Music year 1691
|Music year 1691|
|Agostino Steffani's opera Orlando generoso will be premiered in Hanover.||Giovanni Lenzeni's Balletti e Correnti a cinque stromenti will be premiered in Venice.|
- July 19 : When the German composer Nicolaus Vetter becomes court organist in Rudolstadt , Johann Heinrich Buttstett succeeds him as organist at the Predigerkirche in Erfurt with the title of council organist.
- February: Il zelo di Leonato by Agostino Steffani is performed as a revised version of La superbia d'Alessandro based on a libretto by Ortensio Mauro in the theater in Hanover.
- November 28 : Pascal Collasse's tragédie lyrique Astrée based on the libretto by Jean de La Fontaine is premiered at the Académie Royale de musique in Paris.
- The semi-opera King Arthur , or The British Worthy by Henry Purcell, based on the libretto by John Dryden , premieres at the Queen's Theater, Dorset Garden in London.
- The world premiere of the opera Orlando generoso, a “dramma per musica” in three acts by Agostino Steffani based on the libretto by Ortensio Mauro, takes place in Hanover.
- Creonto. Libretto: Rinaldo Cialli. Dramma per musica in 3 acts. First performance during the carnival season at the Teatro Sant'Angelo Venice.
- L'amante eroe. Libretto: Domenico David . Dramma per musica in 3 acts. First performance during the carnival season at the Teatro San Salvatore Venice.
- La Virtù trionfante dell'Amore e dell'Odio (Gl'amori ministri della fortuna) . Libretto: Francesco Silvani. First performance in autumn 1691 at the Teatro San Salvatore, Venice.
- Henry Purcell
- The Gordian Knot Unty'd, Incidental Music Z 597
- The Indian Emperor or The Conquest of Mexico, Incidental Music Z 598
- The Knight of Malta , Incidental Music Z 599
- The Old Bachelor , Incidental Music Z 607
- The Richmond Heiress or A Woman Once in the Right , Incidental Music Z 608
- The Wives' Excuse or Cuckolds Make Themselves , Incidental Z
- November 28 : The school drama Fastus confusus seu a Juditha proprio ense fusus Holofernes by Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber based on the libretto by Vitus Kaltenkrauter is performed for the first time in Salzburg.
- Balletti e Correnti a cinque stromenti, con il basso continuo per il harpsichord. Libro Quinto Postumo, op.16 (published by Giuseppe Sala, Venice)
- Carl Rosier
Giovanni Battista Bassani
- Salmi di compieta a trè e quattro voci concertati, con violini e ripieni Op. 10 (Venice)
- Ode for St Cecilia's Day
- Bianca Maria Meda
- Henry Purcell:
- Welcome, welcome glorious morn, Ode for Queen Mary's Birthday Z 338, April 30th
- Let us drink to the blades, Catch Z 259
- The surrender of Limerick, Catch Z 278
- Why, my Daphne, why complaining ?, Song Z 525
- Andreas Werkmeister - musical temperature
Date of birth saved
- January 28 (baptized): Johann Balthasar König , German composer and church musician († 1758)
- March 7th : Francesco Alborea , Italian cellist and composer († 1739 )
- September 27 : Josef Antonín Planický , Czech composer († 1732 )
- December 30th (baptized): Conrad Friedrich Hurlebusch , German composer († 1765 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Francesco Feo , Italian composer († 1761)
- Johann Gottfried Vogler , German composer, cantor, organist and violinist († after 1733)
Born around 1691
Date of death secured
- February 22nd : Juan Bautista del Vado , Spanish composer, organist and violinist (* around 1625)
- March 18 : Johann Heinrich Mundt , Czech organ builder of German origin (* 1632 )
- March 28 : Philipp Jakob Baudrexel , German theologian and composer (* 1627 )
- May 4th : Pierre Borjon de Scellery , French lawyer and composer (* 1633 )
- July 2nd : Marc'Antonio Pasqualini , Italian singer, castrato and composer (* 1614 )
- September 29 : Esaias Hickmann , German lawyer and composer (* 1638 )
- October 15 : Johann König , German organ builder (* 1639 )
- October 19 : Isaac de Benserade , French poet, wrote accompanying poems for the ballets Jean-Baptiste Lully (* 1612/1613)
Exact date of death unknown
- Jean de Hotteterre , French master turner and instrument maker (* 16th or 17th century)
- Johann Georg Reichwein , German bandmaster and composer (* 1640 )
- Giovanni Battista Volpe , Italian composer and conductor (* around 1620 )
- Theophil Antonicek, Jennifer Williams Brown: Ziani, Marc'Antonio. In: Grove Music Online. Oxford University Press, 2001, accessed August 20, 2020 .