|Military designation:||P8 pistol|
|Country of operation:||Germany|
|Developer / Manufacturer:||Heckler|
|Production time:||since 1992|
|Weapon Category:||Self-loading pistol|
|Overall length:||194 mm|
|Total height:||136 mm|
|Total width:||38 mm|
|Weight: (unloaded)||0.77 kg|
|Barrel length :||108 mm|
|Caliber :||9 × 19 mm|
|Possible magazine fillings :||15 cartridges|
|Ammunition supply :||Bar magazine|
|Fire types:||Single fire|
|Number of trains :||6th|
|Visor :||Open sights|
|Closure :||modified Browning system|
|Charging principle:||Recoil loader|
|Lists on the subject|
The P8, like the USP from which it was modified, is made of plastic and metal. The grip is made of polyamide with reinforcements made of glass fibers and steel inserts, the slide and barrel are made of steel, as is the case with most firearms.
According to the requirements of the Bundeswehr, the P8 differs from the USP in three special features:
- Transparent, particularly dust-proof magazine
- P8-specific arrangement of the safety and release lever (from top to bottom: "Fire", "Safe", "Relax")
- Run with trains and fields instead of the polygon profile
The Bundeswehr provides the following accessories for the P8:
- Reserve magazine with magazine pouch
- Pistol holster
- Weapon cleaning device
- Laser light module ( LLM01 )
The ammunition of the type DM 51 (soft-core ammunition) used by the German Armed Forces is said to have too high a gas pressure, which can lead to cracks on the breech or barrel and thus to injuries to the shooter. According to the Federal Ministry of Defense , a total of 48 such incidents were recorded between the beginning of 2012 and September 2013, including 12 incidents with “rupture or crack”. The cartridge type DM91 (hard core ammunition) was already banned for the weapon in April 2012 after investigations at the Wehrtechnischen Dienststelle 91 for weapons and ammunition showed increased pressure peaks in 2011 . Most of the defects are attributed to wear and tear by the Federal Ministry of Defense. The P8 is specified for a service life of 10,000 rounds.
The P8 Combat is a special version for the special forces command and the boarding teams of the Navy . Instead of the combined safety and decocking lever, this version only has one decocking lever to ensure quick fire readiness.
- Heckler-Koch.de: Official product website
- Streitkraeftebasis.de: Pistol P8
- Military-Page.de: Pistol P8
- HKPro.com: The P8 German Police / Military Service Pistol (Engl.)
- Bimbel.de: P8 pistol in parts
- Armed forces base (this means the German Bundeswehr as publisher), data sheet "Pistole P8" (PDF, 52.4 kB) ( Memento from May 17, 2018 in the Internet Archive )
- Armaments: Bundeswehr “sees considerable defects” in the G36 assault rifle. In: spiegel.de. Spiegel Online , September 14, 2013, accessed September 14, 2013 .
- Thomas Wiegold : Problems with the G36: Let's go on (Update: BMVg statement). In: augengeradeaus.net. Eyes straight ahead !, September 14, 2013, accessed September 15, 2013 .