Werner Münch (born September 25, 1940 in Kirchhellen ) is a German political scientist , former politician ( CDU ) and personnel and management consultant . From 1973 to 1978 he was the rector of the Catholic University of Applied Sciences in Northern Germany . From 1984 to 1990 he was a member of the European Parliament . From 1990 to 1991 he was the first finance minister and from 1991 to 1993 Prime Minister of Saxony-Anhalt .
Period soldier and studies
After graduating from high school in Salzgitter in 1961 , Münch was a temporary soldier in the Bundeswehr for six years (1961–1967) ; today he is a lieutenant colonel in the reserve. He studied political science , sociology and history at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg . In 1970 he obtained his Magister Artium . From 1970 to 1972 he was a research assistant at the University of Osnabrück . In 1974 he was promoted to Dr. phil. PhD.
From 1972 he was professor of political science and sociology at the Catholic University of Applied Sciences in North Germany , a state-recognized university of applied sciences for social affairs, in Vechta / Osnabrück . From 1973 to 1978 he was rector of the institution and president of the rectors' conference of church universities of applied sciences .
From 2006 to 2008, Münch taught political sociology at the Gustav Siewerth Academy (GSA) in Weilheim-Bierbronnen. In the winter semester 2007 he was, alongside Alma von Stockhausen , prorector of this private university.
European and national politicians
He was deputy chairman of the regional association of the CDU Oldenburg and a member of the board of the CDU in Lower Saxony .
From 1984 to 1990 Münch was an MEP of the Group of the European People's Party in the European Parliament . He was a member of the Committee on Youth, Culture, Education, Information (or Media) and Sport and the Committee on Energy, Research and Technology. He was also a member of the Central American Relationship Delegation and Contadora Group .
From 1991 to 1993 he was the chairman of the Saxony-Anhalt CDU regional association . From 1990 to 1991 he was Minister of Finance for the State of Saxony-Anhalt. On July 4, 1991, Münch succeeded Gerd Gies as Prime Minister with a black and yellow cabinet. The so-called spying affair also falls during his term of office. A parliamentary committee of inquiry in the state parliament of Saxony-Anhalt also dealt with this matter . On November 28, 1993 Werner Münch announced his resignation in connection with the salary affair .
Münch was accused by the subsequent Red-Green government of wrongly receiving too much salary in Saxony-Anhalt. After the administrative court of Magdeburg in the first instance reclaimed part of his salary, this decision was revoked by the higher administrative court of the state of Saxony-Anhalt , which determined that he had received his income lawfully. In parallel criminal proceedings before the Magdeburg Regional Court , he was acquitted of the charge of fraud .
On February 25, 2009, Münch resigned from the CDU and justified this with "lack of profile on the part of the CDU in federal politics", "the chairmen waving their way in important policy areas to satisfy their coalition partner", Angela Merkel's primary interest in "stabilizing her own position of power" and Merkel's inappropriate public criticism of Pope Benedict XVI.
HR and business consultants
From 1997 to 1998 he worked as a personnel and management consultant. In 1998 he became a member of the board of directors of Deutsche Bahn AG at the European Union in Brussels. Since 2001 he has worked as a consultant in Bulgaria , from 2001 to 2004 for the local ministry of economy and finance (area of responsibility for EU accession), and since 2005 in Azerbaijan .
- Data collection in the social sciences. An introduction to their methods. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 1971.
- The political responsibility of a minister of education. New universities founded in Oldenburg and Osnabrück . v. Hase and Koehler, Mainz 1976, ISBN 3-7758-0923-6 .
- ed. with Gerhard Herkenrath: Alternative, independent universities. The self-image of church universities of applied sciences . Bernward, Hildesheim 1978.
- with Klaus Weigelt: Christian responsibility for a humane world development. Latin America, continent of choice . Lower Saxony State Center for Political Education , Hanover 1981.
- ed. with Michael Möhnle: hub of world politics. Historic speeches before the European Parliament 1979–1987 . Olzog, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-7892-8150-6 .
- ed .: Our Europe - guarantor of free peoples (= history and state, volume 282). Olzog, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-7892-7550-6 .
- ed. with Günter Rinsche : Europe - our future. A dream comes true . Busse Seewald, Herford 1989, ISBN 3-512-00884-4 .
- Freedom without god. Church and politics are responsible. Media Maria, Illertissen 2017.
- Living with Christian values. Memories and Outlook. A conversation with Stefan Meetschen . Media Maria, Illertissen 2018.
- Norbert Beleke (Ed.): Who is who? The German Who's Who . 2007/2008 Volume 46, Schmidt-Römhild, Lübeck 2007, ISBN 978-3-7950-2045-3 , p. 922.
- Literature by and about Werner Münch in the catalog of the German National Library
- Werner Münch , Internationales Biographisches Archiv 27/2010 from July 6, 2010 (gi), in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely available)
- Entry on Werner Münch in the Members' database of the European Parliament
- Biography of Werner Münch at the Konrad Adenauer Foundation (written by Ralf Thomas Baus)
- Die Welt: Late judgment refutes accusation of rascality. , Die Welt, December 19, 1995
- Jonathan Osmond; Rachel Alsop: German reunification: a reference guide and commentary. Longman, 1992, ISBN 0-582-09650-2 , p. 227.
- Ralf Baus: Münch, Werner, History of the CDU, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung. Prime Minister, Professor, Dr. phil., * 25.09.1940 Kirchhellen / Westphalia, Roman Catholic. In: kas.de. Konrad Adenauer Foundation , September 1, 2013, archived from the original on September 1, 2013 ; accessed on September 1, 2013 .
- Affaires: The wish of the MP . In: Der Spiegel . No. 27 , 1993 ( online ).
- Magdeburg Administrative Court, judgment of November 21, 1994 (Az. 8 A 67/94 of November 21, 1995).
- OVG Magdeburg, judgment Az. A 3 S 6/96 of December 3, 1997.
- Magdeburg Regional Court, judgment of October 10, 1996, Az. 4 Js 42082/93.
- Judgment: Werner Münch. in Spiegel 37/1996 of September 9, 1996.
- Income increased in Spiegel 50/1997 of December 8, 1997, page 17.
- Katrin Pohl: SACHSEN-ANHALT: In the Intriganten-Stadl. In: Focus Online . September 9, 1996, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- FAZ.net: Werner Münch leaves the CDU "The Lavieren der Chairman" , February 25, 2009
- Forum German Catholics - About Us - Board of Trustees. In: forum-deutscher-katholiken.de. Forum of German Catholics , August 23, 2013, archived from the original on September 1, 2013 ; accessed on September 1, 2013 .
- linkstrend-stoppen.de: Prof. Werner Münch in Freiburg. In: linkstrend-stoppen.de. January 13, 2013, archived from the original on September 1, 2013 ; accessed on September 1, 2013 .
- CV of Prof. Dr. Werner Münch (CDU). (PDF; 11 kB) In: sachsen-anhalt.de. Saxony-Anhalt, December 10, 2010, archived from the original on September 1, 2013 ; accessed on September 1, 2013 .
- www.queer.de: Werner Münch on a crusade against "gender ideology" and gay marriage , downloaded on March 6, 2015
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (CDU), MEP|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 25, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kirchhellen|