Added to Franklin area. In 1852 Franklin gave land to the Town of Hancock.
|Census Results - Town of Franklin, Maine|
Culture and sights
Economy and Infrastructure
Franklin does not own any medical facilities or hospitals of its own. The closest are in Ellsworth and Bar Harbor.
The Franklin Public Library is located on Maine Street in Franklin.
Franklin belongs to RSU 24 with Eastbrook, Gouldsboro, Prospect Harbor, Sorrento, Steuben, Sullivan, Sumner and Winter Harbor.
The following schools are offered in the school district:
- Cave Hill School in Eastbrook with school classes from pre-kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Ella Lewis School in Steuben with school classes from pre-kindergarten to 6th grade.
- Mountain View School in Sullivan with school classes from pre-kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Peninsula School in Prospect Harbor with school classes from pre-kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Sumner Memorial High School in Sullivan
- Franklin in the United States Geological Survey's Geographic Names Information System , accessed May 31, 2018
- Maine 2010 Census Results ; official publication of the Census Authority, (English; PDF; 32.5 MB)
- Hardwood Hill. In: peakery.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018 .
- Coordinates of the locations of the Census Authority 2010
- Franklin, Hancock County | Maine Genealogy. In: mainegenealogy.net. Retrieved June 1, 2018 .
- Franklin, Maine (ME 04634) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders. In: city-data.com. www.city-data.com, accessed on June 1, 2018 (English).
- History of Franklin, Maine. In: rays-place.com. history.rays-place.com, accessed June 1, 2018 .
- Population 1830–2010 according to census results
- Robertson Quarry Galamander ( English ) National Park Service. February 10, 192. Retrieved April 10, 2019.
- Franklin Public Library. In: librarything.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018 .
- Regional School Unit 24. In: rsu24.org. Retrieved June 1, 2018 .