Sao Gabriel da Cachoeira
|Sao Gabriel da Cachoeira|
Sao Gabriel da Cachoeira on the map of Brazil
|surface||109,184.896 km 2|
|Population density||0.34 inhabitants / km 2|
|Time zone||UTC −4|
|City Presidency||Clóvis Moreira Saldanha ( PT ) (2017–2020)|
|City patron||Archangel Gabriel|
São Gabriel da Cachoeira (officially Município de São Gabriel da Cachoeira ; German about St. Gabriel von Wasserfall ) is a municipality in the northwest of the Brazilian state of Amazonas , 852 km from the state capital Manaus . It borders on Colombia and Venezuela . A large part of the municipal area belongs to the "Pico da Neblina" national park and to reservations for the indigenous people of Brazil . The community is the Catholic bishopric .
It is also called Cabeça do Cachorro (dog's head) from the way it looks on the map .
As one of the largest municipalities in the country with an area of 109,185 km 2 - larger than Austria - São Gabriel da Cachoeira makes up about 1.3% of the Brazilian territory.
São Gabriel da Cachoeira is the municipality with the largest proportion of indigenous population in Brazil, nine out of ten inhabitants are indigenous. They belong to various indigenous tribes, including the Arapaço, Baniwa , Barasana, Baré , Desana, Hupda, Karapanã, Kubeo, Kuripako, Makuna, Miriti-tapuya, Nadob, Pira-tapuya, Siriano, Tariano, Tukano, Tuyuka, Wanana, Werekena and Yanomami , on. This also makes São Gabriel da Cachoeira the community with the largest number of different indigenous ethnic groups in Brazil.
They live in more than 400 small indigenous communities spread across the neighborhoods of the village of Iauaretê, where the administrative center is, and along the rivers that flow through the area, including the Río Vaupés and the Rio Negro .
An indigenous mayor was also elected here in Brazil for the first time in 2008: Pedro Garcia, a Tariano .
In the 1990s, the annual population growth was about 40%. The IBGE estimated the population in 2009 at 41,885.
In one unprecedented case in São Gabriel da Cachoeira 2002, in addition to Portuguese, the indigenous languages Nheengatu , Tucano and Baniwa, which are mostly spoken by the population , were recognized as official languages. Other parishes in Brazil have already taken the experience of the parish with this multilingualism as a model.
The municipality is classified as a "National Security Area" due to its strategic location. In their area there is a former fort , today the Second Jungle Infantry Brigade and the Fifth Battalion of the Brazilian Army's Jungle Infantry are stationed in São Gabriel . The 21st Companhia de Engenharia de Construção and a department for air traffic control are also located here.
The village and fort of São Gabriel da Cachoeira were founded in 1761 by the Portuguese captain José da Silva Delgado . The legal status changed several times, in 1991 the 100th anniversary of political independence was celebrated.
From 1943 to 1966 the community was called "Uaupés" after the Vaupés river . In 1968 it was declared a national security area.
The climate is classified as tropical, Af according to Köppen-Geiger. There is significant rainfall throughout the year in São Gabriel da Cachoeira. Even the driest month still has a lot of rainfall. The annual average temperature in São Gabriel da Cachoeira is 26.4 ° C, the average amount of precipitation per year is 2909 mm.
The lowest temperature ever measured in São Gabriel da Cachoeira was 16.6 ° C, measured on July 19, 1975. The highest was measured on September 22, 2002: 39.0 ° C. On May 30, 1973, the highest amount of precipitation in 24 hours was measured, 179.5 mm.
- Prefeitura de São Gabriel da Cachoeira. In: gov.br. 2018, archived from the original on March 26, 2018 ; Retrieved May 19, 2018 (Brazilian Portuguese).
- City Council website , Câmara Municipal (Brazilian Portuguese)
- Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística: Área territorial oficial of October 10, 2002, accessed on December 5, 2010
- Clovis Curubão 13 , website Eleições 2016. Retrieved May 22, 2017 (Portuguese).
- Prefeitura Municipal de São Gabriel da Cachoeira ( Memento of July 6, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- São Gabriel da Cachoeira climate: average temperature, weather by month, São Gabriel da Cachoeira weather averages. In: climate-data.org. de.climate-data.org, accessed on May 19, 2018 .
- Dados Meteorológicos - Amazonas, Sistema de Monitoramento Agrometeorológico (Agritempo), December 8, 2011 ( Memento of the original from December 20, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.