The Stooges 2006 in Milan
|origin||Ann Arbor , Michigan , United States|
|Genre (s)||Garage rock , protopunk , hard rock|
|Ron Asheton († 2009)|
|Scott Asheton († 2014)|
|Dave Alexander († 1975)|
|Mike Watt (from 2003)|
|James Williamson (from 1970)|
|Scott Asheton († 2014)|
|Steve Mackay († 2015; 1970/71, from 2003)|
|Bill Cheatham (1970)|
|Zeke Zettner († 1973; 1970/71)|
|Jimmy Recca (1971)|
|Warren Klein (1973)|
|Bob Sheff (1973)|
|Scott Thurston (1973/74)|
The Stooges , also known as Iggy and the Stooges , was an American rock band formed in Ann Arbor , Michigan , in 1967 . The band is one of the later representatives of garage rock and pioneers of hard rock . They are considered to be a major influence on punk rock , which established Iggy Pop's reputation as the godfather of punk .
Iggy Pop played in the band The Iguanas as a drummer and singer in Ann Arbor ( Michigan ). After playing in the blues formation The Prime Movers and a short stay in Chicago in 1966, Iggy Pop returned to Ann Arbor and founded in the year with Ron Asheton ( guitar , formerly with The Chosen Few) and his brother Scott Asheton (drums) 1967 the band The Psychedelic Stooges , which was completed by bassist Dave Alexander at the end of the year. Her first appearance was on Halloween day 1967 at the University of Michigan . The band then toured mostly in the Michigan area. During that time the name was shortened to The Stooges . The band's performances were soon seen as scandalous and violent. Iggy Pop's provocative stage behavior in particular became an issue - he smeared himself on stage with minced meat or peanut butter , cut his chest with broken glass or showed his genitals.
The Stooges were signed by Elektra Records in 1968 . Their A & R - manager Danny Fields was at a concert by the MC5 to them under contract to take. There he tied the opening act - the Stooges - also to Elektra.
In 1969 the first, self-titled album was released, for which John Cale of The Velvet Underground could win as a producer . This first album reveals influences from the Rolling Stones , from US underground rock , later known as ' Sixties Punk ', and from the formal experiments of The Velvet Underground, especially the track We Will Fall , on which Cale was a violist. The piece I Wanna Be Your Dog was the first to address BDSM and is now considered a classic because of the catchy guitar riff . 1969 is based on the well-known Bo Diddley beat and combines it with distorted wah-wah guitars. The lines of text "It's 1969, ok / War across the USA / It's another year for me and you / Another year with nothing to do!" Are often interpreted as a swan song for the hippie movement and the ideals of 1968. Similarly, the piece “No Fun” is often set against the fun, fun, fun of the Beach Boys . Such positions explain the broad reception of the Stooges in the punk scene in the late 1970s.
In 1970 the second album Fun House was released. Steve MacKay worked as a saxophonist. Dave Alexander left the Stooges shortly after recording Fun House . He died in 1975 of complications from his alcoholism. Overall, this album is considered stronger than their debut because the band members were more well-rehearsed and focused. Lyrically, it depicts a desolate, dystopian city life, in which longing and desire are repeatedly torn by the longing for death often articulated by Iggy Pop, such as in the play 1970 : "Baby oh baby, burn my heart / Baby oh baby, burn my heart / Fall apart baby, fall apart / All night till we blow away ". Only tough rockers can survive in this life, celebrated by the album in pieces like Loose or Down on the Street . The theme song alludes to a fairground sensation, but maybe also to sex with children . The lack of success of the album led to the separation of the band and the termination of the collaboration by Elektra.
After the band broke up, Iggy Pop met David Bowie in New York in 1972 . Bowie encouraged him to reform the Stooges and helped the reunited band to a record deal with Columbia Records . As Iggy and the Stooges , they recorded their third album Raw Power in the fall of 1972 with the line-up Iggy Pop, Ron Asheton, Scott Asheton and James Williamson . The record produced by Bowie was released in 1973 and is considered the best album of the Stooges. For the first time the album consists of only short songs, all of which have the verse / chorus scheme of normal pop music. Musically it is more like classic hard rock than the first two records . James Williamson now played guitar, the former guitarist Ron Asheton bass. The lyrics, however, remain full of sexual energy ( Gimme Danger ), nihilism ( Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell ) and aggressiveness ( Raw Power ), as can be expected from an album that goes with the line "I'm a streetwalking cheetah with a heart full of napalm "begins. Years of bitter debates about the creation and quality of the mix of this LP show how important this LP is to this day.
After this album was also unsuccessful, the band broke up again. Iggy Pop went to a mental hospital for a long time in order to distance himself from his previous life as a rock musician. However, he found the time to record the album Kill City with James Williamson . It contains some pieces that were originally planned for the Stooges. Pop then moved to Berlin with David Bowie, where he began a successful solo career in 1976 with his help.
The Asheton brothers formed a short-lived band called The New Order , which also featured Dennis Thompson of the MC5 . This was followed by membership in the band New Race for Ron Asheton , in which, among others, ex- Radio Birdman members also took part. Asheton later joined Destroy All Monsters .
The Stooges formed anew in 2002 under the name Iggy and The Stooges and recorded some songs on the album Skull Ring with the following line-up: Iggy Pop, Scott Asheton and Ron Asheton, who played both guitar and bass in this formation . On the other songs on Skull Ring , Iggy Pop was accompanied by his then band The Trolls . They had performed a number of live performances in the US and Europe, with Mike Watt from the Minutemen and Firehose on bass completing the line-up.
In March 2007 a new studio album was released, The Weirdness , which was produced in October 2006 by Steve Albini . In January 2009, Ron Asheton was found dead in his home. On November 7th, 2009 Iggy and The Stooges played with James Williamson on guitar at the Planeta Terra 2009 Festival in São Paulo , Brazil .
On March 15, 2010, the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame .
Guitarist / bassist Ron Asheton died on January 6, 2009 of a heart attack. Drummer Scott Asheton succumbed to the same ailment on March 15, 2014.
Importance and Influence
- David Bowie created the name of his fictional character Ziggy Stardust based on Pop's "first name" Iggy.
- The band Radio Birdman owes its name to an interrogator of the text line "Radio burning up above" from 1970 .
- Iggy Pop tells the story of his first band in the song Dum Dum Boys on The Idiot .
- Kurt Cobain called Raw Power his favorite album.
Although unsuccessful during his lifetime, the Stooges were later seen as an important influence on different musical styles:
- on the punk scene of the late 1970s and early 1980s.
- on the indie , post-punk and alternative rock scenes of the 1980s and 1990s.
- on the heavy metal scene of the 1990s.
Many of Stooges' songs have been covered by representatives of these musical genres :
The Sex Pistols covered No Fun in 1978. Cover versions of Stooges songs played a. a. also The Damned ( Loose ) and The Dictators .
The Birthday Party performed Loose on Drunk on the Pope's Blood in 1982 . Sonic Youth performed I Wanna Be Your Dog on Confusion Is Sex in 1983 . Spacemen 3 covered Little Doll on Sound of Confusion in 1986 ; Rage Against the Machine 2000 Down on the Street on their Renegades album .
Guns n 'Roses covered Raw Power on their 1993 album The Spaghetti Incident? , Nebula I Need Somebody on her album To the Center (1999). Also Slayer coverten 1996 I Wanna be Your Dog .
Dakar & Grinser covered I Wanna Be Your Dog in 2000 , which appeared on the music label Disko B and thus also reached the electronic music scene . In 2012 Neneh Cherry covered the song Dirt in a free jazz version on their album The Cherry Thing with the Norwegian jazz trio The Thing ( Mats Gustafsson , Ingebrigt Håker Flaten and Paal Nilssen-Love ) .
The Rolling Stone listed the Stooges ranked 78 of the 100 greatest players of all time .
Top ranking, total weeks, awardChart placementsChart placements
(Year, title, rankings, weeks, awards, notes)
US106 (11 weeks)
185th place in the Rolling Stone 500
|1970||Fun house||-||-||-||UK- UK||US-US||
19th place in the Rolling Stone 500
US182 (3 weeks)
Iggy and the Stooges
Place 125 of the Rolling Stone 500
DE65 (1 week)
US130 (1 week)
|2013||Ready to Die||
DE62 (1 week)
AT26 (2 weeks)
CH50 (1 week)
UK77 (1 week)
US96 (1 week)
Iggy and the Stooges
gray hatching : no chart data available for this year
- 1976: Metallic 'KO - Live recording including the last concert of the Stooges in Michigan Palace , Detroit, which Iggy Pop personally recognized as an official Stooges album.
- 1980: I'm Sick of You
- 1988: Death Trip
- 1988: Live at the Whiskey a Gogo
- 1994: Rough Power
- 1997: California Bleeding
- 1999: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions
- 2000: Michigan Palace 10/6/73
- 2000: Double Danger
- 2001: Wild Love
- 2005: Telluric Chaos
- 2007: Escaped Maniacs
- 2009: You Don't Want My Name, You Want My Action (box with 4 CDs)
- 2010: A Thousand Lights
- 2010: The Electric Circus
- 2010: Have Some Fun: Live at Ungano's
- 2011: Sadistic Summer Live 2011 (Iggy and the Stooges)
- 2011: Raw Power Live: In the Hands of the Fans (Iggy and the Stooges)
- 2011: Roadkill Rising: The Bootleg Collection, 1977-2009 (box with 4 CDs)
- 2012: Live at ATP 2010 (Iggy and the Stooges)
- 1980: No Fun (feat.Iggy Pop)
- 1987: Rubber Legs
- 1987: Kill City / I'm Sick of You! (2 CDs)
- 1988: Open Up and Bleed
- 1989: My Girl Hates My Heroin
- 1990: Iggy and the Stooges (box with 5 vinyl singles, limited to 1500 copies)
- 1991: Night of Destruction
- 1991: Till the End of the Night
- 1994: Kill City
- 1995: Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell
- 1995: Open Up and Bleed!
- 1997: Head On
- 1997: Year of the Iguana
- 1998: Rubber
- 1999: Search and Destroy - The Detroit Studio Out-Takes
- 2003: Back to the Noise
- 2004: My Girl Hates My Heroin / Live and Rarities (2 CDs)
- 2004: Penetration (Iggy and the Stooges)
- 2005: Detroit Rehearsals Spring 1973 (2 LPs)
- 2005: Morgan Sound Studios - Ypsilanti Michigan March 1973 (2 LPs)
- 2005: Heavy Liquid (box with 6 CDs)
- 2005: Search and Destroy (2 CDs)
- 2006: Original Punks (2 CDs)
- 2007: Les Inrockuptibles Présentent (Titres Rares, Live, Demos) (Iggy Pop, James Williamson and The Stooges)
- 2008: Gimme Some Skin
- 2008: The Stooges / Fun House (2 CDs)
- 2009: More Power
- 2010: Jesus Loves the Stooges
- 2010: Move Ass Baby
- 2010: Dirty Power (2 CDs)
- 2010: Anthology Box - The Stooges & Beyond (Iggy Pop / The Stooges) (2 CDs)
- 2011: I Wanna Be Your Dog
- 2011: Collection - Australian Tour Edition (2 CDs)
- 2016: Playlist Best of The Stooges
- 1973: Play: Back (Iggy and the Stooges / Jesse Ed Davis)
- 1992: Siamese Dogs
- 1994: Rough Power EP
- 2005: Extended Play
- 1969: I Wanna Be Your Dog
- 1969: 1969
- 1970: Down on the Street
- 1973: Raw Power
- 1973: Search and Destroy
- 1977: (I Got) Nothing
- 1977: I Got a Right
- 1977: I'm Sick of You!
- 1988: Gimme Danger
- 1988: She Creatures of Hollywood Hills
- 1988: Raw Power
- 1988: pure lust
- 1998: What You Gonna Do
- 1988: Johanna
- 1989: Nowhere
- 1989: Till the End of the Night
- 1991: My Girl Hates My Heroin
- 2005: 1970
- 2007: My Idea of Fun
- 2009: Cock in My Pocket
- 2010: Asthma Attack
- 2013: No Fun (with The Black Keys )
- 2013: Burn (Iggy and the Stooges)
- 2007: Live in Detroit
- 2007: Escaped Maniacs (2 discs, + audio CD)
- 2010: Live at Glastonbury Festival
- 2011: Raw Power Live - In the Hands of the Fans
- Iggy Pop (Virgin Records official website)
- Mike Watt's website (accessed March 25, 2010)
- The Stooges on Allmusic (English)
- Iggy and the Stookes at Allmusic (English)
- The Stooges at Discogs (English)
- ↑ The Stooges: The Stooges (AllMusic)
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ^ Daniel Kreps: The Stooges Guitarist Ron Asheton Found Dead At 60 . January 6, 2009. Archived from the original on January 14, 2009. Retrieved on May 5, 2016.
- ↑ Drummer Scott Asheton has died. In: Spiegel Online of March 17, 2014 (accessed on March 17, 2014).
- ↑ http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/19/arts/music/scott-asheton-drummer-in-the-stooges-dies-at-64.html?ref=obituaries&_r=1
- ↑ http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stooges-drummer-scott-asheton-dead-at-64-20140316
- ↑ 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. Rolling Stone , December 2, 2010, accessed August 8, 2017 .
- ↑ Chart sources: DE AT CH US1 US2 / Album The Stooges Album Raw Power Album Ready to Die
- ^ The Billboard Albums by Joel Whitburn , 6th Edition, Record Research 2006, ISBN 0-89820-166-7 .
- ↑ Music Sales Awards: UK