Every penny counts
Every cent counts (JRZ) is a fundraising campaign by Swiss Radio and Television (SRF) and Swiss Solidarity . It is based on the Dutch Original Serious Request and was carried out for the first time in December 2009.
In the years from 2009 to 2012 and 2014 to 2018, three well-known Swiss radio presenters each retired to a glass house for six days. From this “glass box” they broadcast a radio program around the clock for six days, while doing without solid food. The radio program from Every Rappen Counts is broadcast on Radio SRF 3 .
Passers-by could visit the glass box and hand in their donation on site or donate by phone or by deposit. Various actions are carried out during the week. In return for a donation, radio listeners can request a music title and thus help shape the music program or send greetings via SMS that are subject to a charge and then scroll across the screen as scrolling text. Before and during the campaign, there are numerous online auctions, the proceeds of which are donated.
The original concept was changed in 2013: SRF 3 broadcast the first two days from the studio in Zurich, then JRZ went on tour without a glass box. In 2014 they returned to the established concept with a glass box.
|year||Period||city||space||Moderators||Donation motto / purpose||Donation amount||Donation amount "end" (Swiss Solidarity)|
|2009||December 14-19||Bern||Bundesplatz||Mario Torriani , Nik Hartmann , Judith Wernli||malaria||CHF 9,200,000||CHF 9,348,113|
|2010||December 13-18||Bern||Bundesplatz||Tom Gisler , Nik Hartmann, Anic Lautenschlager||Children in conflict areas||CHF 8,996,326||CHF 11,526,209|
|2011||12-17 December||Lucerne||Europaplatz||Nik Hartmann, Anic Lautenschlager, Kathrin Hönegger||«Mothers in Need»||CHF 6,295,846||CHF 7,310,224|
|2012||December 17-22||Lucerne||Europaplatz||Nik Hartmann, Kathrin Hönegger, Franziska von Grünigen||"Every drop helps": Access to drinking water||CHF 7,243,703||CHF 7,502,827|
|2013||16-20 December||Zurich , Basel , Aarau , St. Gallen||Münsterplatz (Basel) ; Aarau station square; Flower Square St. Gallen||Mario Torriani , Judith Wernli , Kathrin Hönegger, Nik Hartmann||«For children in slums»||CHF 2,174,874||CHF 3,234,489|
|2014||December 17-23||Lucerne||Europaplatz||Nik Hartmann, Philippe Gerber , Tina Nägeli||"For families on the run"||CHF 6,127,335||CHF 7,018,137|
|2015||December 10-16||Bern||Bundesplatz||Nik Hartmann, Michel Birri , Anic Lautenschlager||«Together for young people in need»||CHF 4,109,635||CHF 4,233,026|
|2016||December 18-23||Lucerne||Europaplatz||Stefan Büsser , Rosanna Grüter , Fabio Nay , Tina Nägeli||"Help for children alone on the run"||CHF 6,162,076||CHF 6,724,991|
|2017||December 15-21||Lucerne||Europaplatz||Stefan Büsser, Fabio Nay, Tina Nägeli||«Education - A chance for children in need»||CHF 5'093'456||CHF 4,861,422|
|2018||December 15-21||Lucerne||Europaplatz||Anic Lautenschlager, Judith Wernli, Nik Hartmann||"A roof over your head"||CHF 5,706,310|
From December 14th to 19th, 2009, the fundraising campaign took place for the first time. A total of 9.2 million Swiss francs was raised for the fight against malaria . The moderation team consisted of Mario Torriani , Nik Hartmann and Judith Wernli . Reto Scherrer was employed as an external presenter for television. The project started on the morning of December 14th and was opened by Federal President Hans-Rudolf Merz . During the week, many prominent personalities such as Emil Steinberger , Gilbert Gress , Gölä , Polo Hofer , Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf and Dieter Meier visited the event. In addition, so-called "headphone concerts" took place. Performers like Marit Larsen or The Baseballs performed in the glass box. These concerts were broadcast live on headphones, which could be rented for CHF 20. These proceeds were also donated. The celebrities made themselves available for numerous auctions. Football coach Gilbert Gress auctioned off his spare glasses, Dieter Meier his first golf club, Emil Steinberger an old manuscript, sports reporter Bernard Thurnheer a personal Combox announcement, Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey a night in a Swiss embassy and TV presenter Kurt Aeschbacher a place as a talk guest in his broadcast Aeschbacher . This broadcast was then broadcast live from the glass box. The place was auctioned for 15,000 Swiss francs. Every evening prominent personalities sold roses in downtown Bern , whereby the buyer could determine the price himself. These proceeds also benefited the campaign. The whole week there were always small highlights such as B. Flavia from Zurich proposed to her friend Marcel in the box, which everyone could follow live on the radio. The excerpt from the presenters was broadcast live on Saturday evening in the Happy Day program on SF 1 , which was also used for collecting.
From December 13th to 18th, 2010, the project was carried out for the second time on the Bundesplatz in Bern. A total of 8,996,326 Swiss francs were raised for fighting children in war. Tom Gisler , Nik Hartmann and Anic Lautenschlager acted as moderators in the glass box. Judith Wernli stayed with the project as an outside reporter and ambassador. Reto Scherrer and Rebecca Villiger were used as external moderators this year. Mario Torriani accompanied the project from the Congo , from where he reported several times a day about the current situation and local aid projects. In advance of this, the moderators visited areas where children are still used as soldiers in war. Various auctions were held again in 2010. As a contribution from SBB , you could drive through Switzerland with the red double arrow on December 14, 2010 and pay one franc for every kilometer driven. The Swisscom actively participated in the project. She collected old cell phones all over Switzerland, which were then sold to developing countries . These proceeds also benefited the campaign. In addition, Swisscom provided all telephone lines associated with the project free of charge. Headphone concerts will take place again in 2010 on Bundesplatz. In 2010, in addition to bands, comedians and DJs performed .
- The Egyptian investor Samih Sawiris promised over the phone to increase the amount donated at the end of the week by 20 percent.
- On Wednesday afternoon, pop singer Baschi sang his JRZ anthem with several hundred passers-by on Bern's Bundesplatz.
From December 12th to 17th, the fundraising campaign Every Rappen Counts was held for the third time. This time on the Europaplatz in Lucerne . Nik Hartmann and Anic Lautenschlager moderated from the glass box for six days again this year. Newly arrived Kathrin Hönegger . The donation motto was Mothers in Need . A total of CHF 6,295,846 was collected.
From December 17th to 22nd, the fundraising campaign took place again on Europaplatz in Lucerne. The moderation team consisted of the predecessors Nik Hartmann and Kathrin Hönegger and Franziska von Grünigen joined the team. The donation motto was every drop helps , where the lack of drinking water in other countries was an issue. A total of CHF 6,712,839 was donated, with a financial entrepreneur and his family alone contributing 1 million Swiss francs.
From December 16th to 20th, JRZ collected donations again, this time for children who live in slums. For the first few days, JRZ broadcast from the radio studio in Zurich, after which “Every Rappen Counts” traveled across German-speaking Switzerland. JRZ stopped in Zurich, Basel, Aarau and St. Gallen.
From December 17 to 23, the fundraising campaign Every Rappen Counts was held for the sixth time. This time she was back on Europaplatz in Lucerne . Nik Hartmann was back on the moderation team, and Philippe Gerber and Tina Nägeli were added. The donation motto was "For families on the run".
Every centime counts was held for the seventh time in a row from 10 to 16 December , this time back on the Bundesplatz in Bern . The moderation team consisted of the predecessors Nik Hartmann and Anic Lautenschlager and Michel Birri , who was there for the first time. The donation motto was "Together for young people in need".
From December 18th to 23rd the fundraising campaign Every Rappen Counts was carried out for the eighth time in a row. This time again on the Europaplatz in Lucerne . The moderation team was newly appointed this year, consisting of Rosanna Grüter, Fabio Nay and Stefan Büsser. The donation motto was "Help for children alone on the run".
- For the first time in the history of Every Rappen Counts , a moderator had to be replaced. Rosanna Grüter lost her voice because of a vocal cord inflammation and was replaced by Tina Nägeli on Wednesday evening.
From December 15 to 21, the fundraising campaign Every Rappen Counts was carried out for the ninth time in a row. This year, the glass box was occupied by Radio SRF 3 presenters Tina Nägeli, Stefan Büsser and Fabio Nay . He and Stefan Büsser were there for the second time, Tina Nägeli for the third time. The donation motto was: "Education - A chance for children in need".
From December 15 to 21, the fundraising campaign Every Rappen Counts was carried out for the tenth time in a row. In the anniversary year, the three well-known SRF 3 presenters Anic Lautenschlager, Judith Wernli and Nik Hartmann moved into the glass box. It was the fourth time for Anic Lautenschlager, the second time for Judith Wernli and the seventh time for Nik Hartmann. The donation motto was: "A roof over your head". It was the last issue in this form.
In 2009, a hymn with the same title in dialect "Every black horse" was composed especially for the donation project. The composer is Lovebugs singer Adrian Sieber , who produced the song together with rapper Greis , Muriel Rhyner and Sad . The proceeds from the song were donated. The aim was to get the song to the top of the Swiss charts thanks to the downloads. In the end, the anthem only made it to number 46. Singer Ritschi also composed a song for the action with “Es geit üs alli a” (“It's all about us”).
The project's hymn in 2010 was called “Chinder im Chrieg” (“Children in War”) and is sung by Baschi. The song was recorded and published in November 2010 together with a children's choir from Baschi's home community of Gelterkinden . The song was on the Swiss charts for four weeks . The highest ranking was the 24th place.
Adrian Stern composed the 2011 JRZ anthem with his song “Mueter” (“Mother”).
The Friborg musician Gustav composed the hymn 100 milles gouttes d'eau (Eng .: 100 thousand drops of water) for the motto Every Drop Helps . The song was previously recorded with a children's choir from Düdingen FR and published on the official JRZ sampler.
Bastian Baker composed the 2014 JRZ anthem with his song “Leaving Tomorrow”.
With “Streets Of My Hometown” Pegasus delivered the 2015 JRZ anthem.
The song for “Every Rappen Counts” 2016 was written by Anna Känzig and is called “Lion's Heart”.
For the anniversary, the “JRZ Allstars” (Stefan Buck von Hecht , Anna Känzig , Baschi , Marc Sway , Ritschi , Adrian Stern , Dabu from Dabu Fantastic , Seven and Gustav ) got together and wrote the song “Eine Rappe zellt »recorded.
Every penny counts , however, is increasingly being criticized, on the one hand by aid organizations, which point out that the campaign does not generate new donations for the most part, but rather redistributes donations and thereby withdraws money from other aid projects. This means that the campaign is in competition with other aid organizations and can have a very big impact thanks to the extensive reporting. On the other hand, criticism of the design and the aggressive nature of the campaign to get people to donate has been expressed. In 2013, every centime counts was criticized because the glass box had been removed from the program.
The fundraising campaign worldwide
The campaign has already been carried out in other countries:
|Country or continent||Surname||Channel|
|Belgium||Music For Life||Studio Brussels|
|Africa||Serious request||Ghetto radio|
|Austria||Ö3 Christmas miracle||Hitradio Ö3|
- Netherlands: 3FM ( Memento of the original from December 23, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Highlights 2009 ( Memento of the original from November 1, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Every cent counts - also in 2010 ( Memento of the original from April 7, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF)
- “Every Rappen Counts” - also in December 2010 ( Memento of the original from December 24, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- With the donation train through Switzerland ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- retailer Coop made blue hats, a large part of which was donated. Swisscom collects old mobile phones ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- "Every Rappen Counts" this year in Lucerne . jrz.ch. July 12, 2011. Accessed on July 17, 2011. ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- SRF 3: “Every Rappen Counts” 2016: Help for children alone on the run. In: Swiss Radio and Television (SRF). August 30, 2016, accessed August 30, 2016 .
- SRF 3: Rosanna Grüter loses her voice in the glass box. In: Swiss Radio and Television (SRF). December 22, 2016, accessed December 24, 2016 .
- SRF 3: Tina Nägeli, Stefan Büsser and Fabio Nay move into the glass box. In: Swiss Radio and Television (SRF). September 25, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017 .
- SRF 3: “Every Rappen Counts” 2018 for a roof over one's head. In: Swiss Radio and Television (SRF). June 13, 2018, accessed June 13, 2018 .
- The JRZ hymn by Muriel, Adrian, Sad and Greis
- Baschi sings for children in war: The recordings for the "Every Rappen Counts" song ( Memento from November 18, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- SRF 3: Anna Känzig delivers the new “Every Rappen Counts” song. In: Swiss Radio and Television (SRF). October 28, 2016. Retrieved October 28, 2016 .
- SRF 3: De Song vom Tag: Yokko “Dreamer”. In: Swiss Radio and Television (SRF). November 10, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017 .
- SRF 3: This is the “Every Rappen Counts” song 2018! In: Swiss Radio and Television (SRF). November 24, 2018, accessed November 30, 2018 .
- Aid organizations criticize "Every cent counts" . 20min.ch. December 18, 2011. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- "Every Rappen Counts": Seven million and discordant notes . Tagesanzeiger.ch. December 21, 2009. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- "Every cent counts" - legitimate or coercion . hitparade.ch. December 14, 2009. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- persoenlich.com, August 25, 2013
- Every cent counts worldwide