European Athletics Championships 1974/110 m hurdles of men
|11th European Athletics Championships|
|discipline||Men's 110-meter hurdles|
|Attendees||23 athletes from 13 countries|
|Competition phase||September 6th (preliminary)
September 7th (semi-finals)
September 8th (final)
|gold||Guy Drut ( FRA )|
|silver||Mirosław Wodzyński ( POL )|
|bronze||Leszek Wodzyński ( POL )|
In this competition, silver and bronze medals were awarded to two brothers from Poland. The French Olympic runner-up in 1972, Guy Drut , became European champion . He won ahead of Mirosław Wodzyński . Bronze went to Leszek Wodzyński .
In these years there was a dichotomy in terms of best performances and records. Hand-stopped and electronically determined services were performed side by side. The official times were usually given in tenths of a second, which were rounded if electronic measurements were available. However, the record given in tenths of a second became less and less important. From 1977 the juxtaposition of the best times came to an end, from then on only the electronically measured value given in hundredths of a second was listed as a record.
Official records - given in tenths of a second
|World record||13.1 s||Rod Milburn||Zurich , Switzerland||July 6, 1973|
|Siena , Italy||July 22, 1973|
|European record||13.2 s||Martin Lauer||Zurich , Switzerland||July 7, 1959|
|Guy Drut||Paris , France||3rd June 1974|
|Fontainebleau , France||June 8, 1974|
|EM record||13.5 s||Eddy Ottoz||EM Athens , Greece||20th September 1969|
European champion Guy Drut improved the existing championship record in the final on September 8th by a tenth of a second to 13.4 seconds.
Electronically measured records
|World record||13.24 s||Rod Milburn||Olympic Games Munich , Federal Republic of Germany (now Germany )||7th September 1972|
|European record||13.34 s||Guy Drut|
|EM record||13.59 s||Eddy Ottoz||EM Athens , Greece||20th September 1969|
European champion Guy Drut improved the existing championship record in the final on September 8th by 19 hundredths of a second to 13.40 s.
Note on the stated best performances
The best performances named in the tables refer to electronically measured times.
September 6, 1974, 5:35 p.m.
The preliminary round was carried out in three runs. The first four athletes per run - highlighted in light blue - and the four fastest hurdlers - highlighted in light green - qualified for the semi-finals.
Wind: +1.0 m / s
|2||Frank Siebeck||GDR||13.93 SB|
|3||Przemysław Siciński||Poland||13.99 SB|
|4th||Ervin Sebestyen||Romania||14.14 SB|
|6th||Berwyn Price||Great Britain||14.28|
|7th||Sergio Catasta||Italy||14.40 PB|
|8th||Gerardo Calleja||Spain||14.54 PB|
Wind: +2.5 m / s
|1||Viktor Myasnikov||Soviet Union||14.08|
|4th||Manfred Schumann||BR Germany||14.31|
Wind: -1.2 m / s
|3||Eduard Pereversev||Soviet Union||13.96 SB|
|5||Petr Čech||Czechoslovakia||14.06 SB|
|6th||Efstratios Vasiliou||Greece||14.37 SB|
September 7, 1974, 5:20 pm
In each of the two semi-finals, the first four athletes - highlighted in light blue - qualified for the final.
Wind: +2.5 m / s
|3||Berwyn Price||Great Britain||13.78|
|7th||Viktor Myasnikov||Soviet Union||14.19|
Wind: +2.4 m / s
|7th||Manfred Schumann||BR Germany||14.04|
|8th||Eduard Pereversev||Soviet Union||14.21|
September 8, 1974, 4:00 p.m.
Wind: +0.5 m / s
|1||Guy Drut||France||13.40 CR|
|7th||Berwyn Price||Great Britain||14.05|
- European Athletics Championships - Rome 1974 from european-athletics.org, accessed July 10, 2019
- European Championship 1974 Rome, Men 110m Hurdles on todor66.com, accessed July 10, 2019
- Track and Field Statistics, EM 1974 on trackfield.brinkster.net, accessed July 10, 2019
- European Athletics Championships Zurich 2014 - Statistics Handbook , Men 110m Hurdles European Championship 1974 Rome, p. 420, Spanish / English (PDF, 13,363 kB) at european-athletics.org, accessed on July 10, 2019
- Results of all European Athletics Championships - 1974, 110 m hurdles men on sportschau.de, accessed on July 10, 2019
- 11th European Athletics Championships 1974 in Rome, Italy from ifosta.de, accessed on July 10, 2019
References and comments
- IAAF world records. Men's 110-meter hurdles , accessed July 10, 2019
- Progression of the European Outdoor Records, 110 m Hurdles Men , p. 16 (PDF, 271 kB), Spanish / English, accessed on July 10, 2019