Bernhard of Cles
Bernard of Cles ( Italian Bernardo Clesio ) (* 11. March 1485 in Castel Cles (Castle Glöß) in Cles , † the 30th July 1539 in Brixen) was a bishop and cardinal of the Catholic Church and from 1527 to 1539 President of the Council secrecy under Ferdinand I , who was elected King of the Holy Roman Empire in 1531 .
Bernhard came from a noble family from Trento. He studied law in Verona and Bologna and was then in the diplomatic service of the Diocese of Trento. On August 25, 1514, Cles became Bishop of Trent , was ordained a priest on September 8, 1515 and was ordained episcopal on September 11, 1515. Pope Clement VII elevated him to cardinal on March 9, 1530 and appointed him cardinal priest of the titular church of S. Stefano al Monte Celio on May 16, 1530 . On May 21, 1539 he became apostolic administrator of the Principality of Brixen .
- Franz Huter : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1955, ISBN 3-428-00183-4 , p. 115 f. ( ).
- Heinrich Ritter von Zeißberg : Bernhard von Cles . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 4, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1876, p. 324 f.
- Alfred A. Strnad : Bernhard von Cles (1485-1539). Origin, environment and intellectual profile of a man of the world of the Renaissance. On the appearance of a prince of the Trento church in the Cinquecento . Innsbruck, Vienna, Munich, Bozen 2004. Single publication from Innsbrucker Historische Studien 23/24 (2004)
- Cles, Bernhard von. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website, English)
- Tomb in the Requiem project
|George III by Neideck||
Bishop of Trent
1514 - 1539
|SURNAME||Bernhard of Cles|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Clesius; Bernhard von Glöß; Bernardo Clesio (Italian); Bernardo di Cles|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Cardinal of the Catholic Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 11, 1485|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cles|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 30, 1539|
|Place of death||Brixen|