|Canton||Saint-Maur-des-Fossés-1 , Saint-Maur-des-Fossés-2|
Métropole du Grand Paris and
Paris Est Marne et Bois
|surface||11.25 km 2|
|Residents||74,859 (January 1, 2017)|
|Population density||6,654 inhabitants / km 2|
|Post Code||94100, 94210|
Saint-Maur-des-Fossés is located southeast of Paris on the Marne and is almost completely enclosed by a loop of this river.
The city is divided into eight districts:
Saint-Maur was founded around a monastery founded in 639, which was initially called Saint-Pierre du Fossé . In 868 the abbey received relics of Saint Maurus . An alleged miracle in the 12th century and an ensuing pilgrimage prompted the monks to give the monastery the name the city still bears today.
Saint-Maur is connected to the local transport network in the greater Paris area through the following stations on the RER A line :
- Saint-Maur Creteil
- Le parc de Saint-Maur
- La Varenne Chennevières
There are a few smaller businesses in Saint-Maur, especially in the south of the city. The main companies that have settled in Saint-Maur are: RATP (transport), Essilor (optics) and Septodont (dental product innovation).
Saint-Maur is one of the most indebted cities in France. In 2010 the debt amounted to approx. 248.25 million euros. 89% of these consist of structured bonds. The loans taken out result in high interest rates that the city has to pay.
Saint-Maur-des-Fossés is the French twin town of:
The main sports clubs in Saint-Maur are:
- VGA Saint-Maur ( Omnisport , six-time French women's soccer and once French men's volleyball champion)
- US Lusitanos ( soccer )
- Stella Sports Saint-Maur ( handball )
- Saint-Maur Union Sports (SMUS) ( Omnisport )
There are many other clubs in Saint-Maur, especially in the field of martial arts . There are also numerous offers in the areas of gymnastics , swimming , equestrian sports , etc. In addition, Saint-Maur has a skate park.
- Germaine Tailleferre (1892–1983), composer
- Paul Stremler (1894–1938), racing car driver
- Raymond Radiguet (1903–1923), writer, poet and journalist
- Lucien Laurent (1907-2005), football player
- Louis Caput (1921–1985), cyclist and sports director
- Manu Katché (* 1958), musician ( drums )
- Jean Reverchon (* 1964), billiards player and world champion
- Jean-Marc Brucato (* 1968), football player
- Vanessa Paradis (* 1972), actress and singer
- Thomas Martinot-Lagarde (* 1988), athlete
- Pascal Martinot-Lagarde (* 1991), athlete
- Le Patrimoine des Communes du Val-de-Marne . 2nd Edition. Flohic Editions, Charenton-le-Pont 1994, ISBN 2-908958-94-5 .
- City website - Découvrez Saint-Maur , accessed on June 9, 2020