Harald Wohlfahrt (born November 7, 1955 in Loffenau ) is a German chef . Since 1993, the Schwarzwaldstube restaurant has been awarded three Michelin stars 25 times, more than any other German restaurant.
From 1970 to 1973, Wohlfahrt completed an apprenticeship as a chef at Mönchs Waldhotel in Dobel . From 1974 to 1976 he worked as a clerk with Willi Schwank in what was then the two-star restaurant Stahlbad in Baden-Baden , and in 1977 in Tantris with Eckart Witzigmann in Munich . In 1978 he became sous chef in Wolfgang Staudenmaier's Black Forest parlor in the Hotel Traube Tonbach in Baiersbronn-Tonbach . In 1980 he attended the master school in Baden-Baden and did an internship with Alain Chapel in Mionnay .
Since the autumn of 1980, Wohlfahrt has been head chef in the Schwarzwaldstube restaurant in the Hotel Traube Tonbach in Baiersbronn-Tonbach. From 1992 (1993 edition) until it was handed over in 2017, the Schwarzwaldstube was awarded three stars by the Michelin Guide . 25 years of three Michelin stars is the longest top award in Germany.
In July 2017 he handed over to his successor Torsten Michel , who was sous-chef from May 2007 and head chef since April 2016. Wohlfahrt has been advising the Festspielhaus Baden-Baden on culinary issues since autumn 2017 .
In 1991 Gault-Millau named him “Chef of the Year”.
Since 2005, Gault-Millau has given it the highest grade awarded in the German-speaking area (19.5 out of 20 possible points).
The gourmet rates the Schwarzwaldstube 5 out of 5 F, the Schlemmer Atlas awards 5 out of 5 cooking spoons. In the Hornstein ranking, he takes first place. In 1994 the New York Times votedWohlfahrt among the ten best chefs in the world.
In 2002, Wohlfahrt was awarded the Medal of Merit of the State of Baden-Württemberg , in 2003 he received the Medal of Merit of the Baden-Württemberg Tourism Association, and in 2004 he was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit with ribbon . In 2005 he was honored with the l'Art de Vivre honorary award “for the promotion of high culinary culture in Germany and for an extraordinary lifetime achievement” , with which up to now only Eckart Witzigmann and Martin Öxle have been awarded. In 2008 he was awarded the international Eckart Witzigmann Prize in the “Great culinary art” category.
In 2010, Wohlfahrt developed canned delicatessen for astronauts for the European Space Agency ESA . Wohlfahrt also cooked Black Forest specialties as bonus dishes for the astronaut Alexander Gerst and his mission in 2014.
Wohlfahrt has supported the Tannheim aftercare clinic near Villingen-Schwenningen for many years . Since 2010 he has also been a member of the Board of Trustees of the German Childhood Cancer Care Foundation for the Chronically Ill Child, which supports families with seriously ill children.
Former students of Wohlfahrt (selection)
Three Michelin stars
- Christian Bau ( Victor's Fine Dining by Christian Bau )
- Thomas Bühner (Restaurant la vie , closed since 2018)
- Klaus Erfort ( Guesthouse Erfort )
- Kevin Fehling ( The Table )
Two Michelin stars
- Wolfgang Becker (Restaurant Weinhaus )
- Tanja Grandits (Restaurant Stucki )
- Dirk Hoberg , (Restaurant Ophelia )
- Silvio Nickol (Restaurant Silvio Nickol )
- Götz Rothacker ( Jöhri's Talvo )
- Christoph Rüffer (Restaurant Haerlin )
- Jörg Sackmann (Restaurant Schlossberg )
- Douce Steiner ( Hirschen restaurant )
- Paul Stradner ( Brenners Park Restaurant )
- Hendrik Otto (Restaurant Lorenz Adlon dining room )
- Sebastian Zier (Restaurant Einstein )
In total, the restaurants of welfare students were awarded almost 80 stars by 2017.
- Fine from my kitchen . Augustus, Augsburg 1998, ISBN 3-80433-109-2 .
- Fine desserts from our kitchen . Augustus, Munich 2000, ISBN 3-80436-018-1 .
- Art and magic in the kitchen . Umschau, Neustadt an der Weinstrasse 2007, ISBN 978-3-86528-276-7 .
- Stefan Pegatzky and Harald Wohlfahrt: The cooking legend Harald Wohlfahrt . Tre Torri, Wiesbaden 2018, ISBN 978-3-96033-048-6 .
- Literature by and about Harald Wohlfahrt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Harald Wohlfahrt's website
- Harald Wohlfahrt: The man for the whole range. In: FAZ , November 24, 2004
- German cuisine: world class à la Harald Wohlfahrt. In: FAZ, December 22, 2007, by Jürgen Dollase
- The star-eaters visit Harald Wohlfahrt in the Schwarzwaldstube (2011)
- Interview with Harald Wohlfahrt: “You fight like a man possessed.” In: Handelsblatt , December 16, 2012
- Interview: "This 40 square meter kitchen was my life" In: Der Spiegel . December 16, 2017
- restaurant-ranglisten.de: Guide Michelin Germany 2015 - press release
- Restaurant.michelin.de: Schwarzwaldstube
- lideshare.net: 100 years of Michelin
- restaurant-ranglisten.de: Harald Wohlfahrt and Traube Tonbach agree
- sternefresser.de: 24 hours with Sous Chef Torsten Michel
- spiegel.de: Top chef is now giving up the spoon
- restaurant-ranglisten.de: New consultant job for Harald Wohlfahrt in Baden-Baden
- festspielhaus.de: The Festspielhaus restaurant - inspired by Harald Wohlfahrt
- Great cook at a large saucepan . In: Frankfurter Allgemeine , November 1, 2013. Accessed November 1, 2013.
- The l'Art de Vivre honorary award. (No longer available online.) Archived from the original on June 22, 2010 ; accessed on August 22, 2018 .
- Space food comes from the Black Forest . In: welt.de, February 15, 2008.
- Spätzle im Weltall - traube-tonbach.de: Harald Wohlfahrt cooks Space Food for ESA ( Memento of the original from November 28, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- suedkurier.de: Star chefs for Tannheim
- sueddeutsche.de: A three-star chef who is no longer allowed in his kitchen
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German cook|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 7, 1955|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Loffenau|