|Location in Maine|
|Foundation :||February 17, 1789|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Hancock County|
|Time zone :||Eastern ( UTC − 5 / −4 )|
|Residents :||2,053 (as of 2010)|
|Population density :||21.5 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||142.14 km 2 (approx. 55 mi 2 ) of
which 95.52 km 2 (approx. 37 mi 2 ) is land
|Height :||56 m|
|Postal code :||04660|
|Area code :||+1 207|
|GNIS ID :||0582611|
Mount Desert is located on Mount Desert Island in Penobscot Bay off the coast of Main in the Atlantic Ocean , centrally in the south of Hancock County. It occupies the central part of the island. The largest lake in the town is Long Pond , and there is also Echo Lake and Jordan Pond . The Somes Sound extends centrally deep in the area of Mount Desert and divides it almost completely. The surface is hilly and the highest point is the 415 m high Sargent Mountain . A large part of the area is taken up by Acadia National Park.
All distances are given as straight lines between the official coordinates of the places from the 2010 census.
- North: Bar Harbor , 4.9 mi
- East: Winter Harbor , 8.7 mi
- South: Cranberry Isles , 13.4 mi
- Southwest: Tremont , 9.2 mi
- West: Blue Hill , 14 miles
- Northwest: Surry , 20.0 km
- North-Northwest: Trenton , 5.4 mi
There are several settlement areas in Mount Desert: Asticou , Beech Hill , Hall Quarry , Long Pond , Northeast Harbor , Otter Creek , Pretty Marsh , Seal Harbor , Somesville, and Sound .
The mean mean temperature in Mount Desert is between −6.1 ° C (21 ° Fahrenheit ) in January and 20.6 ° C (69 ° Fahrenheit) in July. This means that the place is around 6 degrees cooler than the long-term average in the USA. The snowfalls between October and May are up to two and a half meters, more than twice as high as the average snow depth in the USA; the daily sunshine duration is at the lower end of the range in the USA.
The history of settlement on Mount Desert Island began in 1604 by Pierre Dugua de Mons . In 1688, Louis XIV gave the island of Mount Desert as a grant with additional areas to Antoine de la Motte Cadillac . Laumet was an officer in his service, later governor of Louisiana. Cadillac could not hold its own in the country and left it in 1713. His descendant Madame de Gregoire claimed the land in 1785 before the General Court of Massachusetts. However, this confirmed the claim minus the land that was currently settled by settlers.
The Mount Desert Island Plantation was organized in 1776. It included the entire island of Mount Desert and other surrounding islands. Mount Desert was organized as a town on February 17, 1789. As early as 1796, the independent town of Eden, now Bar Harbor, was founded in the northern part. The Town of Cranberry Isles was organized in 1830 and Bear Island was organized as a Town in 1849.
In 1838 the town of Seaville was founded from the areas of Bartletts Island, Hardwood and Robinsons Island, now Tinker Island. Bartletts Island was given back to Mount Desert in 1859. Hardwood and Robinsons Island are now part of Tremont, as is Mansel, which was initially organized independently in 1848.
Mount Desert Island with its towns developed into a popular holiday destination at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. Wealthy American families like the Rockefeller and the Astor owned vacation homes here.
|Census Results - Town of Mount Desert, Maine|
Culture and sights
In Mount Desert and its associated villages Northeast Harbor and Seal Harbor, a district and a number of buildings have been listed and placed on the National Register of Historic Places .
The following was placed under monument protection as a district:
- Northeast Harbor
- Bear Island Light Station , recorded in 1988, register no. 88000043
- Daniel Coit Gilman Summer Home , recorded in 1966, register no. 66000093
- St. Mary's-By-The-Sea , recorded in 2000, register no. 00000761
- Sea Change , recorded in 2009, register no. 08000991
- Union Church of Northeast Harbor , incorporated in 1998, register no. 98000722
- Seal Harbor
- Saint Jude's Episcopal Church , recorded 1986, register no. 86001905
- Seal Harbor Congregational Church , incorporated in 1985, Register No. 85000272
Economy and Infrastructure
There are several medical facilities and hospitals in Bar Harbor and Ellsworth.
There are public libraries in Villages Northeast Harbor and Somesville.
The Mount Desert School Department is responsible for school education in Mount Desert; Mount Desert is also part of the Mt Desert CSD and, with Bar Harbor, Bass Harbor, Cranberry Isles, Deer Isle, Frenchboro, Southwest Harbor, Swan's Island and Trenton, it is part of the Mount Desert Island Regional School System - AOS 91 .
In Mount Desert there is the Mount Desert Elementary School with school classes from kindergarten through 8th grade.
sons and daughters of the town
- Charles H. Fernald (1838–1921), geologist and zoologist
Personalities who have worked on site
- Samuel Fleming Barr (1829-1919), politician
- Marguerite Yourcenar (1903–1987), writer
- Moritz Geiger (1880–1937), philosopher
- Mount Desert in the United States Geological Survey's Geographic Names Information System , accessed June 10, 2018
- Maine 2010 Census Results ; official publication of the Census Authority, (English; PDF; 32.5 MB)
- Sargent Mountain. In: peakery.com. Accessed June 10, 2018 .
- Coordinates of the locations of the Census Authority 2010
- Mount Desert, Hancock County | Maine Genealogy. In: mainegenealogy.net. Accessed June 10, 2018 .
- Mount Desert, Maine (ME 04660) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders. In: city-data.com. www.city-data.com, accessed on June 10, 2018 (English).
- History of Mount Desert, Maine. In: rays-place.com. history.rays-place.com, accessed June 10, 2018 .
- Historical records: Early island ownership - Mount Desert Islander . In: Mount Desert Islander . 2017 ( mdislander.com ).
- Bar Harbor . In: Maine: An Encyclopedia . 2011 ( maineanencyclopedia.com ).
- Population 1790–2010 according to the census results
- Local: Maine.gov. In: maine.gov. Retrieved May 13, 2018 (American English).
- Mount Desert Island Regional School System MDIRSS AOS91. In: mdirss.org. Retrieved June 2, 2018 .