|Município de Barcelos
|Location of Barcelos in the state of Amazonas|
|founding||1758 as Vila
1931 as Município
|Mesoregion||Norte Amazonense (1989-2017)|
|Microregion||Rio Negro (1989-2017)|
|density||0.2 Ew. / km²|
|estimate||27,502 Ew. (July 1, 2019)|
|Parish code||IBGE : 1300409|
|Time zone||UTC −4 (summer: −3)|
|City Prefect||Edson de Paula Rodrigues Mendes (2017-2020)|
|Patron saint||Imaculada Conceição|
|GDP||151,583 thousand R $
5526 R $ per person
Barcelos , officially Município de Barcelos , is a Brazilian city in the state of Amazonas with 25,718 inhabitants (2010) and a large municipality area of 122,461 km² (2018). It is in the north border area with Venezuela .
The community is larger than several Brazilian states in terms of area. According to the 2010 census, 11,157 inhabitants lived in urban areas, the majority of which are located in rural areas. The Statistics Institute estimated 1 July 2019, the population total 27,502 residents who Barcelenser ( barcelenses ) are called. The population density is very low at 0.2 people per km².
The city on the right bank of the Rio Negro emerged from an indigenous forest village that was elevated to the Vila de Barcelos on May 27, 1758 and became the first capital of the then captaincy of São José do Rio Negro during the colonial days of Brazil, from which the current state of Amazon emerged , was determined.
Tourist destinations are the Ilha Nazaré (3 km), Ilha Cauima (6.6 km), Ilha Raimundo (8 km), Ilha Maporé (15.8 km), Ilha Saracura (20.1 km) or the Ilha Matada (24 , 6 km). The territory of Barcelos is part of the Jaú National Park ( Parque Nacional do Jaú in Portuguese ) and the Serra do Aracá State Park ( Parque Estadual Serra do Aracá ). The waterfall Cachoeira do El Dorado is located 211 km from the seat in the north . The Abismo Guy Collet cave, also in the north, is the deepest and longest in South America.
- Bento de Figueiredo Tenreiro Aranha (1769–1811), writer, representative of Amazonian regional literature
- Tatunca Nara , German-Brazilian impostor
- Município de Barcelos , website Cidade-Brasil.com (Brazilian Portuguese)
- IBGE : Cidades @ Amazonas: Barcelos. Retrieved September 10, 2019 (Brazilian Portuguese).
- IBGE : Estimativas da população residente no Brasil e unidades da federação com data de referência em 1 ° de julho de 2019. (PDF) Retrieved on September 10, 2019 (Brazilian Portuguese).
- IBGE: Cidades @ Amazonas: Barcelos - História. Retrieved September 28, 2018 (Brazilian Portuguese).
- Soraya Ayub: A Ong Akakor Geographical Exploring Descobre a Caverna Mais Profunda do Mundo em Quartzito. In: Anais do XXIX Congresso Brasileiro de Espeleologia , 2007. (PDF; 686 kB). Retrieved May 20, 2017 (Brazilian Portuguese).